Buy a seal for my front glass from route66

SRSANDS

Well, This week Im gonna buy the front glass seal for my dime. I want a cheap one because its coming out this winter for the headliner then a better one will be installed. Anyways, I found a seller on ebay for the front seal called rout66 cruisers form Oregon for 73 bucks. I was just gonna pick up the crapy taiwan seals but after shipping they end up being close to price of the better known ones....these guys have it for 63 plus ten shipping and warranty for life...have any of you bought from them, how about the Oregon guys? I think I may just roll the dice and buy it...I will let you know how it is!

Also, those have installed one, is Butyl necessary in the seal crack?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, it seems you've come to a situation where you are pressured into being the guinea pig because no one else wants to. If you do follow through with the seals, and discover they are a really good value, you should hold your recommendations for the rest of us and purchase all the seals available, then sell them for profit while they're out of stock. Of course that would never happened because those seals are more than likely not good.

I bought my seals through A-Star in Spokane, who also found the last remaining 510 windshields in the area, think one was shipped from Seattle, that's the one currently in the car. Anyway, can't remember who made them, but they came in a green and clear package if memory serves and the rubber is still nice and supple.

OP, it seems you've come to a situation where you are pressured into being the guinea pig because no one else wants to. If you do follow through with the seals, and discover they are a really good value, you should hold your recommendations for the rest of us and purchase all the seals available, then sell them for profit while they're out of stock. Of course that would never happened because those seals are more than likely not good.

OP??? WTF is OP? Guinea Pig??? Pressure? What? I will let you know if it is a good seal after a year, and if not I will let all on Ratsun know as well as Route 66 because they personally asked me to call them once its in and if there is any probs. Im not pressured to buy by any means....I want to buy a cheap seal shitty or not, its only temp but if a cheap seal thats cheaper than the known shitty seals turns out to be a good seal then I am gonna let it known on here....if I bought them all and then sold them for a profit then I suppose there would be only shitty cheap seals still right :) And then everyone that coulndt affors a good seal would have to deal with shit ha ha ha

On the butyl question, it really depends on the condition of the mounting lip. If it's rusty, or bent, then maybe you'll need some sealant. I don't think they were designed to be installed with any though. If the seal fits properly in the first place, it should be ok without any goop. I've only done the rear window in a 521 as far as Datsuns, but I've done about 8 other cars that use a similar mounting system and an H cross section gasket. I didn't use any sealant in the 521.

Re: zhiguli510 has sent a question about item #400115107554, ending on Apr-19-10 15:32:10 PDT - 68/73 DATSUN 510 NISSAN WINDSHIELD WEATHERSTRIP SEAL Received: Apr-15-10

To: zhiguli510

ItemId: 400115107554

eBay sent this message to alex ayzman (zhiguli510).

Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay Motors. Learn more.

Seller has responded to your question about this item

Do not respond to the sender if this message requests that you complete the transaction outside of eBay. This type of offer is against eBay policy, may be fraudulent, and is not covered by buyer protection programs. Learn More.

Dear zhiguli510,

It's manufactured either in Taiwan or Thailand. Thanks, Gail

- route66cruisers

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/19688-datsun-510-rubbers-and-other-misc-stuff/page__p__274885__hl__zhiguli510__fromsearch__1entry274885

OP??? WTF is OP?

over pressure?

over priced?

ocean pacific?

oooh, puhleeze!

Original Poster.

Seller has responded to your question about this item

It's manufactured either in Taiwan or Thailand. Thanks, Gail

Thailand makes the crappy seals, not Taiwan.

:lol: :rofl:

• 5 months later...

From the bluebird list:

I am sure most of you know that Randy at vintage rubber has made all the correct weather strips for the Datsun 510 2-4 doors and wagons and he did this at considerable expense to make a correct product not imported from somewhere overseas that does not last a year. I loaned Randy all my last set of doors and trunk and 1/4 windows as well as my last Canadian rear window rubber to create the smooth profile(no Stainless) rear rubber seal which is almost done now and we are now stocking all the new door seals and the correct trunk seals and new outside rear 1/4 window seals. we made them in bulk to keep costs down and most everyone can mitre 1 joint or corner and glue it so we are currently offering the 2 door kit with the doors and trunk and both 1/4 windows for $160 plus shipping. The quality is outstanding and very correct. I believe if these parts do actually sell he will consider making other hard to get products that I have suggested such as wagon stuff and even though I thought someone many years back was doing this I have not heard anything about it.

On another note does anyone have for sale a set of front and rear 2 dr interior panels for doors and rear 1/4s in the original red as I am in the market for some very good ones if they exist. We are restoring another original trans-am 510 and it had its original panels in the photos. I will pay fair money for decent original panels that have not been dyed or too badly damaged.

Thanks www.classicdatsun.com

Les

Les Cannaday

Classic Datsun Motorsports