L20Boosted Goon

imtb

Starting to build L20B Turbo for my Goon. Here's how the goon sits now with current LZ22, SSS head, Dual Mikuni's.

Picture609.jpg

1-5-08003.jpg

I was orginally going to do a blow through with Dellorto carb. That I picked up from boardster. Got talked out of that because of the posiablity of fireball. Still think it can be done.

Picture596.jpg

I was keeping my eye out for an exhaust manifold and happen to find this one on ebay, from Mcshagger.

Had it ceramic coated. I also found the efi intake and head on here from crazytown.

Picture616.jpg

Picture616.jpg

Its a slow process, this winter I have updated my fuel pump, put in 280zx elec. fuel pump and 3/8 supply and return lines. Alos FPR and which will have to be changed for turbo.

Picture605.jpg

Picture603.jpg

Picture595.jpg

I also put in Holley oil pressure switch for the elec. fuel pump. She back running but alot snow and cold here.

I am having the L20B block bored to 87mm and deck O ringed,I picked up Z22 crank and rods. Going with forged pistions.

Here is the ECU I am planning on using

http://www.sdsefi.com/index.html

Now I am working on getting the intake set for the sensor and throttle body and throttle cable. Also trying to work out the fuel rail

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Thats about it for now will keep you posted with any progress.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do yourself a favor and install a KA oil pump for more volume. It will also give higher hot idle pressure. If you run a spray bar, shim for higher pressure, a cooler or the extra line from a turbo you really shoud have this for insurance.

I am planning on using the 280ZX turbo oil pump. Going to run the turbo oil line from the oil sending unit hole, have a T installed and braided stainless line from there to the turbo.

I am keeping the HP conserative saying around 200-225, hoping to get 200hp.

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning on using the 280ZX turbo oil pump. Going to run the turbo oil line from the oil sending unit hole, have a T installed and braided stainless line from there to the turbo.

I am keeping the HP conserative saying around 200-225, hoping to get 200hp.

If you get one from a parts store, make sure it is a ZX Turbo oil pump and the part number is different than any other Z or ZX.

One store wanted to sell me one they had in stock for a "280zx turbo" as per their computer system, and it was the same part number as any other Z car oil pump! This was a mainstream auto parts store too!

The ZX pumps are high volume but you may pay a premium price for them. The high volume pump is also used on all '86.5-'88 Z24i motor, '89- and up Z24E or Z24DE equipped D-21 Hardbodys also the '88-'93 KA24E (not the KA24DE) equipped 240sx, and the LD28 Maxima Diesel.

The pumps don't have anything on the outside to show they are high volume or not so a visual check is the only way to be sure. Below is a regular everyday L series oil pump. Looking down in inlet hole you can just barely see the top of the trochoid rotors.

motorHi-volumeoilpump1Lg.jpg

Compare that with the 14% taller rotors in the high volume unit. The edge of the rotor is plainly visible above the edge of the inlet hole.

motorHi-volumeoilpump2Lg.jpg

That is a bad ass goon!

I notice your batt the positive is in the front of the car. maybe best to turn it around. I notice they are very close to the hood and if the batter slides to could short out(I KNOW!!!!!!!!)

what the hose going in the block on the driver side?

Little bit of hesitation when you hit the pedal? maybe carbs to big?

either way engine looks clean.

what type exhaust you have?

• 3 weeks later...

Been slow going but getting a few little things done.

Got my Z22 cranks and rods magnafluxed and they checked out. Order forged pistons from Ross Racing they will take a few weeks to make.

Picture626.jpg

I pulled out my a/c unit and sold it to pay for my fuel injectors and they should be in a few days. I also had to remove the a/c for the SDS ECU tray. I got the idea from qwick510 and pretty happy with the final result.

Picture647.jpg

Picture649.jpg

Picture654.jpg

Picture655.jpg

Picture655.jpg

Picture656.jpg

Picture658.jpg

Picture659.jpg

I now have a good secure spot to mount the SDS and relay and easy access.

Here is pic of my sons bike we just built for him. I think it looks like a rat rod.

And current engine pic.

DSCN1989.jpg

Picture621.jpg

Thats all the updates for now.

The mikuni's are working great, super easy to install and tune. They can even be setup for blow through turbo. I'll post a video when weather clears up.

hey i know you're not a regular here

but when you're able, please post some detailed info and pics on your twin mikuni setup?

some of us are really interested in doing the same

but the shop in arizona (vpd) that sells the kits is apparently ripping people off

so we'll need to know what it takes to build our own kit

tia

ps, your pm inbox is f'n full (probably of guys wanting to buy your old setup)