Fuel injection on a L20, using Mega Squirt and overall project thread

cl72wagon

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so i have another update...... i got so fixated on making the KA plenum work ,I overlooked somethig very easy..... THanks to Z-Train for gettin the wheels turning last night.....

What do you think about this??? 4 inch square tubbing, .375 wall thickness and about 12.5 long. I have some more machining to do( round corners, etc...... make it look sweet). If this works i will tear it apart and get it anodized and do some engraving on the top........

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

i think youve got the right idea with not using the cannons, but id go with a round piece of stock for the plenum. if anything though, if try to at least make it to where theres no 90* corners. do everything you can to make that sqaure a little more round... lol

this is really coo tho! it kind of opens up the cheap options to fuel inject.

i think youve got the right idea with not using the cannons, but id go with a round piece of stock for the plenum. if anything though, if try to at least make it to where theres no 90* corners. do everything you can to make that sqaure a little more round... lol

this is really coo tho! it kind of opens up the cheap options to fuel inject.

round stock may actually cost me money..... Not to mention its round....... then i would have to make something for the manifold to bolt up to. Maybe later, but for now its cheap and easy..... later down the road i may look into making more effective.....talking about maybe doing a turbo set up next...... but thats for another day and thread.

The most logical setup would be D-shaped. But I would assume that if the plenum volume is large enough, square corners wouldn't matter. . . as long as there were velocity stacks inside. At any rate, you've already got the box tube, and the wall thickness is enough to clean up the exterior corners. I think it will work out fine. The part you make is still dependent on the flow characteristics of the stock manifold anyway.

should ditch the square plenum if you can. the end and outside should deff not have any corners on them (from a CFD standpoint)

this should give you a few ideas ;)

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/51825-scratchbuilt-l6-efi-intake-manifold/

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/75212-another-intake-manifold-cfd-thread-big-pics/page__p__716261__fromsearch__1#entry716261

• 2 weeks later...

Well Icehouse and i made some progress lastnight, but all of the sudden it came to a screaching hault.........We ran into clearance issues with the distribitor. So I really dont see any way around it without building something completely different to still use the Ka computer. So It looks like this thread name should change to fuel injection using megasquirt.....

with out the distrib everything else looks good

2010-12-03193126.jpg

but with it not so good

2010-12-04074625.jpg

So i will get some more info from jeff today and order the mega squirt this weekend sometime......

just have to change the plemun design to clear the dizzy

Easier said than done.You don't want to have a straight"shot" to one cylinder/runner and not the others.If you angle,the front of the intake,you've have the throttle plate pointed right at the 1 & 2 runner.

Easier said than done.You don't want to have a straight"shot" to one cylinder/runner and not the others.If you angle,the front of the intake,you've have the throttle plate pointed right at the 1 & 2 runner.

Good point......Well shit, i will toy around with some more idea's on this. Another way to go would be just start over and make a new manifold from scratch..... One thing with this, is that eventually i would like to turbo it. That being said if i use the Ka stuff now, I will have to change it later for the turbo set up. Decisions, Decisions.....

ya I know, whats why I added thos BZ threads to this thread.

they cover plenum design complete with showing the CFD for them

the same design from these threads can be molded a bit to fit in there, clear the dizzy and have good flow.

ya its more work than modding the one on there now but if your going to be building a plenum fit might as well make one with good flow.