Project "second chance"

Llittle_Llama

Bought my truck back today for an even grand. Project sick20 was sold on June 24th of 2009... I traded it with a guy and I drove it to his storage place and he parked it where the del sol I traded for had been sitting for god knows how long. The datto never moved, was never cranked, and I pray to God that the tires I installed 2 weeks before I traded it don't have flat spots on them. He gave me back all the parts I gave him..... in the same boxes.... and he never touched the truck :( I went out this morning to meet him, it would not crank so I bought a new battery, still no cranking, bought a new starter, still no cranking, ground was bad ;) turned over, I put fuel in the carb, cranked and it caught for just long enough to get the starter fluid and mist it in and BAM! she was alive!!! Coolant hoses were frozen so I massaged them and broke up the ice and after a few minutes of idling I felt a WOOSH as all the ice broke free and went into the block. The radiator only had a few inches if that of water in it, and it was eerie how it was just as I had left it. He left the windows cracked about 2 inches for Gos knows why and so the leather MR2 seats I put in before I traded it are moldy and in dire need of attention. The wiring looks like shit, but I did it before I traded it and thankfully from rebuilding my wiring harness for the Honda know 100 times more about doing it and will take a weekend and make a full new engine harness, then a cab harness and finally a bed harness. There are dead vines that grew into the cab through the drain holes and they are in EVERYTHING! I was able to inflate the bags and held air for the mile I drove it. The lights don't work, the wipers don't work, and everything feels familiar yet foreign. I can't remember if it was as bumpy as it is now and if feels like the wheels aren't on right. Tomorrow when it's not snowing, and I have daylight I'll get to work on it and try to get it home. I drove it a mile up the road from the storage to a 24 hour fitness gym so it would be safe (I hope) through the night. I aired out the bags, I took my battery, and I locked it up. My baby needs a lot of love, but she needed about half of what it needs before I traded it. The starter didn't work after I got it to the fitness center, it started to turn then made a weird noise I have never heard a starter make. I would swap the old starter back on, but the upper bolt hole for the starter is about fucked. When I took it out it gave me hell and had shavings on it, when I went to put it back in it looked wicked in the hole, and after I got the bolt in metal shavings were coming out of the back like you wouldn't believe. Starter was only 25 bucks, so I'm not too worried about it. I also put about a third of a bottle of lucas in the VC while it was running, probably should have done that earlier...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got it started and running fine, but the starter is still not working right, and I have to pass inspection here in Tx. so I have to spend the next few days getting the horn wired up again and the headlights and tails, and wipers... I think that's all. I'm about to go and try to get it home from the gym I left her at last night... he looked so sad as I drove off to leave it yet again :(

Got it home, I forgot that the batt to starter cable had a splice in it, tightened down the bolt and after a few tried it fired up ;) aired up the bags with the big ass shop compressor I brought in the kia soul (rental, I didn't give a damn how scratched up the interior got) and got on my way! Mom's on her way now to get me and take me back to the soul now so I can bring that piece of crap home. I have to get it emptied out before 4 this afternoon so I can return it. Some hoe hit my wifes highlander the day before x-mas and it's been in the shop since. Apparently a kia soul is comparable to a highlander (actually it's an upgrade from their base models and I was "lucky" to get that). Turns out in Tx. the insurance has to give you a rental while your car is in the shop, but it doesn't say what kind of rental, so base model it is. Now here's the fun part, car won't get out of the body shop until friday, but work was supposed to be done today. So what does the insurance do? Ask for the rental back and say tough titties.

i can barely tell it a 620 lol

but you can though, cant you ;) Wiring starts tomorrow. I have about 1000 feet of shrink tubing, a few tubes of soldier, and about 200 feet of 18 gauge wire... I'm going to try and get the tails installed right in the roll pan, clean the cab up a bit and build a wiring harness for the bed of the truck with a connector built into the back of the cab for when the bed needs to come off. Any ideas on a good solid weatherproof connector?