'72 Shakotan Z RB20DET

So, $300 later, and I owned 5 couplers and 2 U/J bends in 16g stainless.

ColdSide.jpg

Couplers.jpg

Liam dropped this off the other night, so that I could cut the yolk off it.

Driveshaft.jpg

Tacked up my hot pipe this evening, and got around to running about two beads before I ran out of wire. Huge pain.

HotPipe2.jpg

HotPipe1.jpg

I'll finish it off tomorrow, and also begin and complete the cold pipe.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious about the radiator. RB's tend to run hot, so aren't you concerned about overheating with that tiny radiator?

Haha, a few people have asked me that. If a boosted B16 can have the shit kicked out of it all day at the track with this rad, I have no doubt that it'll be more than enough for my street car. A lot of the stock cooling issues come down to the shitty factory rad. The thicker (but smaller) rad, shroud, and e-fan should be a good upgrade for it.

Haha, a few people have asked me that. If a boosted B16 can have the shit kicked out of it all day at the track with this rad, I have no doubt that it'll be more than enough for my street car. A lot of the stock cooling issues come down to the shitty factory rad. The thicker (but smaller) rad, shroud, and e-fan should be a good upgrade for it.

Hm ok. I'll be interested in how it works out. I'm only curious cause every RB I've seen, mostly in S13/14's, has had cooling issues even with a full size dual core radiator. But with the ac core out of the way, and if enough airflow is directed toward the radiator, it might work out.

A friend of mine has had an RB in his S13 for a little over three years, and had cooling issues until he ran vinegar or something through the cooling passages. Said a lot of gunk came loose and came out, and since then, he hasn't had any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

but were talking almost another liter of displacement here 2 more cylinders and making more power then any honda could the way i see it you have the space stuff the biggest radiator you can in the damn thing better safe then sorry but then again i like overkill almost everything i made for the datto was way stronger then it had to be either way i know i wouldn't feel comfortable with that dinky thing in there

edit: also take into account that hondas have always been more efficiant and needed smaller radiators the most other cars with the same displacement a "boosted b16" isnt going to make as much heat as say a ca18 let alone an rb25

but were talking almost another liter of displacement here 2 more cylinders and making more power then any honda could the way i see it you have the space stuff the biggest radiator you can in the damn thing better safe then sorry but then again i like overkill almost everything i made for the datto was way stronger then it had to be either way i know i wouldn't feel comfortable with that dinky thing in there

edit: also take into account that hondas have always been more efficiant and needed smaller radiators the most other cars with the same displacement a "boosted b16" isnt going to make as much heat as say a ca18 let alone an rb25

This is only an RB20, brother!

I can see where you guys are coming from, but I have full confidence that this rad will be well suited to this build as a mild street car. It's got a great shroud, with a good fan, and an incredibly well vented engine bay. This rad was also available at the time, relatively inexpensive, and sized accordingly - finding a dual core rad that had the correct inlet/ outlet, could fit between the frame rails, and shallow enough not to hang lower than the lower rad support was next to impossible without have to notch my rails and wedge it in. I was looking for a more 'bolt-on' solution.

Have faith! <3