1971 PL521

nevada

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like a 620 transmission to me, it has them gussets on the sides holding the two halves together.

It is a longshaft that looks to be a 5 speed and is pre 1980 I believe.

See the rib going up the middle of the bellhousing/front of case, dogleg transmissions do not have that rib, and are smooth in that area.

top_zps1d3392a4.jpg

The driveline will come out of the back of the transmission, you will just have to pull on it harder.

Longshaft transmissions are 31 inches long from the front of the case to the rear of the tailshaft, shortshafts are 26 inches.

• Like 1

I did a bit of cleaning on it and found a Yellow paint marker on the top left that looks an awful lot like "Dat 620 5 sp" under a thick layer of crud, I snapped a pic but it was already being worn off by solvent.

yellowpaintmarker_zps035283bb.jpg

The only casting numbers I found were on the shifter cast the number "56"

56onshifter_zps39665703.jpg

And on the right side was an "L7" next to what I think is the back up switch but only one wire was on it.

rightsideL7castingclose_zps41916021.jpg

It was thick with crud and I've only been able to clean off about 3/4 of it off, I'll have to pick back up on it when time off from work allows.

almostcleaned_zps6474fb01.jpg

• Like 1

As I understand it, the dogleg pattern has reverse all the way towards the driver and up like so......

doglegpattern_zps56a6706c.jpg

But from how it felt, the detent spring which you have to push past in order to get into reverse was on the opposite side towards the passenger like below.

5speedshiftpattern_zpsf0c659ac.jpg

This leads me to believe it's not a dog-leg, but hell I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again I'm sure! I didn't check to see if the shifter in the left-up position turned differently than the left-low position yet, I'll check that when I can. Got to get up at 3 AM, so I'm out for now.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

the 71 pl521 1600 is a 2.0L JUST GOT ONE MY SELF  :)  i"ll be learning with you youngster..but these trucks are the most basic an easy to work on guess you have'nt wrenched  just get the truck! we can learn the specs together from an canadian who has the same truck an is doing frame off resto-mod..he is on here  another forem

• Like 1

the 71 pl521 1600 is a 2.0L JUST GOT ONE MY SELF  :)  i"ll be learning with you youngster..but these trucks are the most basic an easy to work on guess you have'nt wrenched  just get the truck! we can learn the specs together from an canadian who has the same truck an is doing frame off resto-mod..he is on here  another forem

epic post fail the last post before yours was over 3 years ago

• Like 2

epic post fail the last post before yours was over 3 years ago

Lol, I have been away for a while, haven't I? Well since this thread is no longer asleep I guess I'll fill in the blanks a bit. Still been working like a rabid dog, haven't done a damned thing to the truck! I have been keeping my other vehicles maintained so I have at least 3 ways to get to work at all times, that by itself has kept me busy. I now have a buddy that was kicked out by his wife staying here, and he has said he will help me get to work on the Datsun while he's here so I may have some questions and some progress to post soon.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

lol..serious though.. well..have to spend more time in the garage less in the garden..sun must be getting to me...                                         have the truck home..have to transfer pics from phone to lap top..be up soon thanks for the response back..love the acranim..any body else here wrenching a 70's pl1600 truck..intrested in mods that inhance the stance..air bag..suspention and or motor..air intake ect. what works best 5speed trany conversion..and motor match up? lil' brush up.some body put me up on game please..as aways,RESPECT AN GRADITUDE

• Like 1

Update....I recently had a local fab shop put together an engine cradle for the L series motors I have to work on, and was able to get the L-16 for the truck off the old stand and in the cradle today. Now I can put the Flywheel, and clutch assembly together, bolt up the transmission, and get ready to drop it in! Still heavy on the work side, Hollywood goes long hours during the long summer days so I'll be trying to designate my weekends for recoop time and truck progress. Here are some of the pics of the cradle I had made and the swap from the old stand.

20160807_133737.jpg

20160807_133914.jpg

20160807_182712.jpg

20160807_183751.jpg

20160807_183803.jpg

• Like 2

That thing looks like it could fall on the ground nose first, be very careful till the tranny is on it.

That is a good looking stand, mine are way bigger, and take up way to much room also, but I make mine to work as test stands, the engine is running in these photos.

DSCN4337.JPG

DSCN4338.JPG

• Like 2

That thing looks like it could fall on the ground nose first, be very careful till the tranny is on it.

That is a good looking stand, mine are way bigger, and take up way to much room also, but I make mine to work as test stands, the engine is running in these photos.

Hey thanks Wayno, they did a nice job on it except I gave them a bare block and had to grind a bit off the exhaust side to clear the pipes. It looks a bit nose heavy but it is sitting nicely with no teetering at all. It was built to support both engine and tranny, and I have a little trailer wheel to mount under the tail when it's mounted. Sorry for the long time-out, it is what it is. B)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Birdman why dont you get the PCV tube and hook up to the intake manifold instead of that CAN?  I dont get it? That PCV tube and valve does work and will keep the bay cleaner.

Motor looks nice

Hey Banzai, sorry for the delay, work 16-17 hour days and nights and sleep becomes a priority! Are you referring to the crankcase breather tube sticking out past the exhaust? How should I plumb that? 

Also, I'm about to install the flywheel, clutch assembly and the tranny, is there anything I should be wary of? the clutch and disc are from the original L motor, the tranny is a 620 5-speed swap. Anything I need to make sure of before continuing?

20160825_153149.jpg

20160825_153217.jpg

20160825_153024.jpg

• Like 1

You should use the one that you were using before, it matches the clutch cover.

I guess I have to look for it, it was never all together, just a truck full of parts. I'll start looking now, wish me luck! Here is the pressure plate and disc in place.

20160825_164927.jpg

• Like 1

Someone on here has a loose L16 collar/throwout bearing on here, they just need to step up and measure it for you.

I just set it on a flat surface with the bearing down, and I stick the tape measure down the hole to the flat surface and look at what the measurement is at the top of the collar.

There are several different size collars, I don't know what they all are for, but the 200mm collar is fairly tall.

• Like 1