'72 Shakotan Z RB20DET

I've been slacking on keeping updates, but have been enjoying the summer to the fullest.

Worked slowed on the Datsun briefly, but it's going to be in full swing with in the month as I've just begun a new job which allows me access to just about any tool or piece of machinery I could ever want in a shop, and plenty more money than before. That being said, I have banged out a few little things in the past month, only real photo I have to show is one of my finished front suspension. This set-up will me to lay frame on 15's before I run out of thread. Pretty nuts...

FrontKnuckles.jpg

The engine bay only needs a couple more holes welded and shaved, camber plates, and a few nuts welded in to the rails and she'll be good to go for some paint. So, expect to see that sometime soon hopefully! I'll leave you with a photo of my daily, and my friends street-oriented S13.

S102403.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a second since I've posted an update, but progress has been really steady this past week. I don't have pictures of everything, but I'll put forth what ever I've got.

Had a friend of a friend TIG up my diff for smokey burnouts.

Differential2.jpg

Cut and fit my strut tops...

CamberPlate2.jpg

Then tacked them in front and back. They're completely welded now, but I didn't have a camera when I was at the shop last.

CamberPlate.jpg

RearTower.jpg

Cut out a bunch of my front passenger rail, and welded in new nuts for the sway bar.

SwayBarNuts.jpg

All painted inside and closed up...

PassngerRail.jpg

Everything is dropped out of the rear of the car, and it all got cleaned up and hit with a fresh coat of POR 15. I've got to get bottles for my torch and then I'll get the spindle pin out and finish welding the rear perches and replace all the factory bushings with poly ones.

ControlArms.jpg

More pictures and progress on Sunday, hopefully!

Spent some time at the shop over the past couple days!

Decided to polish out the aluminum diff cover, but I've still got to hit it with some clear coat.

DiffCover1.jpg

Looks pretty cool against the rusty diff.

DiffCover.jpg

Got both the camber plates welded in completely.

StrutTopWeld1.jpg

StrutTopWeld.jpg

Then got 'em both smoothed out and ready for me to Slap-a-tha-Bondouche when I finishing shaving the engine bay.

StrutTopGround.jpg

They're also back-welded for maximum not breakingness.

BackWelds.jpg

Finally bought a real motor stand to get my piece off the floor.

Motor.jpg

Promptly fucked the spindle pin puller by having the reducer on the wrong end and giving 'er hell. Really bummed about that.

Spindle-PinPuller.jpg

Torched out the bushings in the mustache bar, and pressed in the new poly bushings and sleeves.

MoustacheBar.jpg

Same went for the rear control arms. The metal sleeves were a total cunt to get off, but a friend of mine suggested getting them red hot and quenching them really quickly and it broke the bond and they slid right off super easy. So, that was a bonus.

ControlArmBushing.jpg

That's where I left off this evening, but I plan on hauling ass on it some more in the next couple days. I've got to order another spindle-pin puller, and then I'll be able to finish ripping my rear suspension apart and have it all painted and reassembled with all new poly bushings.

Guest kamakazi620

Got a couple things done over the passed few weeks, but had some issues with the local law enforcement concerning my daily. So, once that was all over with I got a little bit of work done on the Datsun this weekend. I cut the front fenders and rear quarters out and fit my fender flares for good. Also got a good chunk of my drivers side floor patched up real proper, so overall it was a pretty productive couple days.

018.jpg

014.jpg

Here's a couple photos not Datsun related, but of our daily pigs since we had 'em all out today. Neil's 350hp 1.8T...

039-1.jpg

008.jpg

Drew's Holset-powered E30 sedan. The turbo's good for a gajillion hp, but the bottom end's only good 'til about 600...

023-1.jpg

033-1.jpg

And, lastly my daily shit bucket of a Chevy...

GasStationLowerRes.jpg

GasStation2LowerRes.jpg

I promise to have some real progress on the Datsun very shortly, just have to slug through the monotonous shit work.

Blah Real men drive 620's

So, the front struts... how and what did you make them from and all the extra tid bits of info on them. Your project is coming along quite nicely!

Thanks!

I had all the perches for the struts, the camber plates, and the rear top plates machined by a fellow over on the HybridZ forums. They're all machined from steel, however I'm not sure what grade. It took a lot of heat to maintain penetration welding those lower perches, though, which is always a good sign.

Essentially you're removing the old strut, leaving about a 1 1/4'' stub to slide the new perch over, and weld it in. The other end of that perch is threaded to accept Megan coilovers for an S13. The top plates were made accordingly and simply needed to be cut and fit in to place. It means I only have camber adjustment in the front, which is rather unfortunate, but I'll have to live with that.

Blah Real men drive 620's

I'm not sure I could handle more than one Datsun in my life at this juncture, hah!

Finally got all the metal sleeves off from where the bushings used to sit on the rear control arms.

007-1.jpg

Also got the front control arm bushings torched out, and pressed out the metal sleeves with ease after getting the thing glowing hot.

001-1.jpg

And, the second...

003-1.jpg

This was the finished product with the new poly bushings. I have no doubts that all this work getting bushings out and in will be worth it once the car's on the road and not shaking like a bag of bones from rotten bushings and joints.

004.jpg

Progress was cut short there on the Datsun as I helped a friend put some RUCA's in his Silvia and pump the fenders a little.

023-2.jpg

021.jpg

It's almost depressing working on cars that clean. Makes me wish the Datsun was taken a little better care of by the previous owners.

• 2 weeks later...

awesome thread. definatly be following this.

Thanks, brother.

Finally caved and put an order in for my own welding suite. Up until now I've been having a friend do any of the work that I didn't feel comfortable doing, but it's gotten to the point that I just want to be able to haul ass at my own pace and get shit done. It should be here next week, and then progress should be bountiful.

No build thread on the shop as it's been there long before our time.

It used to be an old welding shop, but after they left a friend who lived close happened to find the place up for lease and figured it would make an awesome shop. With the addition of a lift it was pretty much took shape. It's heated for the winter, and it's cover over our heads so we can't really ask for much more. You can comfortable work and do complete builds on about 6 or 7 cars at a time, so it's a pretty large space.

TheShop.jpg

Got my fuel tank back from it's caustic bath and coating this afternoon. I seriously couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Thing's clean enough to eat off now, and it was absolutely disgusting when I had it dropped off.

FuelTankOutside.jpg

And, the inside...

FuelTankInside2.jpg

FuelTankInside.jpg

Excited to put together a fuel system now.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been half lazy, and had to fix some stupid things on my truck. But, I swear I've been pouring the cocks to the Datsun when I feel the motivation coming on.

A few weeks ago I drove to Colorado with my father and sister, all 1600 miles or so. There's lot of this in the midwest...

Nebraska.jpg

The rear floors are all done, sealed, and POR15'd.

RearFloor.jpg

Which means that all this is nearly ready to go back on with all their fancy poly bushings pressed in.

Suspension-1.jpg

Tacked the rear quarters back together with the inner fender for the flares.

RearQuarters.jpg

Patched up some shitty on the front rail.

DriverRail.jpg

Rear strut mounts ready for mating.

RearStruts.jpg

Bay just needs some more metal love, and then I'll Slap-a-tha-Bondouche.

PrimerBay.jpg

And, I had to do something fun obviously. So, I bought myself a pair of Takata 4-points to make me happy.

Takata.jpg

Buying nuts and bolts on Monday to weld in a couple spots so that I can re-assemble and have a rolling chassis again! :)

Got hardware for my sway bar, and my rear control arm mounts this afternoon. Got the nuts welded inside my rail for the sway bar, and made up a new top section to finish the front clip. Couldn't be happier to have my front end mostly sound once again.

Welding shit up.

FrontRailWelding.jpg

Finished rail after a brief encounter with a flap disc. It'll all be smoothed out and cheesed to perfection when it comes time to prep the bay for paint.

FrontRail.jpg

Suspension re-assembly by the end of this week. Fingers crossed.