What's it worth?

Hi guys! I'm new to the Ratsun Forum. I have been reading it for a while though (classifieds). For the past year i have been searching for a good 510 within reasonable distance to me with no luck. All of you west coast guys are hoarding them. Anyway i found a 510 thats close to me that i looked at last summer. I only have one picture of the car. I can tell you that it does run. It has rust in the rock panels, lower part of door skin, and fenders. He has a clean title to the car. I'm just curious if it's salvageable and what it might be worth.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjMtMjAxMDA5MDQtMTUyOC5qcGc.jpg

I have also been looking at a 411 sss car that seems to be in good shape. I like the 510 body better, but the 411 seems to be more rare. I really cant find a value on a 411 sss car either. Any help will be much appreciated.

utf-8BMDEzMDExMTQwNS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BMDEyMjExMTczNmEuanBn.jpg

utf-8BMDEyMjExMTczNi5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BMDEyMjExMTczNWEuanBn.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

last summer we put a hot battery on it and some fresh gas in it and it cranked right up. If it's not raining next weekend i'm going to look at it again and try to get some more pics for a better evaluation.

That 510 looks really clean, but the lone pic doesn't show ANY of the hidden places rust inhabits. Some rust is expected, but I've seen cars that looked perfect on the outside that had almost nothing holding them together. But if the floors are intact, the trunk intact, and the inner fenders intact that'd be a heck of a SE survivor, and worth well over $1000. I mean, it's no $3000 car (anything over 2500 I'd expect zero rust but that's me) but it's a running 2-door.

If the 411 runs, probably about the same value. The problem with the 411 is parts are MUCH, much harder to find.

Both cars have been sitting for a couple of years. I havent seen the 411 actually but the owner assures me that it runs. Both owners will not take anything less than 1k for either of them. I hope the info jeeps rolling in and i will definately make plans to go and get more pictures of the 510.

That 510 looks really clean, but the lone pic doesn't show ANY of the hidden places rust inhabits. Some rust is expected, but I've seen cars that looked perfect on the outside that had almost nothing holding them together. But if the floors are intact, the trunk intact, and the inner fenders intact that'd be a heck of a SE survivor, and worth well over $1000. I mean, it's no $3000 car (anything over 2500 I'd expect zero rust but that's me) but it's a running 2-door.

If the 411 runs, probably about the same value. The problem with the 411 is parts are MUCH, much harder to find.

If i could find a 510 with zero rust for 2500 within about 500 miles i would be all over it lol

Get the 510, more parts readily available (ball joints etc). Thats a good deal if you can get it for around a grand. I paid a grand for mine, then dumped in another 700 and its still not quite drivable yet :D

I have definately taken the parts into consideration. I'm just worried about what is normal rust and what is way to gone rust. I'm not a body man at all, of course never really tried it. My mechanical and electrical capablities are pretty good though.

Seems like a great car for 1k. 2-doors seem to go for more than 4 doors. I would jump on that thing like right now. Especially in your neck of the woods where they are pretty rare.

I paid a bit over 2K for my 4-door. But it is 100% a daily driver with an upgraded lz22 engine, brakes, exhaust etc. Just cosmetically challenged! The rear quarter pannels are rusted and badly fiberglassed, but I can get replacement panels for a lot of 510 stuff. Fiberglass fenders hood trunk valence on and on.

I am guessing if you get it for 1K you will be 2K into it pretty quick after you go through the brakes, exhaust, toss the stock carb (most do), engine, fueltank, and everything else, if it has been sitting.

The 411 rocks, but is rare and harder to find parts for. And if you have any plans for a engine upgrade, it is a tough squeeze under that hood for sure.

i personally get the 411 im sure ill be shot for this but im just not a big fan of the 510 there nice and all but datsun put out alot of other models i would rather own before a 510

That is funny, because the 510 (and maybe the 521, and the roadster) are the only datsuns I like. To each their own.

Really depends on what you want from the car. To me a 510 is a fun sporty car. The 411 is more of a collector's item.

Well, some rust is to be expected. Kinda depends on what kind of vehicle inspections you have. In Massachusetts they'll fail you for one tiny hole. Some States, you can drive until the doors fall off and the frame breaks in half.

But basically, if you take a bath every time you drive through a puddle, the body panels are held on with 4" sheetrock screws to stop them from flapping, and you cannot open both doors simultaneously for fear that the car will fold in half, then it's probably too far gone. Neither of those cars look anything close to that, but the floors need to be looked at.

If you have more time than money and already have a mig and a tig, this puppy should be in your driveway!

I just matters what you are after. I spent a grand more (assuming it is 1K) and bought one that has a pretty rock solid upgraded driveline, exhaust, front brakes and struts, etc. But mine has rusty QPs which are covered in sloppy fiberglass so not exactly tetnus shot material. But under the glass I suspect it is pretty bad.

But it was more important to me to have a runner daily driver than one that was cosmetically beautiful. Because I have two others Datsuns that have better bodies (truck and a 1959) but both need engine work, so they sit. And I just wanted one to have some fun on the road with a Datsun!

Point out all of the bad things to the owner, and make a big deal out of little things like rust. Mention how much its going to cost you to fix it, and offer him $800. I got my Z for $450 this way, guy was asking $1000, all it needs is a few hundred in body repairs and its ready.

You have some major inner fender rot there, but provided it hasn't gone too far, it looks to be fixable. Just plan on spending some time with a welder/bodyman.

Totally fixable. I'd buy it, as long as the price is right. Paying to have rust repair fixed can be expensive, you you either need to figure that into the equation, or fix it yourself. It's not necessarily hard, it's just very time consuming. But, the car is in decent shape, and you said it runs, which is a HUGE bonus. Plus it's a 2dr = more desirable. If you could get it for $1k or less, you've done good.

The only thing i saw, that i thought was a hard fix was picture i posted,but if not as bad as it looks than ( for your location ) it`s not that bad a deal. The butterscotch 2 door in my yard has way worse Flintstone floorboards than that car. That 411 does look pretty clean

And i tried phrasing first sentence better but could not do so....