Towing/Hauling with a Datsun?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to build a 521, or 620 with a fifth wheel tow hitch so I can flat bed trailer my 2000lb. 510 for track days. The car has plates, but if it breaks down at Sonoma, or Laguna Seca, I want to be able to get it home. I would imagine the load would be near 3300lb. Obviously 55mph is as fast as I'd go, but my greatest fear is a terminal sway harmonic. I've read that putting the tow point directly over the rear axle, and having the trailer as low as possible really helps with stability. Another contributing factor to sway harmonic is the amplification of the load swaying. Fortunately, this is not an issue with my car.

In the pursuit of safety, what other upgrades to the truck would you guys recommend? Discs up front, electric trailer brakes, heavier leaf springs and axles, Dualies? 

500+ miles over a pass or two 

Check the towing limits on the Toy. May be in the glove box booklet. Air up the tires.

If towing with rear wheels on ground take the driveshaft off and tie securely out of the way. Mark the U joint so it goes back on the same way it came off. Expect this to weigh barely under 2,300 pounds. Trailer? add to the car weight.

Automatics are fried almost exclusively from over heating and you'll never know it as it happens. The trans coolers are little more than 8" or metal tubing inside the bottom rad tank surrounded with hot water. How these thing ever last 100K is beyond me. I would get the largest RV trans cooler you can find and splice into the trans cooler return line. Check the ATF and DO NOT over fill it if climbing hills.

Check fan belts and fluid levels specially the rad. This is going to cause the Toy to work 5 times as hard as on the level and will tax everything to the limit. Take water with you. Down hill if you smell the brakes pull over irregularly and let them cool. Use lower gear for engine braking. Don't use over drive on the flat.

ok im going to go look for a trans cooler at my local junk yard no is it important how high or low to mount the newer larger cooler ? in relation to the trans dip stick? and when adding more trans fluid do i do it running? hot or cold? this is my first auto, i did check it when i bought it and cold it was at the proper level, honestly i have not checked it hot 

Check the tranny warmed up and in neutral. Shift through all gears, then place in neutral.

Any external oil cooler will work. Just make sure it's getting air flow. Does your toyota have a temp warning light? Mine does.

Change the fluid if you can afford it. Think about McDees fryer oil. Works best when new. ATF will degrade from excess heat and loosee it's friction modified properties. The dark coloring is friction material coming off the clutch discs. It's not filtered by the filter and is abrasive to everything in the automatic. .