Jacob's Goon Build - Now L19 powered.

Laecaon

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cargo light is in. Had to clean up the hatch switch, resolder the wire on too. Got every back together. And I ran a wire connecting the ground circuits of the two dome lights, so that any of the switches in the car will turn on both lights. Just got to get around to putting in the main dome light.

Oh and I had to rivet part of them dome light back together.

Rear leaf bushings came in! Feel pretty good.

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0690.JPG

I was hoping to install the rear bushings Sunday, but may not be able to... :/

Got my foam for the door panels in! Will make for a softer feel.

And I just ordered the rear hatch seals from DatsunlandSocal, that will be an improvement!

Lately I have been getting excessive engine heat through the firewall, really annoying. Gonna check that out. Should also figure out a shift boot...

Looked at my main dome light, found 2 joints that were rusty and not letting the voltage through. Opened them and cleaned the rust out, now the main dome light works! Just need to hit the JY to find a lens. Now that I have working dome lights. I have figured out I need to clean the driver switch to make it operate 100% again. I think I might put in a switch where the map light switch is suppose to go and have it operate the dome lights on a manual mode, would make sense as their is an illustration of light next to the spot anyways.

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

Did some work today! Replaced my leaf bushings. Passenger side didnt go as smooth, but went a lot faster... When I finished up, I put the car on the ground and was like uh-oh, the rear end is now 2 inches higher... Then I got an idea. I loosened all the bushings, threw my floor jack in the back and then started jumping on the back of the car. Got the rear end to settle to my old ride height. Phew.

Then I washed the goon.

Turns out I probably didnt need new bushings, the old ones looked pretty good.

fourth to last picture is where my DS hits the floor...

last 3 are showing how clean the under side of my car is. I plan to do some undercoating possibly this winter. most of the car is like the second to last pic.

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

So after I finished up last night, I forgot to tighten my lug nuts... So I got distracted by the ride height when I put it on the ground, spent probably 15 minutes fixing that. Then I pulled the car out and gave it a bath. Then I took a shower. Just slipped my mind...

Started going to my friends house. About 10 blocks later, I feel the rear end drop, I thought something happened to the leafs. Got out of the car and couldnt find anything wrong except the car was resting on the driver side rear wheel. I somehow managed to pull the car into a driveway off the street.

I called up my sister, told her to bring my star lug wrench. I then grabbed the jack out of the Jetta, (damn that thing is fast to use, I have used floor jacks that are slower), and had the car in the air. Since I lost all my lug nuts on that wheel, I decided best option would be to take a lug nut off the other 3 wheels, so now all 4 wheels only have 3 lug nuts... I know not completely safe, but I have heard of worse things. Got everything back together.

No real damage to the car. Some paint rubbing. And the backside of the rim looks like it may not have liked having the drum roll around on it, but it doesnt look bad, definitely not noticeable.

Each wheel gets one of the nuts on the left side, and 3 of the ones on the right side.

So I have been wanting to get wheel locks for some time, now is that time I guess. McGards are my favorite ones I have ever had to deal with at work...

31GHvt29zOL.jpg

51zNZgi%2BfGL.jpg

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

You are a lucky man, the outcome could have been a lot worse.

I had the same thing happen a long time ago, I was and wasn't as lucky as you, I was lucky that the wheel didn't destroy the fender well, it actually stayed on the drum like yours did(very lucky), as I slowed down from over 50mph vibrating badly.

I was unlucky in the fact that I had to also remove a stud from each of the other wheels to replace the destroyed studs, as only one stud was usable, and I had to walk back down the freeway till I found at least one lugnut so I would have 4 on each wheel.

Our outcome is not what usually happens, normally the wheel comes off and turns sideways destroying sheet metal as it exits, and half the time, before the vehicle gets stopped, the drum comes off also.

Glad it didn't get destructive and ugly. All in all, easy fix and no real harm done. Plus 1 build thread points for actually posting a screw-up. This kind of stuff happens to most of us at one point during a build but rarely are guys willing to admit it.

What's the latest on your interior panels? Anything new?

. About 10 blocks later, I feel the rear end drop, I thought something happened to the leafs. Got out of the car and couldnt find anything wrong except the car was resting on the driver side rear wheel. I somehow managed to pull the car into a driveway off the street.

IMG_0706.JPG

That wouldn't have worked out so good if it wasn't for your perfect fitting wheels :cool: . I've only had a wheel fall off with excessive wheel-gap

... . tucked tires saves lives .. :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks guys! At least I will always make a point of making sure the lugnuts are tight!

Door panels... well I have all the material, except the actual covering piece... I have started hanging them, kinda annoying, but its working.

But really, I have registration due by the first, just spent $140 on the hatch seals, and $90 on wheel locks, I can wait on the door panels.

Got my wheel locks. They definitely seem like very nice products. So now I am back to 4 nuts a wheel. Safe! And my wheels are a whole lot safer too!

About a week ago, I retarded my timing a degree, I was still pinging a decent amount, but the engine was running a tad smoother. So instead of retarding any more, I simply switched to 89 octane. That made the car feel so much better! Tempted to see if 91 will actually make a difference... Maybe I will run 91 until our daily temps start to drop...

Pictures, because what is an update without them? Also I am realizing I dont take many full shots of my car, Need to start reminding myself to take pictures!

Oh I guess my rotors look terrible. And they are. Grooved like vinyl. Right one is warped. I do plan on new rotors and then pads at some point soon, but not really in a rush.

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

Did the wheels get a coat of paint or is it just the lighting? I remember them as being darker.

All about the lighting!

Someone painted them at some point, runs everywhere! But this is the same color as when I got them. I like the color, but I want to repaint them. I dont want to paint them black though. Maybe since they are 2 piece, I will send the faces to Jrock and get them powder coated.

All about the lighting!

Someone painted them at some point, runs everywhere! But this is the same color as when I got them. I like the color, but I want to repaint them. I dont want to paint them black though. Maybe since they are 2 piece, I will send the faces to Jrock and get them powder coated.

Blue !!!! :D

All about the lighting!

heelllls yeah....dark metallic blue would be cool ....or anything acuall... yank them apart this winter we can do them up so purdy...

bummer on the wheel, but glad nothing crazy happened! In my old bmw e21, the axle nut came loose and the wheel and drum came off on the freeway gonig 55... luckily i was able to slow off to the side and no one got hurt, except for a big rooster tale of sparks that was lighting up the road! Tow truck guy came and asked where my wheel was and told me I need to go find it because its dangerous and he would not tow me on his flatbed because he didn't want to cause damage to my rear end.... pshhhh... rear end was dragging for a good 100ft at least!

your wagon is coming along nicely tho!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I decided to do a photoshop of Jrocks suggestion. I kinda like it...

Wow this photo came out bad... looked much better on my computer...

SNC10535bluewheels.jpg

Any ways, new wheels. Not sure what I am doing with them. Got them from Rustina. Saw an opportunity and jumped. They need a real good cleaning. And they could all probably use a repair in some way.

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG