L16 power

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my, do you know how many cars I've seen with painted yellow DRUMS on the rear of their Neon, Civic, whatever at NAPA? As if drums were a performance option. Maybe in 1920.

Matt, you know that yellow or red drums increase stopping power by 20% at least...........I painted my drums gloss black wich decreased my stopping power, PLUS added acceleraton because the glossy finish has less wind resistance than the rusty finish on the old ones did.........but since my whole truck is yellow i have like 375 horse in my l20.....

Does Napa stock yellow caliper paint??

Bill

I'm curious what all parts and such do you guys that have the L16, I'm just wanting to compare the L16 to my current R16. Plus a 5 speed is kinda cool to have :cool:

Does all that answer your question? :lol:

But seriously, as far as performance goes, there are a number of things you can do. You can upgrade motor size(L18, L20b, LZ22, etc..), you can change the head(from the 210 open chamber head to say, an A87 Closed chamber head), you can use a myriad of different carburetors(webers, mikunis, sidedrafts, SU's, etc.), and there are also cams, from mild to race. You can upgrade the ignition to electronic as well.. with a little research, you'll see that there are alot of things you can do to an L16 to make it more(or less) than stock.

I recommend these books.

hotrod.jpg

large701050.jpg

yeah been looking but not finding a whole lot.. I'm also wondering cost.. As stroking my R16 will cost me about 500 dollars for the crank but I just don't wana deal with the roadster 5 speed since I'd have to swap over to it from my 4 speed and the L16 has the same 96 hp of fury as my r. Since I have the SU's already I would just need an intake for it.. Plus can't you find the L16 with EFI?

L16-

bore it or stroke it.... than peanut head...... than port and polish.... than bigger valves...... than find someone selling a sweet high flow intake, cannon used to make some sweet ones.... than headers.... knife edge your crank.... better oil pump.... electronic ignition..... dish pistons or dome or flat depending on what kind of compression you want.... get yourself a gangster ass cam.... lighten the fly wheel...... electric fans..... nice exhaust..... keep it cool with a good radiator.

anyone have some dyno results from a built motor and some cost? :cool:

I already know how much an R16 1.8 stroker will run me, bout 500 for the crank then 400 for the rebuild. Just that darn costly roadster 5 speed.. Less someone knows where I can get a SD22 transmission assembly then I'd be in major luck!