How NOT to increase port velocity

Z-train

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That shit is the worst crap. Used only by the truly ignorant. I see that shit slathered on 305 timing covers and valve covers all the time. Funny how the manufacturer doesn't use it. Course they might if they put it together with a broken stud like that...

That shit is the worst crap. Used only by the truly ignorant. I see that shit slathered on 305 timing covers and valve covers all the time. Funny how the manufacturer doesn't use it. Course they might if they put it together with a broken stud like that...

motors built by this guy...... (or equivalent)

ricky.jpg

if your not Canadian or just dont get it, google video search "trailer park boys"

GM is the most famous user of RTV silicone sealer. But usually the orange (no-foul) or the black (hi-temp) stuff. It is less expensive then regular gaskets.

Like Pete says if you use the right size (small) bead of RTV Blue, there is no problem. But the regular gaskets work just as well so why bother to put both on???

Yes they are. Today's newer parts are built to closer tolerances and a sheet of paper would make a good h/g (j/k) But yeah I hear you on that. One part number for a tube for thousands of gaskets.

Putting together an L6 I use half a "pea" size of blue RTV.

The only place it should be on there is a very thin layer around the water passage on the front cover gasket.

i work at a parts store and alot of people buy a water pump and a tube of rtv, i always tell them, sir, the water pump comes with the gasket, and then they actually use their head and dont buy the rtv, my managers get mad because i lose the sale but damn some people are just ignorant

There are only 4 things I ever use RTV on. Oil pan, timing cover, water pump, thermostat housing. On the pans, I use Right Stuff, works absolutely great, but a bitch to get off. That's generally the only place I use it, except for that stupid Z20S valve cover gasket that kept leaking. I Right Stuffed that, never leaked again.

Generally I just rub a thin film of ultra copper on both sides of the gasket (just enough to take up any holes or scratches and make it tacky) and make sure to run a finger along the edges to make a ridge in the center so it doesn't spooge out and make massive excess that could get inside the motor. And never, never, NEVER attempt to seal an intake/exhaust gasket with RTV! I can't believe the previous owner did that on your 20b. That's like putting a bead around the carb gasket, you just don't do it!

i knew a guy who swore by using 3M weatherstripping adhesive for his gaskets - the yellow stinky stuff. i ran into a couple other guys who did the same. The reasoning was the adverse effects that gasoline has on RTV - if you've ever used rtv to seal the base gasket on a carb, you know what can happen, so no matter how miniscule the possibibility of getting gas on the stuff, he would never use it. i never had a problem with the way i did things so i never tried it.

personally i use Permatex Moto-Seal when applicable.

http://www.permatex.com/documents/tds/Automotive/29132.pdf

I've never had to run rtv around a carb gasket. Only place I use it is the water pumps, timing covers and oil pans. Intakes only get it around the water ports and in the corners (v8) or corners of timing covers on 4 bangers. Is that why my Dart wont die Jesse? lol

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

There are only 4 things I ever use RTV on. Oil pan, timing cover, water pump, thermostat housing. On the pans, I use Right Stuff, works absolutely great, but a bitch to get off. That's generally the only place I use it, except for that stupid Z20S valve cover gasket that kept leaking. I Right Stuffed that, never leaked again.

Generally I just rub a thin film of ultra copper on both sides of the gasket (just enough to take up any holes or scratches and make it tacky) and make sure to run a finger along the edges to make a ridge in the center so it doesn't spooge out and make massive excess that could get inside the motor. And never, never, NEVER attempt to seal an intake/exhaust gasket with RTV! I can't believe the previous owner did that on your 20b. That's like putting a bead around the carb gasket, you just don't do it!

^^^^^X2 ....I use the Hi-Temp Black Silicone. I find it covers better and has a stronger bonding agent. I skim it and only apply a super thin coat. Never any splooge. I also use a thin bead on the CAM cover on the corners. Every other gasket is dry.

I helped a buddy fix his carb once. When I had it apart I noticed he used RTV on the gaskets. Hahahaha. Duh..The gas melted the RTV and plugged up the carb. He has learned since.

I've never had to run rtv around a carb gasket. Only place I use it is the water pumps, timing covers and oil pans. Intakes only get it around the water ports and in the corners (v8) or corners of timing covers on 4 bangers. Is that why my Dart wont die Jesse? lol

Paul

Don't give away all the secrets! :rolleyes:

i use that right stuff too, only when absolutly needed. vblieve it or not toyota tercel, 1990 used rtv from the factory for the whole oil pan. i rebuilt one for a guy and couldnt find one, i thought the parts idiot was lying, but a call to the dealership found otherwise.