Fuel injection on a L20, using Mega Squirt and overall project thread

cl72wagon

ok so here goes nothing. I started with an su manifold, then put cannon manifolds on that so I could get the plenum off the Ka to sit like it should. My next issue was how to mount the Ka plenum. So this is what i came up with.

Just the manifolds bolted together

IMG_4925.jpg

My adapter

IMG_4926.jpg

The adapter sitting in place. The studs have to come out, because most of them are not straight. I may have to make the holes in the adapter box a little bigger for it to fit, but maybe not.

IMG_4927.jpg

Here the lid for the adapter box is on which has the mounting holes in it for the Ka plenum

IMG_4928.jpg

Here i have it all just sitting in place like it will be when all bolted together.

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4931.jpg

Well thats as far as i have made it. Next i have to figure out the holes for the injectors, fuel rail which will have to be pieced together. Also how i will mount the fuel rail.
I have the Ka computer and wire harness.
I have an electric fuel pump, should i go with that or stick with the mechanical?
Jeff is going to get me a distribitor for the ka which will have to be modified to work in the L motor.
I think next weekend i will put the holes in the Su manifold for the injectors.....maybe if i get bored i will go back to work this weekend.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With your machining skills, I would like to throw out a suggestion of making an adapter to hold the injectors that fits in between the head and the SU intake. Why? Because if you make that, many people will want one to run efi with gutted SU's. Like me. I would run that. Sort of like the guy on HybridZ that made a efi SU intake and used two throttle bodies in place of the SU's

• 2 months later...

Well its been a while so here goes

Jeff and I worked on this yesterday, i did the machining and he did the welding. Not much left to do on this, need to weld on some tabs for the fuel rail to bolt to.

Make the ka distrib. fit the L20 and some wiring. I am sure there is more i am forgetting but i am making progress again.....

Picture004.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture005.jpg

With your machining skills, I would like to throw out a suggestion of making an adapter to hold the injectors that fits in between the head and the SU intake. Why? Because if you make that, many people will want one to run efi with gutted SU's. Like me. I would run that. Sort of like the guy on HybridZ that made a efi SU intake and used two throttle bodies in place of the SU's

i definetly like this idea, I will keep that in mind just incase this set up does not work out.

thanks for compliments......I have the harness from a KA and the ECU from the Ka. So thats what we are rolling with. Still need to get fuel lines replaced with the FI hose, but thats a little be out yet. Not looking forward to that, i have had that tank out once already.....

Why not elimante the Canons and attach the plenum directly?How much of a PITA would eliminating the balance tube be,as it's function is duplicated by the plenum.

we talked about doing something like that, but i ran across the cannons and decided that they might be easier...... maybe, still have not decided that one. The other way i was thinking was building a box that bolts together, on one side have it set up for the su manifold and then on the top have it set up like i do now for the plenum. But thats pretty much what i have now. It would probably look cleaner with the box. Maybe i will do that at some point and time. But right now we want to see how well this works first. Thanks for the input, you got the wheels turning now.

we talked about doing something like that, but i ran across the cannons and decided that they might be easier...... maybe, still have not decided that one. The other way i was thinking was building a box that bolts together, on one side have it set up for the su manifold and then on the top have it set up like i do now for the plenum. But thats pretty much what i have now. It would probably look cleaner with the box. Maybe i will do that at some point and time. But right now we want to see how well this works first. Thanks for the input, you got the wheels turning now.

I say this from a "flow perspective".Even though it is now a"dry" manifold,the less turns the charge has to make the better.

I have a KA truck motor sitting complete with harness/ECU blah,blah blah.You got me thinking.