Deboxing a 510

Everat

Hello, Ive been on the forums for a while but have never done a build thread before so it might be a little lame.

I bought this 72 510 this spring from a local guy who had it for sale for a really long time. I didnt like the box flairs but I low balled and got the car for a decent price. Im turning it back to stock body minus vents, moldings and side markers. I think im gonna change the shaved doors back to stock. Also getting rid of hood pins and scoop. As I write this Im already knee deep in the project. I have tore off the flairs, got stock fenders and shaved the side markers. Shaved the vents, changed the steering wheel and put some 16s on it.Im just finishing up the front suspension, t3 stuff-strut bar,rca's, coilover kit, camber plates, control rods. Im gonna eventually change out the front brakes for ermish's wilwood setup.

048.jpg

050.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo21.jpg

photo31.jpg

photo4.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Frank and Icehouse did the motorswap .......... so you should be good to go

I would think some BRE flares would look good,,, ,, or even ZG flares,,, and you can keep your front fenders ........ overall it's a really nice car,,,,, and I wanted to buy it,,, (but I would have hacked off those flares sooner.... :lol: )

Here is your 510's build thread from Jan. 2008:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/2556-box-flared-510-sr-install/

^^ motor-swap

Yeah the guy I bought the car from said frank built it, he lives pretty close to me, I called him once to ask about parts but he never called me back. All I really need now though is quarters. Its been a fiasco with the quarters. i bought some pieces that were basically just the wheel arch and well, but when I tore into the car I found that I pretty much need whole quarters. I bought 1 side from alfa parts but it really sucks, the entire wheel arch and lip is wrong. So now im gonna use the first pieces I bought and just patch in the rest.

more pics please....

Ill take some current pics probably tomorrow, its not really much to look at right now though, I cut out most of the drivers side quarter. Im not much of a picture taker but I only follow pic heavy builds so Ill try to oblige

yeah I should have known better, I had read a bunch of bad reviews on their smaller patch pieces but i thought Id try thinking the whole piece would be fine. The arch on them is shallower so If I line everything up then the arch would be about an inch lower which creates a problem when you want to tie it in to the wheel well, it also means you have to use both sides because you would have another inch of tuck on the aftermarket piece side. On top of that the front rocker pinch weld in about a half inch off so you would have to remove it on the alfa piece. The sharpness of the angles on the rocker and the thickness of the wheel arch lip are also problems. Basically more work than its worth.

. . . All I really need now though is quarters. Its been a fiasco with the quarters. i bought some pieces that were basically just the wheel arch and well, but when I tore into the car I found that I pretty much need whole quarters. . .

I'm in the same boat. I bought a 510 race car that had box flares and now I want to switch it to BRE flares. Here's what I'm up against.

Vintage510RaceCarProject027.jpg

Vintage510RaceCarProject030.jpg

Do you have any pics of yours?

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up front suspension this last week, I had been waiting on some springs, I ended up going with 7" springs so the adjusting collar wasnt anywhere near my rim. I found out that my strut bar dont fit either, not sure what im gonna do with that but Im thinking ill keep the brackets and make my own bar that bends towards the firewall a little.

510p.jpg

stance.jpg

I will have some pics of the drivers side quarter soon, i have a piece ready to go on but ive tried getting the piece into position on my own and its tough, Im over lapping the wheel wells and that makes the piece want to be too low so I have to pull up as im gonna tach it. I dont have any clamps that seem to work very well for this. Kinda frustrating but with another set of hands it should be gravy. I have a buddy coming over tomorrow so it might be done then.

Oh by the way, if anyone wants my old wheels or front flaired fenders then send me a pm. I have the wheels just sitting in my driveway and it started snowing today so if i dont get rid of them soon they will probably go all rusty.