New to Datsun, Not New to Modifying

vividracing

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked how my 4 door handled my set up was T3 coil overs with 225# springs # T3 camber plates with bearing upper hat

* Shortened (40mm) '79 280zx struts with SW20 (MR2) inserts

t3 adjustable tc rods.

porter field r4s pads

qa1 single adjustable coil overs with 225 pound springs. no rear sway bar. with a subaru r160 lsd you could slide that car in the rain for days lol

P1020740.jpg

that car was a piece of poo but it was my piece of poo i miss it !

I need some new shocks and then going to put the suspension techniques or ground control springs on.

Bought a bre style front lip today :)

i like the ride of springs over coils anyday, i just did a set of st springs with shortend front struts and its damn near perfect and rides great, i think you will be happy....ill post pics here if you want me too...i dont just want to post pics of my car on your thread...anyway nice rides and i cant wait for you to tear in

• 3 weeks later...

Just posted my first Project 510 article with some new pics. Got the suspension handled - http://www.vividracing.com/blog/project-cars/project-car-datsun-510/new-project-car-turd-to-bird-my-510-story/

As far as Google Search, yes go ahead. Look at the dates of some of those posts too. The other part is that we are a company that has been successful, has our own 15,000 sqft building, sells over $10M a year in performance parts, and has alot of satisfied customers too. If we were so bad, we would not be here. I am not here to sell, I am here to show off my Datsun.

• 3 weeks later...

So where we left off is that we bought this car for $1800, had a budget of around $2000, and were going to make it look cool and drive well. So we have arrived at this point. Through ebay user REALCARBONFIBER1, we have equipped the car with a new BRE style front air damn, 4dr fender flares, and a new front valance. Once these parts were installed, we had a uber cheap respray of the car done in orange. It was suppose to be FLAT but did not turn out that way. All of the trim pieces we removed and sprayed flat black. Since we now had the wider fenders, we needed some wider wheels. We picked up a set of these Konig Rewinds in 14×7 with a -9mm offset. They came only in silver with a polished lip so we sprayed those as well. These wheels got wrapped with some Toyo R888 tires we had here at the shop. Now she has a stance!

Our next objective was to start on the interior parts. We ordered up a new “Dash Cap” for $95 which turned the old dash into a brand new looking one. Once again, thanks Ebay. We also picked up a new black headliner kit which is on the way. While we wait for that, we pulled out the seats and are having them done in a black suede center with black vinyl outters. This should give the inside a fresh look. Will probably add a MP3 player and a new steering wheel as well. Pics to come later.

While we wait for the interior to come back, we have gone and rewired and tested all the lights and added a HID kit. Most the lighting was not working. Under the hood we custom made an aluminum batter tray and radiator overflow tank. We picked up a used Weber downdraft carb off of Craigslist to get the car sounding cool. Eventually we will change out the header and exhaust and do up the engine bay pieces to a show finish.

That is all we have for now, so stay tuned for more updates on our Datsun 510 Project Car Blog Here - http://www.vividracing.com/blog/category/project-cars/project-car-datsun-510/

img_1774_1.jpg

img_1829_1.jpg

img_1830_1.jpg

img_1850.jpg

img_1847.jpg

img_1848.jpg

img_1849.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty pumped on this little guy. We definitely overshot the budget but it was needed stuff to make it look and run good. We have spent about $3500 total on our $1800 car and it makes a big difference. We redid the entire interior. From eBay we ordered a headliner kit in black. This was not that bad of an install but a huge improvement to the car. We then picked up some automotive grade black carpet from a local vendor and redid the entire inside floor. The front and rear seats were done by Fleet Seats here in Chandler with suede centers and black vinyl outers. We do however have a brand new set of Cipher Auto racing seats that will go in later so stay tuned for that update (half cage and harness?). We ditched the wood steering wheel and threw in a Sparco wheel with KSport quick release. With the interior all freshend up, we only have left to add a simple stereo and speakers.

The engine was our next tasks. Everyone keeps asking "what motor"? If we wanted to go really fast, we have other Project Cars to have fun with. This is a throwback so we kept it OG with the 1.8L carbureted motor. First thing we had to do is tune up the engine. Our resident old motor tech made adjustments to the valves, changed the plugs and wires, and then tuned the new Weber Downdraft Carb so the car was running smooth. We had our fab shop make a custom aluminum battery tray and oil catch tank overflow. We then sent these parts and the valve cover to be powder coated in Super Silver, aka Chrome. With all the wiring neatly tucked, we added in a 4800K HID light kit. Our last engine dress up piece is this super beefy front strut bar by WellBiltKustoms.com. The full stainless steel triangle bar fits nicely attaching to the 2 strut towers and firewall.

We will be doing some final touch ups to the interior, setting the ride height, and aligning the car next. It may even become a different color! So stay tuned to our Project 510 Story Here. You can view all our mod update images on our Gallery Here.

datsun-enginebay1.jpg

datsun-enginebay.jpg

datsun-catchcan.jpg

datsun-interior-seats.jpg

datsun-interior-steering.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Love that flat orange and flares on a 4-door. And I agree, it's nice to see something a little bit different. Digging the satin black bumpers too!

From reading your thread, I understand that budget is of the essence, but if you were going through the process of a repaint, why didn't you didn't want to massage the body a bit more? Or is this a transitional stage with more elaborate plans for the future? Or drive as is, run the snot out of it and have a fun car to kick around. All are fine with me, but I just wanted to ask since it seems that you have quite a capable shop at your full disposal to throw together an awesome 510. :)

My budget for paint and body was $500. It is definitely an improvement over when I first got the car. Yeah they could have gone over it a little more, but I was not looking for a Show Paint and Show Body finish. Just wanted the car to be touched up if you will. I plan on doing a couple autox or track days then sell it probably by Feb.

There is no color code on the BMW, it is Oracal Vinyl wrap.