Nickname Spot ( daily driver,Project)

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Guest 510kamikazifreak

So I have been on the hunt for a daily driver 510(or other Datto) For a while now, Yesterday I recieved a email from a guy( I had a want ad) tells me its in good shape needs paint and carpet :unsure: .

So I called no answer,

Left message waited about an hr.

Called again he answers the phone, Ask the usual questions he tells me its not like 90% of the 510s around the Island, Wasnt too sure what to think, so make arrangment to see the car(Victoria) I was not too sure what to expect(was expecting typical rocker rot, floors etc, stock wheels)So we pulled into Victoria , Find where he lives, pulled around the corner and there is Spot( multi color :lol: ).

My eyes lit up :cool: Oh it has libres, New 205/60/13s :cool: , So get the spotlight out(was dark) upon very close inspection there is no rust throughs it was being prepped for a respray(staored 5 years)and never completed, He pulled it out of storage 1 month ago, went through stuff(fluids,etc)Got it running and was pondering selling her.

He read the ad I had posted and emailed me the next day,So by this time its 8pm freezing fricking cold,Well lets go to the insurance place and get this done, He was shocked, I said I wanted one, I meant it :lol:

So get it all insured, put a couple things back on Spot, we are off, Go get some good gas, away we go up the Malahat( Mountain :rolleyes: highway :lol: ) Its bloody cold as hell heats not working :lol: .

Pull into Mill Bay , check the heater control, Hmm not moving, well reach to heater valve and push it and walla have heat.. :cool:

So we drive a bit further up the highway, cough cough ,fart, poof dies , oh crap, immediatly I thought was dizzy Issue ;) , Phone my Parents(thanks Dad,Mom) get them to bring a spare that I have at their place(stuff all over :lol: ) So they do, by this time its getting to be 10-10:30 pm, My back is killing me( issues)They show up, parts in hand, proceed to swap dizzy and coil,try coil first nope no fire,Ok lets pull dizzy, Hmm dad says why is the rotor turning freely :unsure: ,Never seen that on a L motor :lol:

So we figured out that when he put the pertronic ignition it, Washers were not used on the Dizzy pedastil.Through some washers on it tighten up, Vroom we are off and running.

So we head to my parents place(coffee warm up, and rest the back)

We leave their place about 11:45 ish.

On the road over the Hump( another Mountain highway) Icey , cold, desolet driving..

We get home at 2;00 am :blink: :blink:

Frigging hurt today, But was worth it!!

Anyhow thats the story on Spot :lol: Soon to be my Daily driver :cool:

Spot002.jpg

Spot003.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have been on the hunt for a daily driver 510(or other Datto) For a while now, Yesterday I recieved a email from a guy( I had a want ad) tells me its in good shape needs paint and carpet :unsure: .

So I called no answer,

Left message waited about an hr.

Called again he answers the phone, Ask the usual questions he tells me its not like 90% of the 510s around the Island, Wasnt too sure what to think, so make arrangment to see the car(Victoria) I was not too sure what to expect(was expecting typical rocker rot, floors etc, stock wheels)So we pulled into Victoria , Find where he lives, pulled around the corner and there is Spot( multi color :lol: ).

My eyes lit up :cool: Oh it has libres, New 205/60/13s :cool: , So get the spotlight out(was dark) upon very close inspection there is no rust throughs it was being prepped for a respray(staored 5 years)and never completed, He pulled it out of storage 1 month ago, went through stuff(fluids,etc)Got it running and was pondering selling her.

He read the ad I had posted and emailed me the next day,So by this time its 8pm freezing fricking cold,Well lets go to the insurance place and get this done, He was shocked, I said I wanted one, I meant it :lol:

So get it all insured, put a couple things back on Spot, we are off, Go get some good gas, away we go up the Malahat( Mountain :rolleyes: highway :lol: ) Its bloody cold as hell heats not working :lol: .

Pull into Mill Bay , check the heater control, Hmm not moving, well reach to heater valve and push it and walla have heat.. :cool:

So we drive a bit further up the highway, cough cough ,fart, poof dies , oh crap, immediatly I thought was dizzy Issue ;) , Phone my Parents(thanks Dad,Mom) get them to bring a spare that I have at their place(stuff all over :lol: ) So they do, by this time its getting to be 10-10:30 pm, My back is killing me( issues)They show up, parts in hand, proceed to swap dizzy and coil,try coil first nope no fire,Ok lets pull dizzy, Hmm dad says why is the rotor turning freely :unsure: ,Never seen that on a L motor :lol:

So we figured out that when he put the pertronic ignition it, Washers were not used on the Dizzy pedastil.Through some washer on it tighten up, Vroom we are off and running.

So we head to my parents place(coffee warm up, and rest the back)

We leave their place about 11:45 ish.

On the road over the Hump( another Mountain highway) Icey , cold, desolet driving..

We get home at 2;00 am :blink: :blink:

Frigging hurt today, But was worth it!!

Anyhow thats the story on Spot :lol: Soon to be my Daily driver :cool:

Do you have the cliff notes for that novel?????............. :lol: ................. nice car btw..... :thumbup:

Guest 510kamikazifreak

awesome, clean ass car, I will be surprised if you can keep it as a daily driver. If I had a dime that clean I would be busy working on it.

Thanks

Will be the test of time for sure( If I can keep it as just a daily) ;)

Plan on sealing it up etc first to keep the moisture awat,Por the rockers/wheel whells.

:cool:

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Do you have the cliff notes for that novel?????............. :lol: ................. nice car btw..... :thumbup:

Pretty good hey Indy! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Considering I am a one or two sentence type of poster :ninja: :w00t: :w00t:

Lou I saw this post earlier but didn't notice the poster. Way-to-go dude! They are out there. Both my 710 fell in my lap so to speak. Killer start for a project or better than average DD for sure. Interior shots.What year? Anything special done to it?

Guest 510kamikazifreak

i looked at the pic before reading and thought it was kiznooks car

It does look like kiznooks car :lol:

Also looks like one I had back in 96 ( was my daily for a couple years then)

img033.jpgScan of 4x6 print :o :lol:

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Sweet! I am feeling you man with just picking up a daily dime too! I keep looking out the front window to see if it is still in my driveway!

You have a sweet find.

Its exciting isnt fisch :cool:

I just read your thread, I remember you saying you wanted it, but didnt think you would get it, Well you got it :thumbup:

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Nice find, nice green too. My 2dr was that color before I got my hands on spray cans.

Thanks

I like the color(maybe one day it will get a respray :unsure: )

But for now seal it up etc, keep the nasties away from it..

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Lou I saw this post earlier but didn't notice the poster. Way-to-go dude! They are out there. Both my 710 fell in my lap so to speak. Killer start for a project or better than average DD for sure. Interior shots.What year? Anything special done to it?

Thanks Mike,

Yep they are out there( few but still around :cool: )

I had another one lined up but the guy was being a flake,and I gave up on it.

It will be a driver for now(nothing too much, just a to b)I dont drive alot anymore, so is ok, The wife has her 200sx daily too :cool:

It was time to drive a 510 all the time again, been a while..

Nothing to special(other than pertronic,wheels) But thats the way I wanted one, no bs to repair ;)

The guy I bought it off had the same thing in mind( I think he just stored it for us for 5 years :lol:, they never drove it too far :lol: ) I do know the car and where it came from originally..,

Keep it simple,and it will run forever :D

Clean it up a bit, seal it up and away we go :cool:

Thanks

I like the color(maybe one day it will get a respray :unsure: )

But for now seal it up etc, keep the nasties away from it..

Yeah I actually liked the color, just the body was so mismatched and rusting that I had to spray over it. If the body/paint was in better condition I would have left it.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Neat Story 510freak ,,, :cool: ,,, glad it worked out for ya man ! Me rikey it a rot ! :lol: ,,, "Spot" good nick name man ;) ,,, nice features for it to ! Pertronix and libres , sure looks good man !!! congrats for sure ! :cool:

Thanks DTP, It is sitting nice and dry right now :blink:

Dont want the fools around here and their driving habit( shitty drivers in the snow)wrecking it..

The wheels and dizzy conversion are a definate plus :cool:

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Yeah I actually liked the color, just the body was so mismatched and rusting that I had to spray over it. If the body/paint was in better condition I would have left it.

I know what you mean, I am really pondering a cheapo respray :unsure:

Make it a bit prettier :lol:

if you hadn't done that, he would not of sold it to anyone. :thumbup:

keep it green!