what type and where can you put an electronic oil pressure relay/senor on engine

burrito213

i have been reading articles and forums on what to buy, where to put, and what to do for putting in an electronic oil pressure option for my truck

i dont know if the will fit yet, but i was looking at getting one of those dolphin gauges for my truck and if they do fit, i would like to have the option for electronic and not mechanical gauges because, knowing me, i will mess up the connections and have engine oil inside the truck.

anybody know or have done this and could possibly lead me to the water for this option?

this will be going on a j15 engine

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the sender from any oil pressure gauge equipped Nissan like the 280zx, 200sx (S110) 4x4 720 truck and the simple round gauge from the 720 truck. The sender screws right into the oil sender hole in the block, no adapters needed. It also allows the red low pressure light to keep working too.

I put this in with all spare parts laying around. Dash lights are connected as well.

710oilgageinstall008Large.jpg

Yup. That's what I did on the 710. The connector is a T just like the one on the alternator. The top of the T is for the gauge and the vertical part of the T is for the red low oil pressure light in the dash. Just wire your red oil light wire to the vertical connector and run a new wire from the gauge to the horizontal connector.

Provide a power source when the key is on/run to one side of the gauge. The other side goes to the sender that varies the ground to vary the gauge reading. To test the gauge, ground the sender side and the gauge will read full pressure.

Usually (720 at least) the red low oil pressure light wire is Yellow/Green stripe the gauge wire is Yellow/Blue stripe.

The Canadian gauge reads in Kilograms per centimeter squared. I a yank PSI one sent up by Steve G.

710oilgageinstall010Large.jpg

I got a brass T-piece with a BSP thread from a hydraulic parts shop here. The male end of the T-piece goes into the oil pressure sender port #14 on the block, as on Matt's pic. The OEM oil pressure switch goes into one female end of the T-piece - into the other end goes the aftermarket sender switch. So I still have the oil light on the dash. Just take care that you have enough clearance to fit the T-piece and sender switches near the oil filter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't know if you have found this yet, but I will answer since no one else is. In your second picture of the J13 you will notice a plug screwed into an oil galley behind the distributor. It is just near the bolt for your engine stand. That is where the stock oil pressure sender goes. I assume that is where your new one would go as well. However, it doesn't look to me like the one you pulled off of the L motor is any different than the stock one. It looks just like the one I have on my J13. I am interested to know if you get this figured out. I would like to have this set up too, even though I just replaced my sender with a new stock one. It would be nice to know I wasn't having pressure issues for sure. Once the light goes on its too late. :angry:

Boxboy is correct, the plug to the left of the dist. is the oil galley senser hole. The senser you took a photo of on the L block is the oil light senser

only, it is not the senser Datzenmike is talking about, the next photo is what your looking for to have an electrical light and electrical gauge. You will need the gauge that goes with the senser, you can find them in the 1980-86 datsun/nissan 720 pickup center consoles if they have them, you need the gauge and the senser Burrito.

eCIMG0072-1.jpg

oilsenderforgaugeLarge.jpg

Just to follow this up a little, I am wondering if the threads are the same on the J13 and the sensor from the 80-86 truck. Seems like there is always talk of one being SAE and the other metric. Will the new sensor screw right in without an adapter? The other question is, what could one expect to pay at the yard for these parts?

All Nissan oil senders and the block threads are 1/8" BSP (British Standard Pipe) thread. I believe they were used through 2000 and may still even be used today.

What you want is an adapter from 1/8 BSP to 1/8 NPTF. Your after market sender will either thread into it or you can at least get another NPTF thread adapter for it. In the picture below (tks Hainz) it has an elbow fitting for the tube type oil pressure gauge.

oilsenderadaptor-1.jpg

Why the BSP instead of metric thread????? Well after WW II Nissan was modernizing and got into bed with the British firm of Austin and was contracted to build/assemble one of their cars under license, the Austin A40, for sale in Japan... which they did. This gave them access to patents and designs which the Japanese are so good at copying imitating, but also adding the all important improvements that make it so much better than the original. This is why the A series can trade parts with the MG engine. One of the things that Nissan kept was the old 1/8 BSP thread for the oil sender.