Doctoraudio's 1969 Snow White Goon

I have had many, many Datsuns in my life.
It started when I was 13, living in Wahiawa, Hawaii.

The person next door to us gave me one to learn how to drive. It was a 1970 510 sedan. They would take me to the pineapple field and let me drive it around. With in two days I was power sliding it around the corners and shifting pretty good.

That is when I fell in love with racing my cars.

I was the only kid who drove to school in 8th grade. Which made me real popular with the girls in the school.

I have been so called looking for a nice Datsun to do my way.
I live in Portland, Oregon. I have seen a couple driving around and just remember how much fun was to drive around in one!
I choose a 510 wagon, Because I have two needs to fill with any vehicle I get.
Purpose one is the family. I have 5 kids and 3 are still at home. Second is I fly Radio controlled airplanes and helicopters, need something to carry my stuff around.

So, I looked and looked and almost bought a couple different ones, But everyone one wanted, was to much money for something that would take 2-3 grand to get on the road and look presentable.

I log onto here the first time and saw Dave's name and read some of his post after realizing he lived near me.
I contacted him and asked him for some help. We looked and looked. All we kept finding was someone asking 500 for something maybe worth 75 dollars.
We did find a couple cars worth 500 but those guys wanted like 2500 for that. hahaha!
Wasn't even close to being road ready.
Just when I thought I was going to have to fly out of state and bring one home. I got a call from Dave. Dave said someone he does a lot of dealing with has one that is up for sale for a good price.

Me and the wife went and looked at it. It had a couple small spots of rust but nothing major. Had couple dents but nothing I couldn't fix up.
So a couple days later I went and picked it up.
This is what I brought home!

daytwoofthedatsun510cle.jpg

It was manufactured in 9/69, but the title says 1970 510 wagon.
Most of the stuff on it has 69 numbers.
L18 block and a A87 head. that was rebuilt not to long ago. 4 speed tranny. Weber 32/36 electric choke carb.
Came with two short 225 lb coils springs on the seat.
It looks like someone cut the originals.

Front door handle is broken! The driver's door panel is damage bad. Missing the rear hatch panel and headliner is gone.
The glove box door and radio bezel is gone too.

I drove it home and it ran pretty good. Did not have one problem getting it home.
Immediately I went to work on her.
First thing was to clean her up as much as possible. So, I could see what I had to work with!

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, here is some pictures of what it looked like before I started cleaning it up!

1969datsun510wagon1001.jpg

Engine compartment is just nasty looking.

This next picture is what was under the seats.

So I cleaned the engine compartment and the inside like , the some dawn. Then I used engine degreaser and high pressure steam.

Looks way better.

The next thing I did was started sanding looking for bondo peeling. I found some ugly work done on the fenders and driver door.

1969datsun510wagon1011.jpg

When I bought the car I got a spare rear hatch with a lot less damage then the one on the car had.

I replace that while on a break from sanding.

So as far as I can see. The driver's and passenger front fenders needs work.

1969datsun510wagon1010.jpg

The drivers door, has to be redone. The driver's passenger door has some dings in it.

The hatch has a couple small dings on it, I may be able to pop those out. We will see.

So I did body work on it for two days.

And already she is looking much better.

I ran out of heavy sand paper which I have to pick some up today!

Because the ride was so bad I decided, to go ahead and replace the front coil springs.

This is a picture of what the driver's side one looked like!

Hahahaha!

coilspringreplacment002.jpg

I took a day or two off from being in the rain and working on her.

To keep myself for getting sick.

But this is what she looked like two days ago.

datsunafterreplacingthe.jpg

I did some calling and found some rims, I want some that wasn't going to give it that come and steal me look.

But still looked good on her.

So I went with these.

15rims002.jpg

Not bad for 60 bucks and a friend hooked me up with some 195/ 60/15 Goodyears for 80 bucks.

Now I just have to remove that 2 " lowering block in the back.

Well, I noticed I had a problem with the back brake system today.

So I removed the rear wheels and open it up.

What I found was, about 50% use on the driver's side and 10% use on the passenger side.

The passenger side wheel cylinder was locked up. That will be replaced no later than Monday.

I also worked on the driver side door, and they are looking very smooth. Tomorrow I have to clean up the lines, because I got some clumps on the bottom of the door lines.

Fender:

bodyworkondiversidedoor.jpg

Door:

bodyworkondiversidedoor.jpg

Going to Pick and pull, to see what is available for my 510.

Also should have a welder here late tomorrow.

I am going to fix my exhaust leak! Which should quite Snow White some!

later guys and thinks for reading.

looking good for only a couple of days of work.

Dennis: Thank you very much.

Skib: I may need a hand soon. I would prefer to do it all by myself. But, I have learned that not all things can be done by one man!

Pm me with your number and we can meet up. Thank you for the offer I may need you soon!

I have had her since March 08, 2011 , She is coming along nicely.

The wife says she is not ready for her to ride in.

We have our 21st wedding anniversary coming up.

It will be the same type of car we had when I proposed to her. Should be a fun weekend trip! Heheheheh!

So I am working hard, on getting her ready for the ride to Mount baker.

Thanks guys for reading and have fun. I am!

Today: I went to Boring Pick and pull. What I saw there was two cars one a 510 and the other a 610.

Nothing much that I can use. I did find dome drain holes plugs for the floors. Which I did install quickly into the car.

It reduced the noise in the car by maybe 5-10 % which is a good thing.

I also got a 610 fuel sending unit. I put it in the car and now my gas gauge reads good! I did have to rotate the floater 180 degrees.

Also had to bend it a little to adjust it, for it being shorter than the original one.

It now reads 3/4 tank where it should.

I am sure when it says it is empty I will have at least a half gallon left!

Crap, I bet this car will never see anything under a half tank. I don't go a lot of places. But I do think I will be having fun driving days again. Like running around the back roads of Oregon for two hours of the day!

10 years ago me and a bunch of friends would start off in Eugene, Oregon and run to the coast and back.

We would have one guy run 10 mins ahead of use and spot for the police!

I could see that happening again. Hehehehe!

I am also getting more confident of the cars ability to take corners. The front coil springs are doing a very good job!

Very impressed, with them. The front end is a little stiff but I like it.

Now I have to get the back end the way I want it!

Which means I am going to either remove the 2 inch lowering blocks or I going to have them cut in half.

Or figure out some trick on how to go stiffer in the back and raise the rear end about an inch!

If anyone has any ideas. I don't want to weld anything to the car

I am leaving now to get some peel and seal and see how much it makes a difference. to the road noise.

http://www.lowes.com:80/pd_154017-81326-PS625_0__?storeId=10151&Ntt=peel+%26+seal&UserSearch=peel+%26+seal&productId=1018733&N=0&catalogId=10051&langId=-1I will do the front seats first maybe.

It may be better to do the back first!

Well I bought this instead and it works awesome to!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_286475-81326-TS633_0__?productId=3055547&Ntt=windows+flashing&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dwindows%2Bflashing

It is cheaper and more flexible.

The other stuff was 16 bucks for 6" X 25"

This stuff is 6" X 33" plus it is 11.96 a roll.

Lowes rocks!

After going swiming with the kids today and spending some time with the wife.

I thought I would hurry up and get what I could get done with the Sound proofing.

Here are the pictures.

Trunk area:

soundproofing001.jpg

Driver:

soundproofing002.jpg

Passenger:

soundproofing003.jpg

Roof:

soundproofing006.jpg

It all went in well and I will finish it tomorrow. I am going to Seattle with a friend to get dump truck. Got to put it on the trailer, and bring it home.

I will try and get that finished after I get back!

Looks good boss. U should bring that wagon to the Saturday Beaverton meets. When the weather gets better, there are also a few of us that cruise at the Hillsboro Sonic's on Fridays. Always good to meet more hawaii peoples. How long u been on the mainland?

Shootz!

-Brian

What up cuz?

I been up here since 91.

Lived in Sea-town for 2 years.

Den, moved here haven't gone home since.

Keep talking about it, but never make it. My baby brada is still at home. He comes here twice a year to visit.

Oh well bra I send you PM!

Yesterday , was help a friend out day .

Today , I have several things to on my list!

One put the aftermarket side view mirrors on.

Changed out the right rear wheel cylinder.

Put sound proofing under he hood.

replace the heater core hose it is leaking, It may just be loose. We will see and then hook up the power to the fan! Easy stuff!

And fix that dam exhaust leak!

Then that last thing will be to get them blocks out tonight and have them milled down so I can put them back in tomorrow!

Also looking for a replacement diver side door handle, mine is broke! Once I replace that I can make a new door panel.

Still looking for a good alarm system for my car there is so many out there.

After I get that In I am going to put a stereo in it.

Thinking about putting some 10's in the hatch door. Some 6's in the front and back doors. some 4.5 in the kick panels

Well, lets see what we can get done today.

Well guys I put on the new mirrors.

I made some brackets to go inside the doors for the mirrors.

They are to widen the base so they don't flex the door. They work great.

I replace the wheel cylinder, rear breaks are working great now.

I didn't finish the sound proofing.

Fixed the heater core hose that was leaking.

I also removed the resonator in the exhaust. I put a straight piece of pipe in there. Amazing it gave it a richer sound. Perfect.

What is left is to finish the sound proofing.

I picked up a new Alarm for the car, will more than likely have it install in a day or two.

People that live next to me have gotten their cars broken into in the last two weeks.

Plus I had 4 brand new tires stolen off my door step. $400. They were on my door step for like 5 hours.

Dam it!

So I am going to protect my Datsun now, before I start building a stereo system for it! Until tomorrow guys!

this is a clean goon man, i love it, take care of it man

Thank you!

I can say this I have met some very cool people since getting this Goon!

When I go to the auto parts store.

I come out and guys are looking at it!

It was kind of very yesterday.

There was a guy with one of my favorite cars.

I think it was a 1968 Nova box. with a 396 or something in it! It looked awesome. He was trying to get it tuned right. He just rebuilt the motor.

He buddy that was helping him, was standing around my car looking it over. He was asking what was the silver stuff I had on the floor!

I told him what it was.

The owner of the nova came over and was talking about HP. I told him I had maybe 100.

He laughed and said he was at like 520 something. Then he said he gets about 6 miles to the gallon.

I told him I was getting close to 30 something.

His jaw almost hit the ground.

He said, well I bet I can out run you! anywhere.

I told him, yep you can! and while your filling up every hundred miles I will have a 10 mile jump on you each time you fill-up.

He buddy chimed in and said, okay he got you there James!

As I got into mine and told him I really liked his car. And it was going to be totally awesome, when he was done with it.

I chuckled hard and drove off!