slodat's 521

Your 3.7 rear gears might be easier to source from a 80's truck. I got mine from a 85 720. There was about 5 of them in the yard that day that all had 3.7's. I was hoping to find a set of 3.9's.

And getting them from a truck means that you dont have to swap the spider gears out like you do with the wagon diff.

Jason

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the tip Jason! That will work perfect. I can pull the center chunk from one in the yard and take it to a shop to have new bearings and the powerbrute LSD installed and setup the backlash. Then, I can install the center chunk when I do the rear brakes.

I'm pretty certain I want the 3.7 ratio. The truck is being built to be driven, daily. 3.7 will be highway friendly.

According to the manuals, one of the wgns...auto or manual...got a 3.7 overseas.

Mike what about the 68's? I know the sedans got 3.7 in 68 only, maybe the goons did to... Just a thought :D

Interesting how he's listed them from '84...when the 720/HB switch happened in '85? I just went through this with prototyping my brake kit....there is a difference between the rotors of a 720 and a HB. He also has a statement by the pic.... Hardbody(720).

I think they're fine, but don't order rotors for an '84. Hub/calipers are the same between them, but the caliper offset on the stock spindles were different....which is why, I'm guessing, they normally don't list the 720 as compatible.

If you're buying new calipers and rotors.....I'd get hubs from a 620 or early 720. The wheel centering nubs in the center of the hub are a smaller diameter making wheel fitment much easier. The HB rotors will fit on either of those hubs and the late 720 and HB calipers are the same. Info is only useful if you're looking for donor parts to use as cores.

Small tip for mixing and matching front brake parts. Get the dust shields from the same donor as the bearing hubs. There is an early and late as far as i can tell, not sure what year it changed. Basically the later trucks have a larger seal that goes over the end of the bearing hub, this large seal will not fit into the center hole in the early dust shields.

Confusing--YES

But, you will definently know what i just said if you get the wrong parts.

Jason

Yep. They both have the same ID, but the HB seal is the big one. A partsamerica.com search should reveal the change. I'd like to say it was '85 with the model split, but I'm thinking it was during the 720 years when the center nubs changed too. Doesn't really matter if you simply get the corresponding backing plate.

Cool.... Planning and procurement are progress, just not my favorite progress.

I think I found a set of shock brackets for doing the front coilover conversion.

Opinions on this setup? It is $39 from the same place that has the drop spindles for $145.

139886191_tp.jpg

Cool.... Planning and procurement are progress, just not my favorite progress.

I think I found a set of shock brackets for doing the front coilover conversion.

Opinions on this setup? It is $39 from the same place that has the drop spindles for $145.

They have drop spindles for 521?

I've been looking into coilovers on my 620, it seems the biggest problem is when the truck is lowered the height of the shock is 9.25" making it one short ass coilover :D I talked to Mike and Steve (redeye)about the problems at hand, and it all goes back to how much time do you want to invest into any one part. I think the factory shock mount would be strong enough. Shit think of all the trucks we pull the bump stops out of and let the shocks take the beating, aka the shock towers. If a 510 sheet metal body can handle a coilover I don't see why a 620 one can't. That still leaves the problem of a short coilover... drop spindles would help... That requires a big rim though.. So some arms like Mikes would have to be built.

Steve have you ordered you coilovers? Which ones? It seems like QA1's makes some short ones but I don't know if they are enough... How low do you plan on going?

One step closer!!

Ordered the shock brackets I mentioned earlier in this thread. I also picked up a ZX brake master cylinder (p/n 46010-P6500) here on Ratsun!! Plan is to order the coilovers in a couple weeks...

I need to figure out tail lights. The bed has frenched in sections, but no lights to match.. Any ideas? I've looked at ebay and street rod shop web sites. Nothing has *really* caught my eye.. except the flush mount LED setups that you can do body work over..

Any ideas for tail lights? Body work is definitely not out of the question.

Your 3.7 rear gears might be easier to source from a 80's truck. I got mine from a 85 720. There was about 5 of them in the yard that day that all had 3.7's.

I read through all of the H190 LSD posts here and on nwde.. I *think* I know what to buy. If I get an '85 720 3.7 third member as Jason recommends above, will it work with the Precision PowerBrute LOM103-2? I'm not sure if the '85 will have the required 12mm ring gear bolts.

Jason? Brandon? Anyone care to chime in?

I'd be down to pay for a good 3.7 H190 third member (center chunk), if anyone wants to make a trip to the yard and make a couple bucks.

Any thoughts on tail lights?

MISC%20007.jpg