Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)

Josh K.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Ernie!

One more piece I had to make. The ebrake cable moves in and out when the suspension cycles. Since it was going through the stock hole in the control arm it was gonna chafe.....

See this pic:

20130106_113147.jpg

So I drew up a simple sleeve that is held in by a E-Clip:

boom.jpg

Turned it on the Lathe:

20130110_161332.jpg

Then opened the through hole in the arm to 0.625" and clipped her in!

20130110_161501.jpg

20130110_161444.jpg

I reamed the bolt holes 0.002" over the bolt shoulder Diameter and will make a 0.013" sleeve for where the bolts go through the steering arm. This way it will have no slop and locate the same when I take it apart next time without requiring the toe be reset. I've seen how Techno Toy accomplished this but didn't like the solution they came up with. This is more robust.

Made the sleeves today......

20130112_134554.jpg

Spent a little time today clearancing the body for the control arms and cross member.

20130119_173317.jpg

20130119_180501.jpg

20130119_180554.jpg

20130119_180607.jpg

20130119_182227.jpg

20130119_182306.jpg

Still gotta weld out and grind them down.

Troy broke one of my coil over shafts on the shock dyno while testing. Hopefully he got the new one and they'll ship out Monday :)

It is all the "little details" combined that make the difference!  

From my experience, having been in automotive restoration "professionally"  for over 30 years, I can see that you enjoy the challenge of the modifications you make to the car.  For those of us that truly enjoy fabrication, even the smallest fabrication detail (e.g. bolt sleeves) brings much satisfaction knowing we are making progress and knowing, as I just mentioned, the smallest of details combined, make the difference along with the sharing of the experience thru pictures.

I know for me, comments shared, both positive and not so positive, inspire, motivate and fuel me to work harder to see the car to fruition.

Very nice craftsmanship Josh!  I enjoy watching your progress.  Have you made a "definitive choice" on a color hue?

Thank you for continuing to share your progress photos and looking forward to view the car in it's sartorial splendor when completed!

Ernie

Thanks for the kind words Ernie. I'm switching jobs in the next month and I won't have access to the machining tools anymore. Luckily I have machined all the parts I need for this build... The new job is with Laser and CNC Routers.

I'm hoping to paint the car next year. Until then it will just be in "shake down" mode :)

The color will be a light blue/silver kinda like a Portifino Blue. It should look real nice with bright polished chrome and the black wheels ;)

riverside_arrival_078.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words :-) I'm loving the S4!

Project has ground to a halt. Waiting on my coilovers..... and been working two jobs. Good thing is my car fund has been replenished :-) I'll be moving in the next month and have way more space. Once settled this thing will come together fast.

Got a new toy!

20130217_124305_zps26759ac0.jpg

My coilovers will FINALLY be in my hands next week...

Stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...

Getting ready to get some work done again soon....

Ordered Front Powerslots, street performance pads, one more stainless brake line, new bearings/seals and caliper paint. Next step is get the front struts together, welded and painted. Then the car can be back on the ground for final fitment/alignment and panel attachment.

Waiting for the coilovers has been killing me. I've spent like 1.5 years to get the perfect coilovers..... Should be next week......

I bought another 510 today. It needs a new driver quarter and tail light panel but it comes with some donor parts. Its in much better shape then my chassis.... I might switch everything over... We'll see. Pics coming soon.... Funny thing is the spare rear clip I got with it has the tail lights I want :)

Maybe. I would keep the shell for a later date. Either one will become my next project anyways... We'll see. I have to get it home and give it a good inspection. I have reservations about spending 3g's for a paint job on a car that has been wrecked and is generally in rough shape. The new one looks really clean.

Here's a slew of pics. It was on craiglist so some of you have already seen these. Gonna be 1-2 weeks before I bring it home. It has a bunch of spare parts and even has an orange needle cluster with tach  :thumbup:

IMG_0096_zpse6c6efae.jpg

IMG_0109_zps6113d752.jpg

IMG_0102_zps6cf8b2ef.jpg

IMG_0099_zps7d2e4a72.jpg

IMG_0100_zpsa056a23e.jpg

IMG_0101_zpsc35a6848.jpg

IMG_0098_zps5e98c2be.jpg

IMG_0108_zpse831db47.jpg

IMG_0104_zps43bcba6e.jpg

IMG_0106_zps49515155.jpg

IMG_0107_zpsadbd0691.jpg

IMG_0103_zps363a1e55.jpg

The motor looks fresh  :thumbup:

The add:

1972 Datsun 510 2 door PROJECT
I bought this car as a project and never had the time available to remove it from project status. I'd classify it as "somewhat" assembled. A few things that need to be rectified:
The crumple damage in the rear drivers side corner
There is no hood latch assembly
Busted bolt on the windshield wiper motor assembly
Busted bolt on the hood assembly
Rear passenger side brake cylinder and brake line need replacement
Needs a turn signal relay
Horn assembly plastics are shot
Needs new tires
Needs a battery

I'm sure there are other issues that will need resolving but this is a titled car with engine. The engine was briefly tested back in 2007 but I've never had the car on the road. The car itself isn't a rust bucket. It has been stored in my garage not outside in some field under a tarp. I have fenders, grill and other basic parts although they are not installed on the car. I also have the rear end and trunk chopped from another Datsun.

• Josh K. changed the title to Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)