Fuel injection on a L20, using Mega Squirt and overall project thread

cl72wagon

Major project, looks like your making progress.

What is the sensor on the end of the fuel rail?

How will you do the return fuel line?

i have the brass fittings at both ends of the fuel rail. One goes in the other will hook up to the return line at the fuel pressure regulator. ( i still have to mount that)

the sensor on the back of the manifold has something to do with the air flow.....i can never remember what it is called.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are close......had some issues with the megasquirt,but jeff has figured out now. Just got the air filter in today. Its not totaly done but I ran out of time. Got throttle cable figured out. Just have to weld on a new peice to arm the pedal pushes on. I will post pics tonight. Cant figure out how to paste the links ..... Damn smart phones

here are some pics

2011-01-23145000.jpg

2011-01-23144949.jpg

2011-01-23144954.jpg

Lookin good! How hard is that Megasquirt to set up?

Thats a question for jeff. He has done all of it. I have been doing the mechanical stuff. The megasquirt is something i need to learn more about. Which i will soon. There is a a lot of info on the web. Tons of reading to do, so i can understand how it works. Jeff had to solder something to the board so the EDIS would work right. I think he loaded the map from his car so there shouldnt be to much tunning.

• 2 weeks later...

any update??

Nothing good at this point...... Jeff and I seem to have upset the Megasquirt gods.....But Jeff is hopefully going to figure it out this week. Last week we found some leads on the board that burnt out.(apperently its not good to have the battery charging, and the laptop charging while you are plugged into megasquirt oops.... live and learn) Got those fixed but one side of the coil pack is not firing. Jeff is pretty sure its mega squirt causing it. Tried two different coil packs with the same results. thinking about going up to pull a part to get one more just in case. There are some more details i am leaving out but my brain is fried right now.

Chriss I forgot to tell you today I already grabbed another coil that I know works. We can try that this week as well.

Yeah I have no idea why this MS is giving me so much trouble. I did the coil drivers the same on your car as I did on mine and Dave's. I will just have to keep starring at it till I find what is wrong.

Chriss I forgot to tell you today I already grabbed another coil that I know works. We can try that this week as well.

Yeah I have no idea why this MS is giving me so much trouble. I did the coil drivers the same on your car as I did on mine and Dave's. I will just have to keep starring at it till I find what is wrong.

ok sounds good...one less trip to pull a part for me....who am i kidding i will go anyways

• 2 weeks later...

Good news tonight. The goon lives......... Here is some video proof. She still needs to be tuned but it runs. It turns out one of the parts jeff put in the lid of the megasquirt was grounding out. Because a metal nut was used. Going to replace that with a plastic one and it should be happy. Jeff can explain it better. Everytime we tried to start the car the megasquirt was touching the door jam and causing it to ground out.

th_video-2011-02-24-19-27-54.jpg

should of just used the stock nissan stuff and a nistune ecu like i said, but whatever.. do it the hard way.. lets see ya take it to the dyno, or even the drag strip..

you going to tune it with a wideband???

yes, we are going to tune it with a wide band. I might be making a trip to a shop with a dyno in a couple of months. I want to drive it for a bit and work out the bugs.

Another update. This is the box i am mounting the megasquirt, all the relays and the aux. fuse box in.

this is from the front with the lid down

2011-02-25232336.jpg

This is the right side showing the hole i cut to get all the wiring thru. Dont mind the fuel line for the edge protection, i hacked it pretty good. I am going to use some stuff we have a work thats made for this. Also this pic shows i am supporting the back end of the box.

2011-02-25232341.jpg

this pic is from the front with the lid closed. It fits pretty nice. I am going to paint it black at a later date. I want to get everything in and set up first.

2011-02-25232349.jpg

Well it runs and drives......wooo hooo.... Having a weird issue with the air fuel mixture. It will run fine, then all of the sudden it will lean way out for a bit then it goes back to normal. We are not exactly sure what would be causing this, maybe fuel pump is dying or the fuel pressure regulator. Its odd if it was one of those then you would think it just wouldn't work......I don't know. But we drove it and got some tunning done. If its not one thing its another.. Oh yeah it has a brand new filter on it and the tank was totally cleaned out.

I know a very little about Megasquirt, but I have dealt with fuel injection issues on boats.

The most important rule with boats. You must know what the fuel pressure is when the problem occurs.

Very good point. Jeff and i talked about it briefly yesterday. But i didn't have any way to check it. That should change today though.

hi noticed su manifold only has 2 bolt flange .i got a manifold from AU ebay that will bolt up the 240z carbs 4 bolt flange on to the L motor 510 its made by LUX and if you go to ebay AU one is up for auction right now . just my 2 cents if you did not know about them .

As of now we are having problems with the engine idling (and the full RPM range at times) with a constant fuel mixture. If I tune it to 14.7ish at idle it will stay there for a bit then decide it wants to slowly lean out until it finally starts to die. Then after doing somewhat of a base tune (setting it a little fat to be safe) it decides on the next to pulls it's going to lean out. So maybe the injectors are sticking, or maybe the fuel pump isn't pumping a constant flow, or maybe the FPR is fucked up. Something is defiantly not right. My EFI turbo L will idle at pretty constant fuel mixture of 15 until I decide to shut her down or drive. I've let it idle for 20 min and never had any issues. Dave's car is the same way, it's a bit on the fatter side but that's another story all together. So we will have to mess around with the fuel delivery system in the week to come. Hopefully it's not as hard to figure out as the spark problem was, fuck that wasn't right! haha

Lookin good! How hard is that Megasquirt to set up?

It's way way harder than making any stock EFI engine run that's for sure. Its fun to install but takes time to set everything up correctly. I've been having a real tough time with Chriss's car. When working with all junkyard parts it can be tricky though. All the parts can be suspects when it doesn't run properly.