Turbo AWD Subi-Chassis 510

VintageRice

Ok, here goes........

Since I've been talking about 510's non-stop for the last few months my friend now has the bug as well.

He wants a 510! Great!

He also wants to do a complete chassis swap from a subaru. Make the 510 AWD and a turbo boxter motor.

At first I said NNOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo shaking my fists in the air.

But then, I thought, he can totally make this happen, and make it quality. As long as he used a shell 510 he'd actually be saving one that may be otherwise scrapped right? This would be a fully caged auto-x/race car. So, the idea started to grow on me.

Anyway, just looking for opinions here and also I have seen a Subaru engine in a 510 before but can't find it now. Anyone know of it?

Thanks!!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's hell bent on starting the project, he'd better be hell bent on finishing it. It'd be a sweet thing of beauty if done right.. a miserable waste of an innocent Datsun if not.

If he puts his mind to it, it'll get done.

And as for wasting a Datsun, I feel the same way. That's why we would look for a rusted out shell destined for the scrapper to use.

We aren't like monster garage and taking a mint, all original 510 and making it into a BBQ.....

• 5 months later...

Not that I care for the Hondu, but that is some bitch'n body work. I would love to see this 510 project take off and be completed. There is another one on here some where. Not a Subi drive train, but going AWD.

The idea for this has been around for years now, and there's a reason nobody has done it. Actually, many reasons. First is that the 510 is nearly perfect around a track as is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Second, the boxer engine is just as wide as the frame rails on a 510. Someone did fit one of the engines into a 510, and it did not fit well.

Third, if you want a Subaru, buy a Subaru............If you want a 510, buy a 510. If you want both, buy both, but don't put them together.

You'd end up with a serious crap-ton of engineering and fab work, for a car that's heavier, and handles worse, than a proper 510.

• Like 1

The idea for this has been around for years now, and there's a reason nobody has done it. Actually, many reasons. First is that the 510 is nearly perfect around a track as is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Second, the boxer engine is just as wide as the frame rails on a 510. Someone did fit one of the engines into a 510, and it did not fit well.

Third, if you want a Subaru, buy a Subaru............If you want a 510, buy a 510. If you want both, buy both, but don't put them together.

You'd end up with a serious crap-ton of engineering and fab work, for a car that's heavier, and handles worse, than a proper 510.

YellowDatsun,, man oh man so well put. I'm a big fan of Subies, but 510's are still #1 in my book, and to Frankenstein them together would be wrong. Period. Well said.

Seems kinda silly to me, I have a wrx so I dig subarus but thats a ton of work for not too big of a payout.Dude said it earlier that 510s go pretty good already. This thread does remind me of the sti bug which was pretty cool though.