Sealiks Shit

Sealik

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well not less than that, but ya gits what ya gits. If exposed like a slab of baloney in a sandwich, it will get hotter than the head and block and erode. Shit, now I'm hungry. Mrs. d!!! will you Make Me A Sammich?????

Used a Felpro HG about 4 years on a Z24.....still holding :unsure:

Sure as shit.....it's gonna 'calve' tomorrow..... :lol: :lol: ....'Carma'... :)

mmmmmmm.....slab of 'beef' in Sammich.

2eDeYe' date='15 December 2010 - 06:40 PM' timestamp='1292467242' post='392800']

Nice shots of your tensioner block in action. :cool:

Thanks....I've noticed that a longer wedge can be of issue if they are driven in, and or, incorrectly.

Better when they are below the cam sprocket....more flush with the head

My Haynes 80-83 200sx manual says to..."Coat the threads of the cylinder head bolts and the point at which the head and stem meet with a sealing compound and install finger tight........."

Any one know the reason for the compound?

I read it as just the top few threads at the top of the block at the gasket. Don't know why. This was the first Z motor. The FSM for the Z24 does not say to do this.

It does say to tighten in sequence to 22 then 58 ft lbs. Loosen all bolts and start again to 22 and then to 58-61 ft lbs OR turn bolts 90 degrees tighter from the 22 ft lb setting to properly stretch the bolts. Myself, I would go in sequence 20, 40 and then 60... done. Check when cold in a few days.

Was a little apprehensive on changing a head gasket when it's slightly above -10C outside.

Had to do a little 'pre-heating'.... :D .....but the Felpro HG is holding :thumbup:

I'll re-torque the head in the morn at 63lb

It sucked.

Still waiting on a fuel line tee and pressure gauge.

Also have 28 NGK spark plugs on route.....good deal....about $1.61 a pop, delivered. (Ebay)

Good for 3 Z24s and 1 LZ23.... :)

No idea on the Z20 sealer. Looks like the top threads at the deck/gasket interface to me and not over all the threads. The FSM for the Z24 does not say to do this. It does say to tighten insequence tp 22 and then 59 ft lbs, loosen all completely, tighten in sequence to 22 and then 58-61 ft lbs. OR once at the 22 ft lb setting, turn the bolts in sequence 90 degrees tighter to properly stretch them. Myself I tighten in sequence 20, 40 and a final 60 ft lbs. Check a few days later.

I have the 83 FSM....just states ......"tighten cylinder head bolts to the specified torque in several steps and in the sequence shown above...."

Anywho.....the 83 FSM only has specs on the Z20, Z24 and SD25.... and I need to check the oil clearances on the Z22 today, before I take it apart.

I'm gonna assume the specs are the same as the Z24....other than the bore of course ;)

Mmmmmmmm...gotta like getting shit delivered :D

spark.jpg

Noticed about half the plugs were made in Japan......must be NOS

Others were made in the States.

Did some 'research' on cams.....for my LZ23

Comp cams have one with a 268 duration.....420 lift

http://www.compcams....?csid=1146&sb=0

Isky makes 3 stages...other than full race.

Stage 1.....270 duration.....475 lift

Cost is around $320 with shipping to Canada, which includes springs, retainers and lash pads. No idea on duty fees.

http://iskycams.com/cart/ymm.php?page=100&keyword=Part+

Shadbolt...out of Vancouver B.C.

....#449....256 duration......492 lift

....#445....280 duration......507 lift....with 60 degrees overlap

http://www.shadboltcams.com/

Colt Cams of B.C......seems to make a higher lift of cam.

I 'concluded' that overlap is the combined intake (opening) and exhaust (closing).... :blink: ....in degrees

Hmmmm.....moar 'research'.....and of course....input :)

Oh ....and thanks.... Jason..... for some of these specs you previously posted

U-67 cam duration is 248 degrees with an open valve lift of 0.413" and overlap 30 degrees but this doesn't tell the whole story. The opening and closing points before or after TDC and BDC are very important as well.

Here's an interesting calculator for inlet air speed for deturmining a choke point in the flow.. http://www.wallacera...om/machcalc.php

The 2.3 motor is drawing 10% more air in past the L20B valves. It reaches the .6 speed of sound at just under 6K with a stock valve lift.

U-67 cam duration is 248 degrees with an open valve lift of 0.413" and overlap 30 degrees but this doesn't tell the whole story. The opening and closing points before or after TDC and BDC are very important as well.

Ya.....that's what I don't fully understand......yet :blink:

Alrighty then ......

You have an LZ23 in your 620....Z24 pistons...U67 with a little porting/new spings/stock valve size......32/36 Weber (for now, till the Mrs gives the go ahead...lol))

Runs on reg gas, good for the Mrs to also drive daily....with some good snap to it though.:),.... sometimes off road and on the highway.....being a heavy 4x4 and all.

Thoughts on your cam selection? ;)

Hypothetically speaking of course..... :)

I'm thinking a regrind from Shadbolt.

Edited by Sealik

...#449....256 duration......492 lift

This duration should keep the power curve in the same location and just add to it.

Yes.

I emailed Shadbolt to get a price on the regrinds.

Will ship 2 cams down to Vancouver....Merlin is also going to build a LZ23

NPR Z24 pistons and rings shall be on route tomorrow.

Got a Christmas gift today.....I think other members should jump on the same festive 'bandwagon' and donate to my LZ Christmas Fund.......... :lol:

Header.jpg

....Thanks Merlin

Also noticed a fuel injected LZ goon today........mmmmmmmm......wondering if that owner would like to sell..???..give it a good home :) :)

Just need the intake....plenum....etc....of course ;)