Who has the lowest 521???

Who's got it? no bags, no body drops, just some good ol dumpin! Pretty sure mines maxxed out in the front without doing major mods, but the rear I want lower. I have 4 1/2" blocks. stock leafs. dont want to pull the leafs apart cos I hate that bouncy shit. any idea or pictures out there? like I said, not looking to bag it. mine as it sits

IMG_20110429_153930.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah took a chance on the wheels, didnt know if the offset was gonna work. couldnt have fit better! $150 on CL all they needed was a good cleaning and polish. I'd like to know more about Z-ing the control arms just for the travel! has anyone had their leaf springs de-arched?? a local shop wanted about $200, seemed a bit steep especially for a datsun owner! lol

It's on "mklotz70 NL320" thread, page 13

DCP_8126.jpg

DCP_8147.jpg

I do not know how much drop there was, but with the Z dropped control arm, and loosening the control bars slightly, it sits nice and still has a decent ride.

DCP_8166.jpg

This is how it sits today.

DSCN0518.jpg

This is how it sat when Mike bought it.

smNL320_1m.jpg

Thanks Wayne!! Saved me a good bit of time there!!

I don't think the torsion bars are turned down at all. I turned them down to the bump stops the first year....but the tires would hit the lip inside the top of the fender well. Z'd the arms and jacked the bars back up for the next year. The pocket is because you can't find shocks short enough......at least affordable ones. I think they make drop shocks that will work, but building the pocket into the arm solved the problem anyway :)

Same effect, but with kingpins....MUCH safer :)

...plus, I could shorten the arm slightly while I was at it...1/4-3/8"....to help compensate for the extra angle on the upper control which pulled the top of the wheel in.

All 3 of these are static drops. Rode like shizz, but cool as hell. The lower cross members would take off the reflectors glued to the road. The ironic thing is the truck in the middle belonged to a guy who glued those things to the road for a living (road stripping); job security!

s01jq.jpg

All 3 of these are static drops. Rode like shizz, but cool as hell. The lower cross members would take off the reflectors glued to the road. The ironic thing is the truck in the middle belonged to a guy who glued those things to the road for a living (road stripping); job security!

s01jq.jpg

looks like hawaii.waimanalo

I have not de-arched 521 leafs but I have de-arched Mazda leafs. NEVER AGAIN! The ride is horrific!

If your looking for a leaf spring solution though, according to Datzenmike and Wayno, the leafs all the way up to the 720 are the same length. So in theory, which I'll prove, and as I believe Wayno has done, is to use Bell Tech's or the like from those models and retrofit the 521. The issue you'll have which should be an easy resolve is the bushings and hardware. The earlier the years, the closer it should to the front bushing size. The fronts may need to be modified. The rears are easy. Custom hangers and done!

I have Bell Techs on my Colorado and the ride is smooth for the amount of drop it has.

good to know... I'm tryin to do it on the low $ because I'm still kicking the idea around of puttin in the 510 IRS that I've got taking up space in my basement. I keep going back and fourth on it. the gear ratio would sure be nice, but the mis matched lug patterns wouldn't tho....