Fram Oil Filters = Fail

Before I knew better, I ran my first z-car's L28 for maybe 75,000 miles with FRAM oil filters before upgrading to more expensive brands. The car still had great compression at over 200k. I did change the oil regularly and kept the same brand of oil in it all those years. (Castrol)

In my truck I run synthetic because the original owner did that since it was new. I change the oil at longer intervals and use a K&N oil filter.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah im tossing the fram silver off my 510 and getting a wix haha

The regular wix , purolator , and napa gold filters all worked well for me after I had changed from FRAM oil filters , just entirely stay away from FRAM period ! ya gotta trust me , I had the same symptoms ( read the very first post and I hope you do not find yourself in my shoes. ) there are other good oil filters apparently such as bosch ( by consensus on this thread ) , but I have never tried bosch myself. This will be the best $5-7 dollars you will spend ! Spin on the oil filter and feel the difference , hear the difference , know the difference :cool:

I hope this helps a bit , Thanks for listening :cool:

DTP

P.S ( It's only like $12-$15 more a year for quality filters :D ;) )

Napa had a 70% off sale on their oil filters.I bought two for almost

each car we own.Great deal!

When I went to buy one for my Wife's Fusion,the parts guy asked "which-

one?" - "spin on,or canister?".I hadn't heard of any canisters on newer cars,so

I bought one of each.When I went to change the oil,I wasn't sure where the filter

was located.It turns out that they use an allenhead bolt on the bottom of the can-

nister.I just happened to have a Snap-on wrench that I'd bought to work on CV joints

on my Fiesta.

From now on,I'm just buying Napa filters whenever possible.

- Doug

Napa had a 70% off sale on their oil filters.I bought two for almost

each car we own.Great deal!

When I went to buy one for my Wife's Fusion,the parts guy asked "which-

one?" - "spin on,or canister?".I hadn't heard of any canisters on newer cars,so

I bought one of each.When I went to change the oil,I wasn't sure where the filter

was located.It turns out that they use an allenhead bolt on the bottom of the can-

nister.I just happened to have a Snap-on wrench that I'd bought to work on CV joints

on my Fiesta.

From now on,I'm just buying Napa filters whenever possible.

- Doug

Wow ! That is a good deal ! Nice Find Doug :thumbup: Yeah, I think I am going the same route as you from now on period ! :cool: ( God Bless Napa ! )

so do the bosch ones suck too? reason i ask is because i just put one on the wifes car.. its not gonna be on there for ever but i'd like to know..

the guys at shucks were all stupid faced when i told them i didnt want a fram lol.. i was like ANY thing but fram..

:lol:

Seems to be a lot of guys that like to use Bosch Oil Filters on here , and prefer them too :cool: ( I never have my favorites are posted all over this thread :P ;) )

Somehow I hope all FRAM oil filters are recalled :thumbup: , but they make good cupholders , and conversation pieces as well ! ( as in "this piece of shit" hahaha )

cool cool.. i didnt think bosch would be crap so thats why i got it.. lol i will prolly only put a few hundred miles on it anyway an put a new one in.. ya know for rebreakin the motor in an all

Nice ! :cool:

I think i'll try that line " Anything but FRAM " that's great :lol: , just too see if anyone chimes in :D

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

In my truck I run synthetic because the original owner did that since it was new. I change the oil at longer intervals and use a K&N oil filter.

ive run synthetic (castrol) in the 4runner for over 100K mi, usually go 7500mi between with mobil 1 filters (or K&N)

from mikes link re: mobil 1 filters "I'm happy to say that this filter is NOT a fake. It is definitely a unique design."

i went 15000 miles between last year :o good thing theyre rated for 10000.

I went yesterday and had to order a napa filter # 1521 for a 510. surprised they don't stock it so that means I would have to keep inventory on them for the future. I put it on today and did not notice anything major but will have to drive some to see if I notice anything. one thing I notice is the size is a bit smaller that the Fram unit so wondering if that would mean the filter would consume less oil in the body resulting in more oil to the motor? will post a update if I notice anything.

The volume of oil in the filter has no effect on the amount of oil that is circulating through the motor. Not counting what is in the pan. A larger volume filter will over all increase the capacity of oil in the motor. More oil takes longer to get dirty.

I went yesterday and had to order a napa filter # 1521 for a 510. surprised they don't stock it so that means I would have to keep inventory on them for the future. I put it on today and did not notice anything major but will have to drive some to see if I notice anything. one thing I notice is the size is a bit smaller that the Fram unit so wondering if that would mean the filter would consume less oil in the body resulting in more oil to the motor? will post a update if I notice anything.

Don't buy the 1521. It's the same filter as a 1515 and twice the cost. I noted that a few posts before. Literally, the same micron rating and everything. It may come up as specified, but you certainly don't need to use it. Especially when the 1515 Ford V8 fits all filter is half the cost.

Did I mention we're having the NAPA filter sale, going on now? All Gold filters are at employee price or close to it. Massive savings. We do it twice a year. This month is one of those times. Stock up now!!!! I think it's nationwide, but I know for sure the Spokane area is doing it.

Don't buy the 1521. It's the same filter as a 1515 and twice the cost. I noted that a few posts before. Literally, the same micron rating and everything. It may come up as specified, but you certainly don't need to use it. Especially when the 1515 Ford V8 fits all filter is half the cost.

Did I mention we're having the NAPA filter sale, going on now? All Gold filters are at employee price or close to it. Massive savings. We do it twice a year. This month is one of those times. Stock up now!!!! I think it's nationwide, but I know for sure the Spokane area is doing it.

well I paid 5 dollars for my gold filter at a local store and not online. I did not see your post about the 1515. if you can get the gold filters for less than what i paid I may be interested but then shipping will get me.

Filter sale started yesterday so you might well have gotten the filter sale price. $5 is quite reasonable, normally it's in the $10 range. If you look on the top of your receipt, it should have an account number. If it's 1001 or similar, it's regular walk-in. If it's some other 4 digit, it's probably whatever number the San Francisco store is using to record filter sale volume.

I will check the receipt. the guy did not say anything about sale. just said have to order and it cost this much. I may buy more unless the wix is the same or equivalent as napa stores are not so abundant in my area. Kragen is easy for me as there is one two blocks from my house.

Wait a minute, he had to order it? That's odd. They should have that kind of stuff in stock. Either way, I'd use the 1515 because EVERYONE has a filter available to fit 90% of Ford V8s in the last twenty years.

I'm writing this from the new free laptop which is still faster than my current computer. There are a few glitches and the battery is toast, but that can be fixed. Seems to be hanging up a little right now, but it also could be since it came loaded with a really old version of IE on it. I can type a shitload faster though since the keys are so much closer together. It's freaking sweet!

Wait a minute, he had to order it? That's odd. They should have that kind of stuff in stock. Either way, I'd use the 1515 because EVERYONE has a filter available to fit 90% of Ford V8s in the last twenty years.

I'm writing this from the new free laptop which is still faster than my current computer. There are a few glitches and the battery is toast, but that can be fixed. Seems to be hanging up a little right now, but it also could be since it came loaded with a really old version of IE on it. I can type a shitload faster though since the keys are so much closer together. It's freaking sweet!

Google Chrome. Much faster than IE.

The Napa in my area is super small. almost a mom and pop size. I may look into the 1515 filter # if they have that but not a big deal for me if I have to order it came the next day and I was not in a rush. If I order at least two I have at least one on my shelf for future oil changes. lucky I have used all my Fram oil filters for the wagon.