Sand in the cylinders of my L16

pharouh

OK. I finally got the cylinder head off of my L16 I bought. The PO said it had been sitting for 12 years covered up in his mom's barn. It was stuck and I couldn't get it to turn no matter what.

Imagine my surprise when I found about a half a pound of sand in the first two cylinders and a little in the other two. Plus the #1 exhaust valve was broken.How could that much get in there? it's soaking in MMO now.

cyl1.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He may only have been repeating what he was told. Broken valve is not good. They don't break by themselves just sitting so this motor was 'blown up' which begs the question.... what does the piston top look like as that valve would have rattled around in there for a while. What does the head look like?

Was the motor in that car or on the floor covered up. If on the floor mice could move in and call it home.

He may only have been repeating what he was told. Broken valve is not good. They don't break by themselves just sitting so this motor was 'blown up' which begs the question.... what does the piston top look like as that valve would have rattled around in there for a while. What does the head look like?

Was the motor in that car or on the floor covered up. If on the floor mice could move in and call it home.

Strangely enough the top of the pistons look good . I cleaned it up some,but it was getting late.I found it on CL and the pictures showed it on a little dolly. Who knows if it had been on that all the time. It was the only Datsun engine for sale in the midwest ,and I had to go out of state (Ohio) to get it! Maybe I should have put a SBC in it. Plenty of those around.

No, I had to have Datsun. :hyper:

Hey,it's the only one around here.

Do you guys get sand/dust storms? drive with no airfilter.

No,Not too many dust storms in the midwest. :D

I talked to a coworker who's pretty knowledgeable about cars. He thinks it might be the blown head gasket/stop leak,too. If it had been flooded,it would have been everywhere.The oil pan and cylinder head were clean.

Can't believe the damn PO said it ran. :fu:

No,Not too many dust storms in the midwest. :D

I talked to a coworker who's pretty knowledgeable about cars. He thinks it might be the blown head gasket/stop leak,too. If it had been flooded,it would have been everywhere.The oil pan and cylinder head were clean.

Can't believe the damn PO said it ran. :fu:

Well im sure at one time it ran, dang that sucks

It's hard to tell from the picture, but could it be some of that thick stop leak crap? It is sort of sandy. Maybe someone tried to seal a head gasket leak with it

I'll bet your're right...It could include rust and scale from an improperly maintained cooling system; the gasket blew, and whoosh, here it all comes. I'll tell you with a high degree of certainty that the whitish slime trail coming down the block alongside the #2 cylinder IS stop leak. I know because I've used the stuff and have had a similar looking deal on my block when the seal it made finally gave up.

Am I the only one seeing a major problem with #2 piston? It's not at the same level as #3 as it should be, unless I'm looking at it incorrectly.

As far as the sand, sounds like someone wanted to kill it. I've heard of doing that when you say work in a wrecking yard and your yard rig is on it's last legs and you want to hurry up facilitating a new one. :) Not that I have any knowledge of that.

More pictures.

Closeup of the valve seat. Valve snapped off clean and still moves.

Block casting #s. Hard to see. Is this an L20? I was led to believe it was an L16. Other number says M1. The head is a 210.says that on block too.

block_cast.jpg

ex_valve.jpg

block.jpg

As far as the pistons being at the right level,they are.That was just crud on there. #1 piston looks good too. #2 has some corrosion,probably the one that's stuck.

Its an L16. The stamp for the number '1' in L16 (and L18s) looks like a '2'. The end character would be a 'B' if it were a L20B, and the end character I see is a '6'

Its an L16. The stamp for the number '1' in L16 (and L18s) looks like a '2'. The end character would be a 'B' if it were a L20B, and the end character I see is a '6'

OK,I looked at the front cover and it's the same height as my other L16. 10 1/4". What is the M1 and M2 stamp? I have one of each.