Tube-frame 1968 Datsun 510 - Slowest moving project ever!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since last post, the clutch is plumbed and functional, the cooling system is "hosed" and awaits testing. The stock fan and clutch were modified to fit.

The stock z31 internal wastegate turbo system is being retained for reasons of simplicity at this time. The stock exhaust/wastegate housing is a cast piece which come rearward about 3 inches and then turns down 90 degrees. The stock exhaust tubing which connects to this then turns 90 degrees again to return to horizontal.

The wastegate housing was sectioned and the stock flange re-connected in the horizontal, straight-through orientation. In addition to the shortened section, this will allow two 45-degree bends to replace two 90's, which I believe should result in a two-fold reduction of flow restriction. The modified wastegate housing was lightly ported, then connected to 2.5" mandrel tubing. The improvement in flow from stock should be substantial. Regardless, these modifications were necessary to fit the application, which was a challenge with the rearward placed and VERY LOW engine. The remainder of the exhaust should be fairly straightforward to fabricate from this point.

510hrturbomod1.jpg

And for the first time I drove the beast out into the world under it's own power! A few hundred feet was enough to drive it with wires everywhere, no floorboards or exhaust, and a few mock-up bolts securing the differential while I settle on a final mount system.

510hrExitsShop.jpg

So, with the suspension pickup points placed by choice rather than the constraints of the stock body, the "car" has a wide range of ride height options. Everything was built to be easy to adjust, so it's fun to just play with it.

I lowered it all the way down, then started cranking it up 'till it looked good to me.

///////////////////

This is what I feel is a nice, reasonable ride height.

//////////////////

People keep telling me "oh my GAWD, it's too low....what would you do if you were driving and came across a piece of wood in the road?"

Well, fear not! I grabbed the first piece of lumber at hand in the shop - some "5/4-inch decking". The car EASILY rolls right over.

NOW, AS LONG AS I DON'T COME ACROSS SOMETHING HUGE LIKE A 2x4" - it should be no problem.

What, am I crazy? I mean, c'mon people, let's get real, Huh? I don't want to have the car all "jacked up" like an off-road truck!

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

510hrreasonablerideheight.jpg

dude dont worry what eveyrone else says..that thing IS SICK..!!!! I LUV IT...wish i could be that low...will the wheels clear in the front when turning? (not sure if it was asked already...) thanks

dude dont worry what eveyrone else says..that thing IS SICK..!!!! I LUV IT...wish i could be that low...will the wheels clear in the front when turning? (not sure if it was asked already...) thanks

The front suspension has a WIDE range of adjustment, so anything's possible. The car is set up with the wheels "out" fairly far and about 0 Deg camber. The wheels clear as I drove it today, but NOT in the LOW LOW position like in the pic you have above (with the fenders off). I could probably make it work with a lot of negative camber and pulling in the lower control arms (they're length adjustable as they run heim joints)

So far, I've even abstained from rolling the fender lips! - but I'll probably do that when I get further along and start fine tuning the suspension.

:hyper: LOOKING GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

So thrilled for you that you were able to get it fired up, shifting and driving!

Pumped to seee more! You've come a long way baby! :hug:

HAHAHA!!!!!!! :poke:

Seriously though...from the humble beginings to where it's at now... :thumbup:

The exhaust was run mainly to clarify clearances in the firewall and driver's floor area. This is where clearances are tightest, mainly because the exhaust will run NO LOWER than the bottom of the frame tubes - in keeping with the "absolutely nothing hanging down" (for ground clearance) rule.

Ed is the master with templating and sheet metal fabrication, so I monkeyed around with other things while he worked, and then I welded when and where he told me!

The first bits of firewall are shown coming together here...

510hrearlyfirewall.jpg

• 1 month later...

packaging the driveshaft so "high" in the cabin (really the frame/cabin is built 'Low' and draped/channeled down over the drivetrain) - but regardless of your persective, that driveshaft is close to the driver. VG30et power shouldn't be brutal (running the vg driveshaft as well) but I want to have more than .040 aluminum and heat insulation between me and it if it DID ever come apart.

SO a frame/form for the driveshaft tunnel was made out of steel strap at each end near the U-joints to double as a protective "driveshaft loop" just in case.

Also, the front section of the transmission hump coming off the firewall was made in a bit heavier steel, another "just in case" scattershield.

Ed worked his magic envisioning a workable shape for the driver's heel floor area/ exhaust heat shield - which we made out of steel. Thermal Control pPoducts makes a 3/4-circumferential heat blanket with clamps and stand-offs which bolts to the exhaust. Further "layers" of heat control including ceramic coating (the exhaust and/or the backside of the shield) are being considered, and I'll do them on a "add as needed" basis once I'm rolling with this heifer.

FINALLY I got a chance to rough-cut the Aluminum floor panels and lay them in - what an illusion of progress!

510hrflr2.jpg

This shows the "worm's eye view" of the frame, which I think does a good job of showing how the car is being put together. I will soon media blast, sand, flap-wheel, and otherwise remove the flash surface rust (an unfortunate byproduct of cleaning the steel for optimum welding). Paint will then seal up the frame. Probably PPG products again - damn the cost!

510hrbottomside.jpg

for ...um...because we can.

That should be the name of this thread..... :lol: ........... stop making us feel so inferior .............. ... wait... .. no.. .. . go right ahead and continue

I LOVE how high your differential is......... My 510's diff is almost on the ground when the rockers are 3" off the ground....... and there is NO suspension travel left (rear trailing arms are hitting the body)........... Not to mention the front crossmember and exaust problems................. It looks like you thought of everything for a great LOW 510. . . . . . . awesome project