Your plans!

I was just curious to what everyones running and there future plans are or current plans are.

I was originally going to just keep my dime stock but now I kinda want to throw in a CA18DET 5-speed and a 2-way kaaz lsd and make it a daily driver :D

I had a 89 240sx did a engine swap from ka24 to KA24DE.

And from there on was kinda just drawn into the whole Nissan obsession.

Now I'm crazy about my dime! :D

so please give me some ideas!

I'd love to hear what you guys have in those DIMES!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dream 510 would be: stock-look on outside. Widened steel wheels (for sleeper look). Alloy V8 power, either Buick 215 V8 or Ford/Yamaha V8.

The Buick 215 aluminum V8 is a good choice! It weighs about 60-70 lbs more than the stock 510 engine, and when used in the Oldsmobile came with a turbo option rated at 215 hp. This was back in '62, way before any knock sensors and ignition retard systems. To compensate for turbo lag the compression was a staggering 10.75 to 1, which of coarse limited boost to only 5 lbs. To help eliminate pre-ignition a special liquid injection was used, using 'Turbo Rocket Fluid'. Available only at the dealer, it was injected under boost conditions and unknown to most was only distilled water and methyl alcohol. Eventually, the tooling etc. was sold to Land Rover, and up into the '90s, the timing chain, cover, oil pump and a host or other bearings and parts would still swap with the 215 V8 and it's V6 successor. (at one time I looked into a 4.1 liter Buick V6 swap into my 620)

Just imagine what could be done with to-day's state-of-the-art turbos, computers and sensors!

I would like to put a hyabusa mid engine in my 1200. you can get like 350hp out of those engines! imagine a 1400 lbs car with that power. (factory weight is 1635. I think that the motor cycle engine weighs less that the A14 with tranny with other weight saving techniques it would be a feather.

• 6 years later...

Bought an old beat up mirror shimmery mylar type insulated window cover sun protector thingy at a yardsale a while back.

Actually it was free with the purchase of a trailer hitch mount three bike bicycle rack (available on my local CL btw).

Well anyways...

The tranny tunnel and gear shift lever stubbual area gets screaming freaking hot after some hard driven'.

Gonna put that under the carpet in that area.

Might as well fabricate a lil sheet metal tab thingy holder doo hicky for the switched out micro switch I'm gonna switch for the reverse lights.

Old busted LCD TV button of some sort should fill the bill.

Old micro switch came unhot glued after a few hard miles.

Told ya it gets hot down there.

That's the plan anyways.

The buick 215 is a way overlooked motor. Its like 300lb dry lol, and I read with a 300 crank and some other parts you can take it safely to 5L (from 3.5L). Thats pretty wild imho. 

I hope to do a vh swap this winter but I would much rather the smaller bimmer 3.0 v8. I have a hard on for light small high spinning v8s lol. I wish there was some kind of equivalent v12 option lol, anything affordable is a boat anchor though sadly...  

the hayabusa motor is a great idea, but if you try to pull a datsun 510 with it the tranny will explode, so you will have to hack the tranny off and figure a mounting plan for a five speed, Not worth it IMHO.

the V8 thing is just old, beyond old in fact, I only use nissan motors, in nissan cars, so your not gonna find a 2JZ swapped in mine, and never anything american,  and I really am not a fan of V6s that much either.

I have been considering using an rb20 or 25 instead of the L28 turbo., just thoughts for now though. (910 not 510)

The Buick 215 aluminum V8 is a good choice! It weighs about 60-70 lbs more than the stock 510 engine, and when used in the Oldsmobile came with a turbo option rated at 215 hp. This was back in '62, way before any knock sensors and ignition retard systems. To compensate for turbo lag the compression was a staggering 10.75 to 1, which of coarse limited boost to only 5 lbs. To help eliminate pre-ignition a special liquid injection was used, using 'Turbo Rocket Fluid'. Available only at the dealer, it was injected under boost conditions and unknown to most was only distilled water and methyl alcohol. Eventually, the tooling etc. was sold to Land Rover, and up into the '90s, the timing chain, cover, oil pump and a host or other bearings and parts would still swap with the 215 V8 and it's V6 successor. (at one time I looked into a 4.1 liter Buick V6 swap into my 620)

Just imagine what could be done with to-day's state-of-the-art turbos, computers and sensors!

Wasn't the Rover version used in the Rover 3500 sedan, Triumph TR8, original Morgan 8, and probably a couple of other Brit cars I'm not remembering? Any idea how rebuildable either the Buick or Rover versions are? I have a vague memory of heat treated cylinder walls or something. I don't know how a rebore works. Maybe fine. Or I could be thinking of Vega or another aluminum block attempt.

Len

Ya rover bought the motor design from them I believe then they wanted to buy it back like 30 years later and rover said no lol. 

As for v8's being old... They aren't nearly as old or useless as purism. 

• Like 1

GM also sold off the odd fire V6 to Jeep in the mid-late 60s at the height of the muscle car era (who the fuck wants a 6 cylinder these days anyway?) and then gas went up and they had no econo six. Idiots.

Ya rover bought the motor design from them I believe then they wanted to buy it back like 30 years later and rover said no lol. 

As for v8's being old... They aren't nearly as old or useless as purism. 

useless is an opinion, v8s being old is BARELY an opinioin anymore.............

I love Nissan purism, I dont think it applies here though, but i would never sully a nissan product with an american engine, not gonna put a Subaru engine in my Porsche, not gonna put a Toyota engine in my BMW, not gonna put a Chevy engine in my Datsun.

I think that so called "purism" is  good thing, otherwise everyone might have an LS1 in EVERY VINTAGE CAR ON THE PLANET

I would love to drop that 215 in my 620.  I can only find this on one done...  http://www.carscoops.com/2012/03/ebay-find-1975-datsun-620-pickup-truck.html

Does that trans tunnel look modified?

1975-Datsun-Truck-14%25255B2%25255D.jpg

1975-Datsun-Truck-13%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Not sure how much work this would be and how much it would cost but its a cool idea.

Thats an awesome truck. the tunnel looks like it might be slightly moded? Where the bell starts and is at its widest looks like maybe it was glassed. 

Personally I like the idea of an ls1 or an ls2 in a 510, only down fall would be traction... But what I'd really want to do would be swap in a Sti drivetrain, boxer turbo and awd would be lots of fun!!!

But I think an LS motor would be my choice, they're cheap motors, tons of aftermarket, tested parts and the tuning is readily available...

-Rob

Plans do come true.

Datsun510Insulating8.jpg

I did NOT plan on the drivers seat taking at least 5 times longer getting it back in then getting it out.

New plan... buy (or find the) Velcro (I already have).

Carpet is a lil slippy slidey now.

Personally I like the idea of an ls1 or an ls2 in a 510, only down fall would be traction... But what I'd really want to do would be swap in a Sti drivetrain, boxer turbo and awd would be lots of fun!!!

But I think an LS motor would be my choice, they're cheap motors, tons of aftermarket, tested parts and the tuning is readily available...

-Rob

first you named the most overswapped engines in history

then you named the worst performance engine in history, the STI EJ, engineering nightmare, $900 labor to replace a $19 fuel hose. most terrible engineering design in the history of car engines, the flat 4, oh wait, no were not building a plane?!?!?,  yeah I was right the first time, worst, they also wear the pistons sideways due to gravity,  not to mention they have crap transmissions, that have a tendency for the synchros to go out. Did I mention that Subarus are Garbage? give me an EVO all day, at least I can work on that engine without wanting to murder engineers in their sleep. I swear I hope I dont find an EJ swapped Datsun on here, thats just sacrilege.

I would seriously kill to see a K24A2 swapped into a datsun and made rear wheel drive through an S2000 tranny,  you could run it and beat it hard as hell forever with 250 WHP naturally aspirated, and NO THAT IS NOT AN EXAGGERATION. It would never break vitrually, it would be the most reliable datsun in history, and it would be fast as hell, and the K24 is lighter than an L20, not to mention it has VTec and Variable Valve Timing. the transmission in the S2000 is also a gift from god.

• Like 1

The title of this thread is "your plans" not "lets shit on everyone elses plans". Post yours, let people have theirs and move on man... 

• Like 2