'72 Shakotan Z RB20DET

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmmmm lowered z

Haha, should be yummy!

I love the wide wheels with narrow tire stretched look. Sweet thread! Getting amped on fixing up my rust bucket!

Rust buckets are the worst. I'm in it to make this rolling pile of shit work, though!

DOOOOOOOODDDDEEEEEE......Effin awesome build I am doing something similar to this with a 510 sedan and an sr...But good job sir.

Thanks, brother!

A super cool and really entertaining build you have here! Keep it up!

Thanks for the kind words, man! :)

Finally got around to painting the perches.

SpindlesDrum.jpg

Passenger side shitty's are just about wrapped up meow, as I got the rail cut up, bent up, and tacked up this afternoon.

PassengerRail3.jpg

PassengerRail2.jpg

PassengerRail.jpg

Friend of mine was selling a battery that I happened to need. It fits perfect in the jack compartment behind either seat, which is awesome.

Battery.jpg

Sure, traction might not be awesome with an RB, lots of camber, and a 205/50 on a 15x10 - but it sure looks good. :)

Well that's debatable: what looks good. Functionality above form. Or form always follows function. To function properly the tires must be flat on the ground to reduce toe during suspension travel. Right now there is camber and toe in which can't help but affect handling in corners and that's not even addressing the tire wear. When the suspension is working properly (function) the looks, (form) will be even better.

Well that's debatable: what looks good. Functionality above form. Or form always follows function. To function properly the tires must be flat on the ground to reduce toe during suspension travel. Right now there is camber and toe in which can't help but affect handling in corners and that's not even addressing the tire wear. When the suspension is working properly (function) the looks, (form) will be even better.

But mike, what if its function is to look a certain way?

• Like 1

Tnx for the pics' showing your work and updates RustBucket. It has helped my wife see what is needed to bring hers to tip top form and function. She Also suggested I get a Mig welder and a few other toys! She GETS IT now. GOOD WORK GUY! I just finished my toy, a 51 Kaiser Manhattan Dragon, Next is my V-6 Camero powered 74 VW Safari bus, then I get to attack her 240. Love that car. In the corners I swear the wheels have Velcro on them!

To each his own, brother, and everything you stated is agreeable - I'm simply building an old car to a desired look. This build is more suited to the aesthetics than the actual performance of the car, which obviously isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's just the way I happened to interpret it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Updates have been lacking lately, but that's not to say things haven't been done.

I've totally finished reconstructing what was left of the chassis and all the rot has been cut out and taken care of. I had to make new rails from the tension rods back, as there was nothing left but a disgusting mess of what were once the frame rails.

DriversRail.jpg

PassengerRail2-1.jpg

DriversRail2.jpg

Rails.jpg

Also got the floors finished and given a coat of POR15 to be concealed beneath the carpet and all that at some point.

FloorsPOR15.jpg

FloorsPOR152.jpg

Felt ambitious this evening and decided to tackle my rear suspension to see how a wheel would actually fit.

SuspensionAssembly2.jpg

SuspensionAssembly.jpg

RearSuspension2.jpg

RearSuspension1.jpg

RearSuspension3.jpg

This is a wheel borrowed from a friend in order for me to figure out widths and offset for when I order my wheels.

WheelOn3.jpg

And, the wheel I intend to purchase will sit about an inch out from the 15x10 +0 that I mocked up.

WatanabeLip.jpg

That's pretty much how I left it this evening. With all the shitty stuff done, it's time to seam seal, finish shaving the bay, run fuel lines, and brakes.

WheelOn1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

what exactly did you do to fit the rear coilovers?

I had perches machined to accept the thread pitch of the coilovers, and welded the perches to the spindle itself. Then I welded in S13 top plates to my strut towers, which were also machined from plate steel. A guy over in the Hybrid Z forum was doing all of the machining and selling them as kits.

It's the same process for the front coilovers, except you gain the use of camber plates.

So, I got a big ol' pile of parts from Black Dragon the other day - wasted no time in getting everything together!

BigParts.jpg

Wheel bearings, clutch master, brake master, tie rods, ball joints, and other miscellaneous things. Got the wheel bearings, and ball joints banged out in a night, and all back together. Wanted to get it done so that I could mock up a wheel in the front, but the car doesn't weigh enough for me to jack up the front suspension without a motor in it! <_<

WheelBearingsRotor.jpg

LowerBallJoints.jpg

Got the steering rack all butters another night.

SteeringRack.jpg

Ordered the intake manifold the other day, so that should arrive the first week of November. Yanked the old gross manifold off the RB20 in anticipation of my purchase!

IntakeManifold.jpg

ManifoldOff.jpg

Started with this...

FrontClip-1.jpg

To this...

BayStripped3.jpg

To this...

BayStripped2.jpg

And, finally to this...

BayStripped1.jpg

Thanks to all this...

ScotchBrite.jpg

Going to buff all that steel out and shoot it with clear. I love how much it looks like the aluminum on an plane. Might get creative and make it look like some things are riveted in there.

I was having a tough time finding a small enough intercooler to fit between the two vent holes that are in the factory rad support. Happened to stumble on a company that makes a dinky little core good for 250+ HP projects. Essentially the perfect core for this application. The core is 2.5'' deep, 24'' end to end, and 6'' tall. This will make for some awesome throttle response with the serious lack of intercooler piping that the forward facing manifold will provide.

Intercooler.jpg

As for a rad, I've decided to give the Mishimoto Honda half-rads a try. It's a nice compact package, and should be sufficient to keep the RB cool with their e-fan and fancy metal shroud. Not only that but it keeps everything nice and tidy in the engine bay.

MishimotoRad.jpg

MishimotoShroud.jpg

Through a friend at work I've got a source for parts and wheels in Japan. Just this past week I sent him an email look for some wheels in a very specific size. Wouldn't ya know it - he pulled through. Next week I'll be making a payment for a lovely set of genuine Watanabes in some very manly sizes. 15x10 -25 in the back, and 15x9.5 -29 in the front. CAN NOT WAIT! :D

Watanabes.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had my motor mounts powdercoated yesterday.

004-1.jpg

And, then turned all this...

006.jpg

In to this.

002-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

Obviously it came with the shittiest fittings known to man, but they'll be replaced by some nicer ones from work.

010-1.jpg

Also, yanked my turbo manifold off the other day so I could replace a couple broken studs and clean up the block.

005.jpg

A shot of the new water pipe.

007-2.jpg

Also relocated the dipstick to the back of the block as I've got a rear-sump pan, as opposed to the old front-sump.

008-1.jpg

Hidden nicely beside my fuel rail.

009-1.jpg

Expect to see some more good shit happening soon. I've got some serious motivation kicking!

hey buddy - I'm JP's friend Aaron with the 240z. Build thread is fairly sick - coming along nicely.

Facebook me some night when your heading out to the shop n I'll come out and measure up that tranny shifter to mill the spacer, or help put RB in or pretty well anything haha.

hey buddy - I'm JP's friend Aaron with the 240z. Build thread is fairly sick - coming along nicely.

Facebook me some night when your heading out to the shop n I'll come out and measure up that tranny shifter to mill the spacer, or help put RB in or pretty well anything haha.

Fuck yeah, thanks dude!

• 2 weeks later...

Fought with some exhaust studs this evening.

Stud1.jpg

Stud2.jpg

Only succeeded in getting one out. The other is in there for good because I don't feel like wasting another night on it.

Stud3.jpg

Stud4.jpg

Everything is back together in the rear end. Need to save some money over the next month and order an almost final round of parts.

Subframe.jpg