Tube-frame 1968 Datsun 510 - Slowest moving project ever!

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

i love this build dont get me wrong but...looking at the space on the left hand side...i woulda made it right hand drive so is doesnt sem so cramped...but thats just me man. great job on the build i love it.

This is true.  In fact, the VG30ET has the turbo - and exhaust downpipe on the Left side.  In this build, the engine centerline was set to the Right 1.125" to make a little extra room.  I found that this gained me plenty of room.  In fact, there is more room (width) on the driver's side - it may not look like this in the pics but it's true.

Our beloved (stock) L-series, of course, have "all the stuff" on the Left side.  With the intake, exhaust, brake and clutch masters, and the steering column and box on that side - it can get crowded.  Large side-draft carbs exacerbate the problem - ask me how I know.

When you see a RHD L-series, it all makes sense  (exhaust, intake on the L - steering column, brake and clutch m/c's on the right- nice balance) . I lived in Japan for a while in 1989 - space management is a skill well-demonstrated there.

So - to your point - a Right hand drive car would be one solution - but in the case of the VG30et, which has a (mostly) central intake manifold, and exhaust manifolds on each side dictacted by the v configuration - a simpler space solution would be a R-sided turbo and exhaust.  Some have done this.  Many have made a front-mounted crossover pipe between the two exhaust manifolds (stock is rear mounted, right up against the firewall).  The Z31 guys have quite a few creative solutions.

Different solutions - they all work.    

• 1 year later...

I was looking for images of rear Z car control arms and reintroduced myself to blueridgespeed's thread.

This is an awesome build, just thought I would bump it up to see if there have been any progress on it as of late.

Sometime builds this intense need a break. When I built my tube framed 510 racecar there was a 16-18 month period were I didn't touch the car.

Sometimes you need to step back to let a little sanity wash over you. And then when normalcy appears to have returned, its back down the rabbit hole at full throttle.

• Like 1