Deboxing a 510

Everat

Got busy yesterday and todays cold as hell, I dont have a heater in the garage so Im working for a half hour then coming in to get warm and repeating. I cant weld it in yet cause Im prepping the inside of the rocker (yesterday with the rust-mort and today with the por-15)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welded the rocker in today. I might do another patch right in front of this one due to a dent I hadnt noticed before so I didnt weld the front. I gotta clean up the pinch weld a little more but I couldnt take the cold any longer.

DSC00409.jpg

Heres what I did today, it took a lot of work to get it this close. I have to have another person to help hold it in the exact spot so I can draw my final trim marks. If I can get someone to come over then I might be welding tonight.

DSC00416.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thought Id do an update today, Its been a while. Ive been working on it here and there but havent been super motivated.Ive finished up almost all the metal work, all that is left is final welding on rear valence. I stripped both my rear wheel wells down to bare metal, por15'd them and undercoated. I found some holes when I stripped it and had to do some repairs, I took some pics of one of them. Putting the valence on was a bitch, the guys that messed with the car previously had shaved the rear pinch weld and done a pretty crappy job of it,pretty wavy. I welded and strip of 18 gauge along the bottom and straight edged it then screwed the valence to the strip.

2011-03-27172139.jpg

2011-03-27172132.jpg

2011-03-20132235.jpg

2011-03-20133429.jpg

2011-03-20151047.jpg

2011-03-22120436.jpg

2011-03-22122755.jpg

Yeah the passenger side quarter was pretty hard, the piece I had wasnt really enough metal for what I needed, I would have liked to replace the whole quarter but didnt have one. Putting the piece on didnt take long but making it nice took a while.Ive learned a lot from doing these quarters, these turned out decent but if I do this again on another car it will turn out a lot better.I smoothed out the drivers side also and it looks ten times better, Ill have to take some pics of it. The fiberglass piece would have worked but I got the metal one for free and because I had to fab the pinch weld I thought it would be easier to go all metal.

Its funny you mention that, I bought a propane top two grill heater about a month ago and it has made a big difference, instead of being in the garage for 1/2 hr to an hour, im out there for four hours at a time.

Part of the reason for slow progress is I went back to work for a couple of weeks and I bought a 220v 60gallon compressor and had to wire up the 220 for it, I also bought a hose reel and mounted that up so now I have a legit setup. This week Ill be working on the subaru cause Im getting ready to sell it and got to make it pretty, and probably gonna paint the wheels

Spent a lot of time today smoothing out my welds on the valence. It doesnt seem like much but smoothing out where I had drilled out the spot welds take FOR-EVER. I was gonna take a picture but its just a pinch weld so not too exciting. I have buddys coming over tomorrow to start bondoing the car up so I will be spending a lot of time tonight getting the rest of the little stuff buttoned up.

James came over the other day and we started lining everything up, I was gonna roll the shaved doors for a while but upon closer inspection it looks like they are gonna need a bit of work. I was planning on putting door handles back on evenually so Im not gonna waste my time on these doors. James has a passenger door for me so I just need a clean drivers side door. Does anyone out there in the everett/seattle area have a door they want to sell me? I am thinking I might get a different passenger fender also if I can find a really clean one.

2011-04-01151734.jpg