Everyone askin' about chevy 350 in a datto Try a 4.3 v6

Guest kamakazi620

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 4.1 V6 from a Caddy. This was seriously considered for my 620 but I ended up giving to a guy with an old '63? Skylark.

I drove a company Astro to Montreal and back. It had the 4.3 and a Quadrajet. I thought it was a V8, lol. It would bark second no prob a it flew on the highway.

Check it 4.3 stock is 190hp with some upgrades 300hp and a flat power curve

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0208_chevy_43l_262ci_v6_engine_build/dyno_results.html

Don't forget it's a heavy pushrod pos! :) Sorry, I don't like 4.3s. You could make 300 hp with a VG no problem, it would be a lot lighter.

• Like 1

Don't forget it's a heavy pushrod pos! :) Sorry, I don't like 4.3s. You could make 300 hp with a VG no problem, it would be a lot lighter.

I actually don't think they're THAT heavy. But the crank design sucks, the head design is as good as any iron headed SBC's... which isn't that great. They only come in two bolt bottom end flavors as far as I know. I re-built one for an S15 Jimmy. Basically blueprinted the damn thing and everything was set up about as perfect as it can get, all the tolerances were right in the middle of the range, new pistons, new valvetrain, etc. Spun two bearings in the bottom end within 10k miles. Yeah I'm not a big 4.3 fan either.

The heads alone must weigh another 50 pounds on the VG. I remember working on my buddy's truck (head gasket) and trying to lift that stupid thing and wondering if it was glued onto the block. Nope, just heavy as shit. Especially when you're used to L motor heads. Pretty light in comparison for one more cylinder's worth.

EDIT: Just did some quick looking on google. Like a fat kid on cake! 425 lbs give or take a few for trim/year. Jeebus!

So far I've found a single cam VG30 weighs around 392 pounds. Guess the 4.3 isn't that much heavier. However, one has to consider the superiority of the Nissan V6. The average Z car single cam makes 200 hp stock out of 1.3 liters less. And can be boosted to more than 300 hp. It looks prettier too, did I mention that? :)

WINNER!

Guest kamakazi620

The heads alone must weigh another 50 pounds on the VG. I remember working on my buddy's truck (head gasket) and trying to lift that stupid thing and wondering if it was glued onto the block. Nope, just heavy as shit. Especially when you're used to L motor heads. Pretty light in comparison for one more cylinder's worth.

EDIT: Just did some quick looking on google. Like a fat kid on cake! 425 lbs give or take a few for trim/year. Jeebus!

So far I've found a single cam VG30 weighs around 392 pounds. Guess the 4.3 isn't that much heavier. However, one has to consider the superiority of the Nissan V6. The average Z car single cam makes 200 hp stock out of 1.3 liters less. And can be boosted to more than 300 hp. It looks prettier too, did I mention that? :)

WINNER!

Did you see the power curve on the mild build 4.3???? 194 hp at 3500rpm and 200ft lbs of torque at 3500rpm and it just climbs to 5600rpm 315ft lbs at 4300rpm you also have to consider WHEN the vg30 is makin' 200 hp at what rpm,the 4.3 is 190 hp bone stock with a carb and ya can't get a vg30 for 25 bucks http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/1611619589.html

So far I've found a single cam VG30 weighs around 392 pounds. However, one has to consider the superiority of the Nissan V6. The average Z car single cam makes 200 hp stock out of 1.3 liters less. And can be boosted to more than 300 hp.

The Single Cam VG30E never made 200 HP stock.(unless it was boosted) The 300ZX engine made 165 HP stock. The 200SX SE VG30(1987-1988) made 160 HP stock. Adding headers and euro cams will add about 20-25 HP. Still not at 200HP. The VG33 makes 180 HP and 195 ft/# of torque in stock form. I am installing a VG33 in my 510.

Well where did I get that then? I could have swore I looked it up the other day and it said stock hp was 200. Maybe I was looking at boosted VG30 stock ratings. Hmmm. Anyway, I'd do a jet engine before a 4.3 any day!

Guest kamakazi620

Any of you guys thought about a LS1 or LS2, all aluminum plus serious power!!:cool:

The 4.3 engine is shorter than a v8 and when mildly built it pushes 300 hp with a flat powercurve,I just mentioned it cuz you wouldn't have to chop up the firewall,and ya can run a carb on this motor so no computer or F/I BS to worry about + I'll bolt to chev V8 trannys like a camaro/firebird 5-speed