Deboxing a 510

Everat

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking Good! Cant wait to see you cruzin around town :) Are you going to paint inside during winter or wait till it warms & dries up some? I need to fix my left rear quarter panel myself but I don't want to get into it until it dries out some.

I have a buddy that works in a two man body shop in arlington, most likley Ill paint it in their booth, theres a good chance it wont be painted till the end of winter though, my end goal for the car is to be done by golden gardens (exterior atleast)

Yeah its an SR20DE S14 motor, It runs real nice but doesnt really have enough power for me, the long term plan is to turbo it or just drop in a sr20det

Yeah.. I hear ya on the power issue! I ended up doing a turbo on my S13 SR20DE. It did not hold up long enough but was well worth a taste of decent power at the wheels.

Rebuilding SR20DE

I got a bunch of work done today on it but nothing worthy of a picture. Theres a lot to tie in on the quarter and I finished the welding of the main piece. I also fitted and prepped my patch pieces and worked on the inner part of the rocker which isnt very pretty but Ive done a bunch of patch welds, rust morted it and Im gonna por15 them tomorrow. I also por15'ed the inside of the patch pieces and pulled off my intake manifold for polishing. Im going to my buddy James's bodyshop tomorrow in the a.m. to polish it. Im hoping I can get it done in an 8 hour shift but James is skeptical. I figure since the turbo is a long way off that Ill clean up the engine compartment, after I polish the mani Im gonna paint the valve cover black with yellow writing.

^^X3

What's your method for polishing the manifold, hand sanding, or using some kind of sanding device?

Also, super good call on getting rid of the half-way up box flares. I gotta say though, I usually don't like box flares, but the full boxes, when the car is a race car, and fuckin on the ground, they can look pretty cool (aka this car: http://www.pdm-racin...imag/510-59.jpg)

Can't wait to see it finished (and given that you're in Everett, I may actually see it in person someday).

Most of it was done with a pneumatic angle grinder with a 3" disc attachment. I started with a red scotchbrite disc then 120,180,220,280,320,400w,600w,1000w.A lot of the crevices are just hand sanding. For the polishing my buddy James has a bunch of small polishing wheels for the tight spots. Its not for the faint of heart. I have about 16 hours into it and it need probably another 4 hours. Most of the time was because the casting was so rough. James just polished his Naps 2.0 valve cover and I think he has 10 hours into it.