A15 into a Sixty two 320 (Datsun Hell)

IS an A series A 15 motor from a 1982 Datsun 210 a direct bolt in into a 1962 320 pickup ? I would like to keep the Column shift 4 speed trans . Some of you Ratsun members might know the truck from the website Datsun Hell . I just bought it from the person who bought it from the person who started that website . Its on the East Coast (Just outside of New York City ) and Datsun parts are scarce here .

Thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't keep the column shift as the 2 transmissions are entirely different. You need an A-series trans to go with the A-series eng.

You have to make custom mounts (engine and trans) and a custom driveshaft (the A-series transmissions all use a different output spline than the 320 ones), but they otherwise fit with relative ease due to the similarly (small) size (no body hacking). Only thing after that is possibly the oil pan, as the crossmembers/center links aren't in the same places.

320 parts are scarce everywhere. They're quickly approaching 50 years old. How many 50 year old cars were running in 1962?

OK thanks for the replies on the A series motors . I have been researching motors to use in the 320 and came across Fishs posts about the MG engines being close but none of the posts ended with a definate yes or NO as to weather the 1800 MGB engine is a bolt up to the Datsun Transmission ?? If i am looking at losing the shift on the column and have to fabricating mounts and modifying driveshafts it opens up a whole world of engines to put in .

OK thanks for the replies on the A series motors . I have been researching motors to use in the 320 and came across Fishs posts about the MG engines being close but none of the posts ended with a definate yes or NO as to weather the 1800 MGB engine is a bolt up to the Datsun Transmission ?? If i am looking at losing the shift on the column and have to fabricating mounts and modifying driveshafts it opens up a whole world of engines to put in .

Here is a 411 with a BMC 1800! (411 would have had a J or E Engine, I think a J13. But but the J is the next generation of the E, same mounts.)

My link

And here is what the BMC 1800 can do. Burnout!

My link

Did you catch this thread? Should bolt in, but it looks like you have to figure out the flywheel if running a Datsun Trans with the MGB engine. That said MG Sprite guys have been running Datsun 5-speeds on their British engines for years, so i know it can be done. I think Rivergate makes an adapter. I am not an expert on british transmissions, but if you ran one you might need a custom driveshaft to mate to the rear axle.

My link

I'd be psyched to see a BMC 1800 in a 320! You could supercharge it or cross flow head it!

Fisch

I have been all over your posts on Ratsun and the British car sites , The MG parts are so much easier to find than the Datsun parts in my area (I am 15 minutes outside New York City) . The BMW head was by far the most impressive (and Expensive ) .. The Flywheel seems to be the one Issue with putting an MG in place of an E1 or J13 ?? I have been working on Datsuns for over 30 years but all of them have been Z cars I wish an L28 would work . I have tons of them !

Fisch

I have been all over your posts on Ratsun and the British car sites , The MG parts are so much easier to find than the Datsun parts in my area (I am 15 minutes outside New York City) . The BMW head was by far the most impressive (and Expensive ) .. The Flywheel seems to be the one Issue with putting an MG in place of an E1 or J13 ?? I have been working on Datsuns for over 30 years but all of them have been Z cars I wish an L28 would work . I have tons of them !

How crazy cool would a L28 320 be! But man, not a lot of foot room after dicing that firewall, right! :D

If I had to do a swap on my 1959 datsun (has the C engine- first generation of the E and J) and I couldn't source a J15-J18...

For the least intrusive swap I think I had it narrowed down to the BMC 1800 (Prolly the best bang, best fit for the least $ and tons of mods out there. Hell, the J-13 valve cover might even still fit!, CA18et (small, turbo, but no intercooler to worry about like the CA18DET would.), A-series (Purple has a A-series in his 1960.)

An L-series 4banger will fit but I've seen it set back into the firewall. Might not need to do that if using a pusher fan though. But if I were going L I might just go KA!

However if I were getting out the sawsall... VG33ER (V6 Supercharger). Or a carbed VG30 has an amazing sound!).

You can also think about an FJ or SR if you are getting crazy too.

You are right that there are a ton more British parts in our neck of the country. And just about anything that can be done to a BMC has been done!

Where we run into trouble on the early Datsun stuff is clearing the steering and master cylinders. But there are always work arounds. (Crossflow head on a BMC1800 puts the carbs and intake on the passenger side I think, so that is nice for making some room! Sparks are harder to access though.)

Man I am psyched for you on this 320. Sometimes I wish my '59 weren't as complete and nice as it is because then I wouldn't care about modding the hell out of it! And great to have a Ratsun guy in the N east who has been around Datsuns for a long time!

Keep us posted on your progress and start a build thread in the project section!

Fisch

I am currently searching for a "scrap" BMC bottom end to get my hands on so i can physically put the two together side by side and see what is what between those two motors. There are a couple on CL in my area if the sellers would just return my call or my email . I have had a Nash Metropolitan with the 1500 motor but that was long before i bought this 320. If you ever saw the website Datsun Hell thats the truck i own now . I do like keeping my Z cars all original but this truck has had so many things done to over the years and for safety sake needs a few upgrades (Front Disc Brakes and a dual master Cylinder) I dont mind coloring outside the lines on this one

With fuel prices on the rise again i keep toying with the idea putting a 4Cyl Diesel in it and running it on Vegetable oil .I had a Mazda B2200 with the Perkins 2.2 Non turbo Diesel that was a fun truck that got almost 40 MPG .I still have an 82 Maxima with the LD28 Diesel . I kept the motor and trans from the Mazda 2200 for a future project and the future may be here if i cant keep the column shift on the 320 !To me the Perkins Diesel is an industrial motor(they are used in Marine applications) sort of like a Cummins that many manufacturers use so they dont have to build their own , They are bullet proof and come from the factory with 2 oil filters and an oil cooler .

One other thing i saw a drawing you did of your 59 pulling a wheelie with wheels similar to Torque Thrusts (5 spoke) on it . I cant find that now . Can you direct me to where it is ? Those are the wheels i want to put on the 320 (old school hot rod) no one makes them in 6 lug so a 5 lug conversion will also be part of the project . I am thinking of continuing the Datsun Hell theme but have not decided what to call it . Datsun Hell II or Datsun Hell continues maybe the readers of Ratsun can help?

:D (These are only in Japan though. :(

pipelinetokyo-img600x450-1201773446pipelinetokyo-img600x450-1198113363sr6spt16a.jpeg

pipelinetokyo-img403x225-1177493521.jpg

But here is an old post I made in a 6lug wheel thread:

BTW guys, Not a JDM wheel, BUT, Summit Racing is now selling a 6 spoke torque thrust too!! It is 17X8" which is a nice size. Offset up to +19. American racing torq thrust STs use to have an 18" but usually I only see 20+ these days.

These 17" Summits would be sic on a 521!!! I'd like smaller for the '59 though.

Summit 141 legend 6

sum-141-7883gm19_w.jpg

I agree the 17s are a bit big for the early trucks/cars . I have 5 lug Z31 hubs i am going to try on the front of the 320 and the rears just need the axels/drums redrilled to the 5X114.3 pattern or 5X4.5 which Nissan shares with Ford and Chrysler .I am a big fan of the Torque Thrust look ! A set of 15X7 with Red or Gold stripe tires would look great and be period correct .

• 4 months later...

Here's a pic of my '65 L320 with a A12 in it. It fit great, but it did not bolt in. I use a 5 spd trans behind it and can cruise at 80 mph, no problem. Th stock air cleaner was modified to bolt to a DGV without that stupid adapter ring. I think the stock one looks cooler than the small chrome K&N filters.

EngineSmall.jpg

• Like 1

Go with the small work needed to fit the A-series. They are light, powerful for their size, super reliable, and have a great 5-speed. Basically modify the mounts and maybe shorten the driveshaft.

Much much better than a stock BMC engine as the Datsun A-series is 3rd-generation improvement from the Austin A-series. However they are smaller than the 1800s (B-series?) ... that would be a tossup.

Keep it real, keep it all Nissan.

Go with the small work needed to fit the A-series. They are light, powerful for their size, super reliable, and have a great 5-speed. Basically modify the mounts and maybe shorten the driveshaft.

Much much better than a stock BMC engine as the Datsun A-series is 3rd-generation improvement from the Austin A-series. However they are smaller than the 1800s (B-series?) ... that would be a tossup.

Keep it real, keep it all Nissan.

And they say NISSAN on the valve cover!

• 1 month later...

Hey, a little British and Japanese love here....

Use a MGB 1800 with the Weber... and a Nash Metropolitan three (or four) speed. They bolt right up, you just need a pre-1967 MGB engine (3 main bearing). The MG Magnette may be of help here too (I'm not sure).

The Nash Metropolitan uses a 'three on the tree' shifter, but the transmission is the same as the MGB unit less one gear. Nash-Kelvinator and the Brits thought that Americans would like a lower geared rear end and to keep the engine in it's torque peak, lost a gear.

I am putting an A-14 with automatic into a 1957 Metropolitan. Don't have the old trans, or shift linkage. There are also new 'steering column' billet shifting set ups (hot rodders) out there.

My '62 320 will be getting an A-14 with type '63A five speed, I have a floor shift floor pan that will work from factory.

Good luck.

I did the mg bmc parts purchace for different odds and ends and as similar the j15 is to the 1800, the parts aren't so interchangable. The water inlet for the 1800 does not have a bolt insert for the generator/alt mounting and is smaller in height. I believe the gasket kits are cool though.

This is a 1965 datsun 320 with an A15 with dual SUs and a 5 speed transmission, it zoomed around pretty good in the city. I had to make the engine and tranny mounts, I was able to keep the stock oil filter buy putting a more modern(smaller) idler arm in the truck, otherwise you will have to run a remote filter, it is a pain to remove the transmission if it goes bad, as there isn't a lot of room down there. I had fun in this truck till the kid hit me head on and ruined the truck.

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Really digging up an old thread, but I'm going to buy a '65 L320. The old E1 is practically done for and I'm unsure if I want to take on rebuilding an E1. I'm an L series type of guy, but I'd love to swap in an A14/15 into this 320. 

Wayno, more directed towards you, but can anyone produce motor mounts?

This is a 1965 datsun 320 with an A15 with dual SUs and a 5 speed transmission, it zoomed around pretty good in the city. I had to make the engine and tranny mounts, I was able to keep the stock oil filter buy putting a more modern(smaller) idler arm in the truck, otherwise you will have to run a remote filter, it is a pain to remove the transmission if it goes bad, as there isn't a lot of room down there. I had fun in this truck till the kid hit me head on and ruined the truck.

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

Gah, the engine seems to be mounted really low in the bay. Was that for carb clearance, or is it just the angle of the picture?