Fuel injection on a L20, using Mega Squirt and overall project thread

cl72wagon

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about a throttle body from a J30 Maxima mounted on the top of the plenum between the runner pairs, and use the elbow that bolts to the upstream side to get you back in the right direction?? or modify your plenum into a triangle shape to get clearance to the hood.

there is a picture of a pair of these ( without the cast aluminium elbow) in this thread;

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/21003-new-guy-here-new-little-engine/

A completely straight manifold isn't absolutely necessary. If you look at the stock 280z manifold, you'll find the runners aren't equal length, yet it works just fine. It would be a big problem with a wet manifold, yes, but with a dry manifold flowing only air, you're going to be able to suck in air regardless of the front port being closer. Granted, equal length is nicer and more desirable.

The other thing you could do is close the box end at the dizzy and open a hole in the middle of the outside edge, then build a 45 degree angle ramp with new throttle body attachment there. That way you would still have equal length everything, just the entry point has changed.

Why can't stuff just fit! My idea was to put a U joint on the dizzy :) There is just no easy way to make everything work! Bringing the plenum out farther just makes it that much bigger and heavier, like the original one using the SU to weber adapters (which I think looks cool :) )

One thing with this, is that eventually i would like to turbo it. That being said if i use the Ka stuff now, I will have to change it later for the turbo set up. Decisions, Decisions.....

you could always just get nistune to fine tune it.. its really not that expensive when your considering a turbo setup an you could keep all the stock ka wiring, injectors, distributor ect. and honestly you will probably need it anyway cause its gonna run mega rich being that everything's set for a 2.4.. huge difference..

plus nistunes a hell of alot easier to use compared to megasquirt an cost close to the same..

An update...... Because eventually i want to go with a turbo and the stock ka stuff wont cut it for that......So i decided to buy myself an early Xmas present......Megasquirt should be here by friday, then this weekend i will get the rest of the stuff for the EDIS set up. So right now i am waiting on some other parts too....this weekend i will get as much done and put together as possible. then maybe the following weekend wire it up......that might be pushing it but we shall see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

well i have some updates on this..... I will start it off with a pic of my son Ethan and Jeff (icehouse) working on the goon.......

Got the coil pack mounted,

Got the Ford EDIS on the crank pulley

Transmission is back in

Made the Distrib delete plate and fuel pump delete plate.......they look pretty good for home made with a grinder.

Jeff is in the process of getting the mega squirt set up and ready.

Jeff cleaned up the wire harness in the engine bay and got it put back in.

Got the fuel tank modified for the bigger lines and a return.

thats all i can think of right now.......here are some pics

2010-12-29192558.jpg

2010-12-28141931.jpg

2010-12-28141921.jpg

2010-12-28145148.jpg

2010-12-28143456.jpg

this one is supposed to show how nice and shiney the engine bay is......

2010-12-18152505.jpg

Looking good chris!! Would lve to hear that beast run when you get it done. The fuel pump you gave me works GREAT. In Fact I was able to run my car tonight because of it!! Can't wait to get that weber rebuilt and make it run like it should. I'm posting a video of the car running in my build thread.

Thanks, again.

Looking good chris!! Would lve to hear that beast run when you get it done. The fuel pump you gave me works GREAT. In Fact I was able to run my car tonight because of it!! Can't wait to get that weber rebuilt and make it run like it should. I'm posting a video of the car running in my build thread.

Thanks, again.

Glad to hear it worked for ya.

Getting closer......wiring almost complete. here are some random pics. Depending on how the week and part of the weekend goes she may fire off next weekend. No promises on that though. My anniversery tues, so we will be doing something for that this weekend. I have already been informed that my time will be very limited on the goon this coming weekend...... :D

2011-01-16183428.jpg

2011-01-16183436.jpg

2011-01-16183443.jpg

2011-01-16183419.jpg

That looks so killer. You need to start making a kit once you get everything dialed in.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thanks for the complement. Jeff has helped out a lot. Infact without his help i would not have attempted this. Selling this as a kit......that would be cool but my cheap and easy idea has been anything but that...... The kits would be pretty expensive. But it has been a good learning experiance for me.