Another set of 620 pictures

1lo620

Ok I have been bug by Redeye for sometime now to post pictures that I had of some 620s. Well I got them into my Photobucket account finally so I will post them. Most of these truck are from the mid 80s th early 90s. I have been showing trucks since 1984. I have been to countless shows, and taken 1000s of pictures. But about 6 yrs ago I had a flood from an exploding hot water heater and I lost lots of photo albums and magazines, with tons of pics . But I have some..so enjoy

Untitled-47.jpg

Untitled-45.jpg

Untitled-42.jpg

Varmint8-1.jpg

Untitled-43.jpg

Untitled-49.jpg

Untitled-44.jpg

Untitled-38.jpg

Untitled-36.jpg

Untitled-28.jpg

Untitled-25.jpg

Untitled-15.jpg

Untitled-14.jpg

Untitled-13.jpg

Untitled-12.jpg

Untitled-11.jpg

Untitled-10.jpg

Untitled-9.jpg

Untitled-8.jpg

Untitled-7.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave,

Man, I thought I had seen all magazine photos. You found some that I've never seen. What Japanese magazine is that tan "lowrider" 620 from? And, Do You have any photos of the chopped cab that I bought from David (which is now Choptana)?? Do You know just who chopped it and when? Thanks, Mike

Hi Dave,

Man, I thought I had seen all magazine photos. You found some that I've never seen. What Japanese magazine is that tan "lowrider" 620 from? And, Do You have any photos of the chopped cab that I bought from David (which is now Choptana)?? Do You know just who chopped it and when? Thanks, Mike

It actually came out of the Japenese Lowrider magazine. I pick them up at a world market in Seattle from time to time. I just happen to grab this one day and boom it had a 620 in it. I know that they get alot of american cars and trucks imported. And you see them all the time in these magazines.

And as far as your (daves) choptana all I know is that a man approched him at a gas station while he was driving his other chop top. Told Dave that he had one that was a project and wasnt interested in it anymore. So Dave bouhgt it. When I was looking at it to by it was buried under crap and the bed was full and it was a bit moe of a project than I wanted to deal with and he wanted a bit to much $$$$ for it. I dont know waht you got it for but you did it justice. I cant wait to see it up and going...Just curious what did you do with the bed??? The Black chop top with the flames is running around washington somewhere, the guy that built it saw it about 2 years ago while at a car show. And Daves 1st chop top the red one is till around Vancouver Wa. somewhere....I knew of another chop top that was sitting in this guy driveway for years untouched. but he wouldnt let it go. Then he moved havent seen it since. It is a crime that people let these trucks got to junk. It makes me cry at times...

If anyone knows where to buy either of those Red Trucks, let me know, and I will head to the bank and get the loan.

If you are talking about the last two red ones they are long gone. The one in the parking lot of apartment was a friend of mines, smooth truck, real clean convert top, nice interior. He sold it and the last time I saw it years ago, it hadbeen in an accident and it look like crap. The other truck was a local truck around Seattle and it was nice lots of stuff done to it. ANd as alot af cars it just faded away, god only know what happen to it.

Sorry, guess I was talking about the 6th one. I forgot the first two photo's didn't make it past the red X stage in life.

The friend I sold my first vehicle to (a 520) has his 520 chopped. Ratrod style. If anyone wants I can see about getting some pictures up.

Jester

Hi Dave,

I only bought the cab from David. $300.00 was what I paid and I also purchased the duallys rims and fenders. David set it all up as Ted sent down the rims and fenders that He had. A true find!!! The dually project would never been conceived if not for them! David and His Dad brought all of those items to a friend of Mine's Dad who has a summer home in Oregon. My friend's Dad then delivered them locally. David had said at the time that He was going to place a standard cab on that truck. I believe He was going to keep the "bubble" flares that were molded in on that truck, just making it a stock height cab again. When the sunroof was removed, there was a LOT of rust that had accumulated as moisture traveled through cracks in the bondo. That cab was rougher than I expected but I was determined to build a chopped truck. My welder friend, Rich, and I had tried to chop another cab but couldn't get it lined up just right. We were close, but ran into problems. That's when David suggested "why don't You just buy My cab?" which ended up being a good idea. I really, really wish I knew exactly who chopped it. Would anyone else up there know? Would the person that had it when You first saw it know? As You know, I am an "anteater" for history and wish I had that information. Anyway, the floors were rusted out and others popriveted into place before paint. That was a CHORE in 100+ heat!!! I never did like the idea that was done with other window channels welded in to keep the stock windows but I have a plan to make that area look alright. I believe that it was a later cab as the core support tapers out for a fan clutch and it didn't see evidence of side vent holes. The cab was just what I had always wanted as the roof was shortened like it came from the factory chopped, unlike chops where the windshield is layed back. That's about all I know.

I wouldnt even really know where to start to look for the builder. One fo the big problems is that it came from down by Daves and not in Seattle. I new most of the Datsun custom builders in the 80s, in the Seattle area. There was a shop in Kirkland that was doing alot of custom mini trucks in the early 80s, a few chopped Luvs and Datsuns. I bought the owners Chevy Luv Chop top in 84. Drove it for a few years, got tired of the chop top sold it. But the funny thing is it was for sale just outside Portland last year from the guy I sold it to. He had done some work to it , different paint but all the same V6 and all, different rims also. And it got sold to a guy in Texas and it is actually for sale again as we speek. I would love to get it back, but that is a hell of a drive to buy a truck. I just wish I could be as much help to you as you have been for me....I wonder what is up with Dave he just kind of faded away from the Datsun seen a bit....do you ever talk with him...?

There is an ad on craigslist(portland) that is someone looking for the black choptop w/flames that is pictured above. Is it anybody from this forum? He says that a friend of his built the truck and he looking to purchase it and beleives it to be in the vancouver area.

Thought that it might be a way for mike to get into contact with the owner..

Jason

It is just me...We got talking chop top Datsuns the other day and My friend Jon whos truck it is mentioned that last time he saw his truck it was in vancouver Wa. So i was just poking around to see what came of it...He also said it was pretty beat....

• 2 years later...

... I bought from David (which is now Choptana)?? Do You know just who chopped it and when? Thanks, Mike

I believe the truck was originally from Laguna Beach CA. I bought the truck from Christopher R. Hess of LaCenter WA formerly of Vancouver, WA. He chopped the truck himself as far as I know. He chopped the truck and had it ready for paint but then went into the military so it sat. This was during the late 80's I think. He came out with a family and more important priorities so the truck sat longer. The Truck was never for sale as stated. Someone approached me at a gas station when I was driving the red choptop. He Said his old high school friend had one years ago and wondered if it was the same truck. This was in 1998. So don't think that truck has ever seen the road in chopped form ... until you got it. I do still have the bed and front fenders with bre flares.

What up Long time no hear, everyone thought you fell off the earth...So are you ready to sell me that bed and fenders....I would love to put them on my 620 I loved that bed...Are you still driving around in the 521 and/or the 510 I also loved your white 510

wow,such memories, the first picture of the blue 620, once belonged to a good friend of mine, lance from l.a., the weekend before those pictures were shot for mini truckin my other orange 620 was hit by a drunk driver, i was supposed to be in the photo shoot with lance and the blue 620, most of the mods done to the truck were done at his tint shop/custom shop in the anahiem area, we were together the week before at his shop when he called the editor of mini truckin at that time and told him he had a friend who had a 620 that was magazine worthy, and he said ok and came over to ck it out, long story short my truck and my self didn't make the next weekends photo shoot, thanks to a drunk driver running a red light in san diego on the friday after noon the day before the photo shoot...the red truck futher down that has the grill covering the lights was at a show i went to in northern cali one time, nice truck and nice mods...really have thought about doin a full face datto grill, but they are so scarce now, i wouldn't want to waste a couple nice grills...tom...thx dave for the flash backs :cool:

I heard that the Blue 620 Xcab got totalled not to long after it was featured. But that is just what I heard.. I was a cool multi issue build up, nice and simple yet tons of mods. As for that red one with the grill mod, he actually still owns it, It is chopped now and sitting in the corner of his shop since 98, 99. And he will not sell it, asked him several times....He is convinced that he is going to do something with it one day, and he may one day.