New to Datsun, Not New to Modifying

vividracing

hello :) my name is Dan here in Arizona and I wanted to share my project I am starting. I picked up this 72 510 4dr on the cheap and wanted to do a "Throw Back" project. The car is in 75% good condition with almost no rust except a small part in the trunk. It needs some interior love, new suspension, some body love too. I am not going to go bananas, as their are plenty to buy that are done, but I wanted to get a car, put $2K at it, and see what I can accomplish. I will get better pics and update this thread with the progress. But here is a quickie...

img_1621_1.png

Right now we are fixing all the dents, sanding the small rust, and then going to add a wheel arch kit and BRE front air damn. So we dont have to paint the engine bay, truck, etc, going to do a FLAT Orange of the stock car with all FLAT Black trim. Once that is done, we are fixing up the interior, suede headliner, door panels, fix the tears and cracks. Dashboard needs replacement, tuck all the wires, clean up the pedals, knobs, shifter. I have a Sparco Torino seat here so going to drop that in and recover the seats in black as well. 1.8L engine is strong but trans is so so. Going to clean up the engine bay a bit and decide what to do on the trans. If I was going to swap, I want something like a 350 Small Black V6. Car needs new front struts, ball joints, bushings. Has a small oil leak too. Just minor things to fix. Going to add a set of Suspension Techniques lower springs. Probably going to sell off these wheels and do something more deep lip and aggressive offset.

I look forward to your thoughts, opinions, recommendations. Here are my other rides right now :)

5035732640_444b7e5fcb_b.jpg

4994673553_76d3545d51_b.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there is something to gain with replacing the exhaust, but i wouldnt go any bigger then 2.25 and thats on a 2 liter. 2 inch should be fine for a l18. if it doesnt already have it swap a weber 32/36 on it instead of the hitachi junk downdraft. that teamed with exhaust really wakes these little motors up. it wont be as fast a s your other cars, but it will be quicker then stock.

Right now we are fixing all the dents, sanding the small rust, and then going to add a wheel arch kit and BRE front air damn. So we dont have to paint the engine bay, truck, etc, going to do a FLAT Orange of the stock car with all FLAT Black trim. Once that is done, we are fixing up the interior, suede headliner, door panels, fix the tears and cracks. Dashboard needs replacement, tuck all the wires, clean up the pedals, knobs, shifter. I have a Sparco Torino seat here so going to drop that in and recover the seats in black as well. 1.8L engine is strong but trans is so so. Going to clean up the engine bay a bit and decide what to do on the trans. If I was going to swap, I want something like a 350 Small Black V6. Car needs new front struts, ball joints, bushings. Has a small oil leak too. Just minor things to fix. Going to add a set of Suspension Techniques lower springs. Probably going to sell off these wheels and do something more deep lip and aggressive offset.

small black v6????

How wild are you wanting to go with the suspension?

If you just want lowering then slap some coil overs on that and run some Tokico HP's in front. The rear coil overs you can buy already assy for 550 or you can piece them together for under 500. A common spring rates are 200 up front and 250 on the rears.

Cant wait to see this in flat orange, I was wanting to do a flat red on mine possibly.

For the suspension, all I want the car to do right now is drive, look, and sit right. If I decide to do a motor swap and further the car, I will do coilovers from Ground Control.

Well unless you spend a few bucks you aren't going to get it to sit pretty and ride at least ok. On the minimum I would get some specialty engineering springs, if you cut the stock springs it will ride like hell, trust me I know this for a reason.

If you get D50 rear springs you are still going to have to lower the front somehow, might as well get the specialty engineering springs, everyone loves them who has them.