how to unload a dead L20B

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF batman?! :( Usable parts are usable parts. The only reason that should be done to a 20B is if it has a hole through the block, and the head is cracked, and the valve cover is cracked too. They aren't making any more of these motors you know. Shit, I still haven't thrown away the definitely seized and unusable L16 block that came out of the 2 door I cut up. It sat minus the head for 20 years. Now it sits in the corner of my garage. The original L16 510 motor sits next to it. The only crap block I have is the KA24, and it's being used as a paperweight on the floor in the corner.

I pulled the long 6mm bolt out of the original L16 motor just yesterday, for use on the Z24.

Don't destroy Datsun motors that way man, come on!

• Like 1

That's not the point. This comes down to the simple debate of users vs. creators. Destroyers vs. builders. Back in the old days, they used to save the nails out of a structure during demolition because nails were so hard to come by. This is a values issue. It's a usable part that doesn't deserve such treatment. Destroying something for a purpose, like cutting up a dead 510 is one thing. The one I cut up I removed and saved all usable parts. This is the equivalent of chucking the whole thing in the crusher and then laughing as it's smooshed.

NOT COOL. During the kick from the tailgate to the ground, the block could have sustained cracks, broken off a rear mounting point, fucked up the oil filter housing, etc. It's not the way to dispatch of even a dead L motor.

• Like 1

You guys need to stop bitching. If there is indeed good parts on it then go get it! Cant even walk around here without tripping over l motors...

Haven't heard any bitching yet... Sounds more like some Datsun enthusiast's wishing they would have had the chance to pick up the engine before it was KICKED out the back of a truck ;) Lord knows I'm broke, Broken and free is still free!

• Like 1

Haven't heard any bitching yet... Sounds more like some Datsun enthusiast's wishing they would have had the chance to pick up the engine before it was KICKED out the back of a truck ;) Lord knows I'm broke, Broken and free is still free!

X2

• Like 1

Seems slightly disrespectful. I've kicked a few Datsun parts to the curb but never videoed it. Almost without fail find out later could have used something off of it. Chucked a 5 speed years ago that lost 5th and then 2nd. Wish I had it now for parts and to figure out what was wrong. Even the empty case can be used to swap onto a Z or 'C' type to convert them.

• Like 1

X2 it becomes a different ordeal seeing a decent shortblock (seeing as the head was f**ked) chucked.... i mean seriously ive gone out to junkyards about 4 hours away to find a l20b... with no luck.... so yah ;) Cali ratsunners taking things for granted

^^^ Not the way I see it. The person in the video isn't a Ratsun'er, which is the one abusing an l20b. The Ratsun'ers are not taking the l20b for granted at all. We are the ones bemoaning the way in which this person disposes of their leftovers....

*EDIT* Dammit Mike! You would have to go and post while I'm in the middle of my post.... :P