Sealiks Shit

Sealik

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So grab the dizzy, IM and EM of the 510?

It's manufactured in 8/77 I believe

Check the build date. If a '78 model year it will have the 'remote igniter' EI. It works the same as the matchbox EI but the 'matchbox' isn't miniaturized and is about the size of a paperback book and is mounted under the dash, likely near the glove box. If you get it, and I think if cheap, you should, try to find the remote igniter box under the dash with the plug and some wire so it can be spliced. Failing that an HEI module from a GM distributor can be used. If you are going to run an L head you will need an L dizzy for it and you sure don't want points.

You got your Z20E EFI from Merlin? That dizzy should also fit and work on an L series too. It is the newer matchbox type if he still has all the parts..

Check the build date. If a '78 model year it will have the 'remote igniter' EI. It works the same as the matchbox EI but the 'matchbox' isn't miniaturized and is about the size of a paperback book and is mounted under the dash, likely near the glove box. If you get it, and I think if cheap, you should, try to find the remote igniter box under the dash with the plug and some wire so it can be spliced. Failing that an HEI module from a GM distributor can be used. If you are going to run an L head you will need an L dizzy for it and you sure don't want points.

You got your Z20E EFI from Merlin? That dizzy should also fit and work on an L series too. It is the newer matchbox type if he still has all the parts..

Good to know....and yes I got the EFI from Merlin.

I'll ask him about it.

I 'realize' one has to use the L20B TC to match the L20B head.

So I'm assuming that is why all the L20B TC assembly and dizzy is needed? Haven't compared but I'm guessing the L20B dizzy has a shorter throat on it. This is hypothetical....but couldn't one cut the top of the L20B TC and 'weld' it to the Z22 TC....obviously the Z22 TC would have the same amount of metal removed to fasten the top of the L20B to it. This in turn would allow the Z22 TC components including the Z dizzy???? I believe there are 4 plug caps to replace the 8 plug....if not, just use only 4 of the 8 terminals?

I'm most likely missing something and probably wrong... :blink: ..but just thinking 'out loud' :)

...."I think the master will clear but not the L air filter. They did it somehow on the '80"....

I was wondering if there was any to get the LZ up a little bit to clear without utilizing the L20B mounts..?..because then I'll be hunting for a different bell housing.

I know you can put a drivers side Z22 mount on the Z24 to raise it up a bit....without to much issue(?) to the drive train.

Dragged the Z22 from the back 40 on a 720 door, knew that had a purpose :lol:

dr.jpg

Got it inside and mounted to a engine stand.

Hmmmmmm....I now see some of the 'issues' I was talking about earlier....

Had to remove the PCV tube from the block to fit the head.

fu1.jpg

dr5.jpg

fu.jpg

fu2.jpg

The hunt for W-58 has been cancelled till spring....crap....looks like a foot of fresh snow outside :o

If I did use those L20B mounts, I'm wondering if there will be any issues with my oil pan clearing the front diff.

Doug, you are so in luck!! I have an L20B 4X4 oil pan for an '80 720... it's got your name on it. :lol:

As for the L bell there are two 620 in that yars if they are 4 or 5 speed you're good to go. Either will work on the 720 tranny.

Also as far as L and Z timing gear only the chain is different length. sprockets, oil slinger, guides should be the same.

Doug, you are so in luck!! I have an L20B 4X4 oil pan for an '80 720... it's got your name on it. :lol:

As for the L bell there are two 620 in that yars if they are 4 or 5 speed you're good to go. Either will work on the 720 tranny.

Also as far as L and Z timing gear only the chain is different length. sprockets, oil slinger, guides should be the same.

Excellent.....thanks for the offer......hold on to it :)

Now it makes sense why the L20 B fit the 80 4x4......sort of..... :blink: :lol:

But is the 80 diff situated the same as the 85?

81 and 82 are different than my 83-85s.

Found that out when I dropped a Z22 in the 84......no fit...had to the replace the pan with the 83-85.

Here's a pic with the L20B chain on the Z22....very tight....with no head gasket.

fu3.jpg

Definitely wouldn't need a tensioner..... :lol: .....barely fit.

The L20B guides are slightly different..????...which is why I guess the chain is so tight????

Have a better look at it tomorrow

If one could just seal the front end of the head to utilize the Z22 TC??????

On another note....just took the EFI truck out.......fuck......started to ping and or tick under any load.

Didn't overheat

It's chugging.....missing...vacuum is about 15 lbs....vacuum gauge needle is vibrating.

Did make it home though....... I'm thinking valve

Crap

is that the Vavenby junkyard? Cool!

Crazy snow today.. i drove my Patrol body to Vernon for mediablasting and found a totally rotten NL320 on the way... never seen one in BC before! going back with a trailer in a week to see if i can get it for parts...

is that the Vavenby junkyard? Cool!

Crazy snow today.. i drove my Patrol body to Vernon for mediablasting and found a totally rotten NL320 on the way... never seen one in BC before! going back with a trailer in a week to see if i can get it for parts...

Negative....I'm not tellin'..... :rolleyes: :)

Here are the guides....Z22 on left....L20B on right

The longer L20B guide is 'channeled'.....has 90 degree edges on it, guess for the longer run to the cam sprocket

Z22L20Btensioners.jpg

On another note....went to install to a universal for the front driveshaft.....bought it about a month ago.

Wrong size....it's for the main or propeller....not the front, which are about an inch smaller.

Take it back.....nope.....apparently I have been sniffing glue and or someone has changed all my front driveshafts. :lol:

....."Ford and Chevy also have models that increased the universal size...."

Book is right.....and I am wrong. :huh: ......

Pulled number 4 plug out on the EFI truck.....smells like gas....also had alot of 'steam' coming out of it.

Assuming the heat of the head was just burning off the un-burnt fuel?

Guess I'll be pulling the head. :( .....winter and all....crap

'Carma'......every time I contemplate upgrading 1 truck....another calves :D

There are two different diameters and lengths of tranny to trans case d/s. Is that the one you mean?

Negative.....I'm talking about the 1 between the front diff and transfer case. Their 'book' states that larger universal (they gave me) fits/replaces all 6 universals in the 4x4 720 from 83-85. :blink:

That universal would fit the trannie to transfer.....or the transfer to rearend, not the ds feeding the front end, being that it's much smaller.

Whipped up a wedge for the head pull..tested it here first.. only 5.5 inches long. Pound it in and clears the bottom of the cam sprocket. level with the block

en.jpg

Wasn't a valve as suspected.....head gasket.....much cheaper fix.

Blown between 3 and 4

en1.jpg

Noticed there is also anomaly on the head gasket between 1 and 2

en4.jpg

en5.jpg

Cleaned the block and head up.... gingerly with a razor and then sprayed some brake cleaner on a rag and wiped down

en3.jpg

Torque the heads bolts to 30-40 than 65?

When I pulled the fuel line from the rail.....no pressure????? Dribbled out.

Injectors or fuel pressure regulator......hmmmm....did have issues with running lean.

Moar research............

Check the new gasket. The fire rings should be substantial. Make sure they don't give you a

one-size-fit's-all gasket to cover Z20/22/24. I've heard this happens and on a Z24 the metal fire rings are too exposed and erode away and blow.

Check the new gasket. The fire rings should be substantial. Make sure they don't give you a

one-size-fit's-all gasket to cover Z20/22/24. I've heard this happens and on a Z24 the metal fire rings are too exposed and erode away and blow.

Pretty sure it's gonna be a Felpro.