long time lurker

Smitty

Hello Ratsun,

I didn't see a noob section so I'll just start here. I'm generally a Volkswagen guy but every so often I find myself attracted to minitrucks and I 've owned a few 720's and a couple of 620's over the years. About 10 years ago I caught "new car fever" and traded my 85 king cab and some cash for a 2 yr old S10 with less than 20k miles. Don't get me wrong it's a great truck, 4.3 Vortec, 5 speed, lowered on 17x8 and 17x11's, cowl hood, yadda yadda basic hotrod styling...but I've always missed that 720 king cab and since the guy that bought it totalled it, owning it again was out of the question. Fast forward 10 years, I sold off one of my VW's to free up some money and garage space and started looking for a '74 down 2 door 510 or possibly another '85 720 kingcab. I found a '77 620 kingcab. It was rusty but I wasn't looking for anything fancy and it was inexpensive and it ran and drove, perfect for a ratrod V8 swap. TWO DAYS later a fellow saw it, loved it, made me an offer I couldn't turn down, so away it went!

Now, if you are still reading, I'm on the hunt again and the minitruckin' gods are smiling. I hear tale of another "old" Datsun for sale and head over to check it out. What I found was a '71 521 "farm truck", original owner, original paint, original title issued in 1970, still at the original address on the title, owner's manual and warranty/service book in the glove box along with the radio delete plate. Containing my excitement, I negotiated a deal and brought it home. After closer inspection I found the cab is perfect with the exception of a small rust hole on the driver's rocker but the floors, cab mounts and corners are beautiful. After removing and cleaning the fuel tank, blowing the lines clear with compressed air, replacing the brake master and bleeding the brakes, changing the oil and filter, fuel filter and adding a battery I had a running and driving truck. After going through all the electrical connections (which is like 5 on this thing, lol) under the hood and cleaning off all the corrosion I was able to get pretty much everything working with the exception of the light in the engine bay and I haven't messed with the Kangaroo bag/pump. I've since added a new muffler, lowered it, new tires and wheels, buffed off the oxidation and have just been cruising it around making people smile. It's the first 521 body I've ever seen in person and being so solid, it truly is a rare find for the eastern portion of the states as most Datsuns I see here are generally rust buckets. Enough jibber-jabber, I've lurked here long enough to know you guys like OICS

When I brought it home:

112910_14091.jpg

DSC06524.jpg

DSC06525.jpg

After washing and buffing

DSC06527.jpg

DSC06533.jpg

DSC06528.jpg

work related injury

DSC06532.jpg

random

DSC06610.jpg

DSC06609.jpg

DSC06613.jpg

Curently

DSC06599.jpg

DSC06592.jpg

Oh, by the way, if you couldn't tell I could use a good passanger side front fender, preferrably in #46 green if anybody can help me locate one

It's not exactly the 510 I was looking for but has turned out to be a great little truck!

thanks for reading my giant post

-smitty

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone! It's nice to get a positive response when you put effort into something. It was definitely a barn find as I cleaned enough mouse poop and dead bugs and leaves out of it to hold me over for awhile. The front bumper brackets are a little tweaked, I assume from using it to push start a tractor or some other implement, but the bumper is straight. Just one more item on the "to-do" list. I would love to do a motor swap but it just runs too good to justify. It's showing 75k on the clock and judging by the condition I have no reason to doubt it's accuracy, I suppose it could be 175k but there really is very little wear on the truck, relatively speaking. I probably won't do much else to the truck besides fixing the rocker, front fender, wire wheel and undercoat the bottom side. I was thinking about maybe some bedliner but I'm not sure about that yet, what do you guys recommend? I guess if I do the rocker and find a fender I could have some paint mixed and get enough to do the bed as well. I went and looked under the hood after reading datzen mike's post and it looks like it might have had a 5 on the paint code that has worn off.....

DSC06620.jpg

thanks again for the kind words

as in 646?

Ohhhh, never mind then. I thought you were talking about the last number. But when I look at the numbers again closely, the first number does look a lot more like a 5 then a six, only cause the top is flat, and 6's don;t usually have a flat top. Haha

I went and looked under the hood after reading datzen mike's post and it looks like it might have had a 5 on the paint code that has worn off.....

DSC06620.jpg

Yep the 5 wore off. Gotta be careful with the cleaning agents around those stickers. I almost erased mine with purple power. :lol:

are those titan 18's in one of the first pictures? bad assery for sure

yep, thanks

That is a nice little 521.....but i am diggin on the bus in the back ground of one of the photos....I want to see a better picture of that....!!!!

'61 double-door panel. Still working on it but thanks

DSC06462-1.jpg