NAPS Z In my 521

Brian D

I stumbled across a Naps Z out of a 200sx for pretty cheap. It has 95000 miles on it. I am wondering what my pros and cons are for dropping this in my 521. Fab is no problems since I am doing airbags and a body drop at the same time. My other question is what 5spd it going to be best to bolt onto this engine? I want to keep similar shifter placement. Sorry about the simple questions, the newer than J series datsun engine stuff is all new to me, please be patient.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stumbled across a Naps Z out of a 200sx for pretty cheap. It has 95000 miles on it. I am wondering what my pros and cons are for dropping this in my 521. Fab is no problems since I am doing airbags and a body drop at the same time. My other question is what 5spd it going to be best to bolt onto this engine? I want to keep similar shifter placement. Sorry about the simple questions, the newer than J series datsun engine stuff is all new to me, please be patient.

Z20E or the larger Z22E? Keep the EFI and it will run forever. You will need the high pressure fuel pump and a return line. The ECU is on it's own harness so easy to remove and only 3-4 wires to connect. Very cool project.

Tranny

If you can find a short '83 and up 2wd 720 5 speed it will closely match the length of the 4 speed that's in there now.

Drive shaft

You can use the one in there but the spline is bolted into the back of the 521 4 speed. You will need a 40mm frost plug to seal the hole normally covered by the nut. Easy fix.

I am not trying to run a 12 sec quarter mile by anymeans, I just want something with a little more pep. I would just do a L16 or L20b but I can't find a good runner for anywhere near the price. The one that came in my 521 is toast, and I am missing so many parts

I agree, I like the NAPS also. Nissan did some interesting things with them. Too bad they are performance challenged. Cross flow, hemi head, dual plugs all great innovations that Nissan selected for use on them but only for pollution reduction. Too bad they didn't leave room for high RPM mods like the L series.

I agree, I like the NAPS also. Nissan did some interesting things with them. Too bad they are performance challenged. Cross flow, hemi head, dual plugs all great innovations that Nissan selected for use on them but only for pollution reduction. Too bad they didn't leave room for high RPM mods like the L series.

NAPS, is n't that Nissan Anti Performance System??

Z

• 2 weeks later...

Stock vs stock the Naps-Z engine is actually more powerful than any stock L series engine. I love L motors, and I love Z engines just for their simplicity, for a stock build with say, a weber DGV, its hard to beat. Mine had EFI and i held my own against many cars. Make sure you have a matching tranny for it, and youll have to get creative with mounts, as the engine tilts the OPPOSITE direction of an L motor.

• 1 year later...

anyone know what the decision was on this or have done the napz in a 520? i have a line on a complete set up from an 82 200sx, pretty sure it's a z22, efi, 5 speed, all complete still in the car. my cousin has a 521 and is weighing 2 options.

- 1 - find another L series.......

- 2- get this set up and do the swap.

he is basically mechanically inclined and can pull and install an engine, but concerned with modifications as far as mounts and clearances. he just wants to get it back on the road, not looking for performance or comparing Lseries vs Zseries, just ease (or difficulty) of installation.  or even better, anyone outside boulder that knows about this swap. thanks.

Start with the Z22 engine brackets. (the things that bolt to the sides of the block and to the rubber isolator mounts) You also have the rubber mounts from the 521 and the 200sx so you should be able to come up with something. This will ROCK!!!!

Keep the EFI.... remove the inline high pressure fuel pump. The EFI wiring is similar to the S13 and on it's own harness that runs from the fuse box by the driver's knee through the firewall and out to the motor on the left side. Don't miss the injector dropping resistors under the MAF. Get the rad... get everything.

Oh and save the rear end. Some B-210 guy will want the fly H-190 with rear disc brakes.