Stereo Setups mounting front speakers

I was wondering how many people have aftermarket stereos in thier cars and more specificaly where did you mount your front speakers.. I had my fronts mounted in my defrost vents when I got my car but now I am going to be adding a heater / ac I pulled them out to make room for the stock ducting. I was going to cut holes in my door panels for 6.5 fronts but noticed the opening in the doors themselves arent very big and the speakers would either have to sit on a 1-2 inch spacer or the door would have to be cut. .. I also dont have room in my kick panel area because of my painless fuse block on one side and my porportioning valve and line lock on the other.... so just curious as to how others have made room for a sweet sounding system...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so just curious as to how others have made room for a sweet sounding system...

mines not all that sweet... :lol:

'they' sell molded door panels to mount speakers in.

id avoid cutting the door panels if they arent already.

thats where mine are. the doors were trimmed in 1 corner to clear the magnet, the window still clears.

for the F, youve listed the common mount areas.

Sweet thanks for the replies guys ... I think in my case I am going to have to cut the door panel one way or another a shame but oh well. I just dont see things fitting into the kick panel area.. I am going to have to make some mounting rings to space the 6.5 speaks out a bit from the door to allow clearance for the magnet to prevent it from hitting the bottom of the window on roll down. Ill let you know how I get on.

got mine mounted in the vents. Got little 3.5 inchers. Not the best, but they do their job and doesn't take a lot of modding. Just sealed off the vents. Everything looks stock like there is nothing there.

Have any pics of this? Sounds interesting.

Here are the fiberglass kicks i made, never finished the amp rack/mount. I intend at some point finish the amp mount, and redesign the kicks for more cubic ft. to help the midbass some.

Open the back of them up into the fenders. No, they won't be sealed any longer, but as long as you have good front and back wave separation they should be better than a too small sealed enclosure.
  • 1 month later...

Here are the fiberglass kicks i made, never finished the amp rack/mount. I intend at some point finish the amp mount, and redesign the kicks for more cubic ft. to help the midbass some.

Hey Sanity have you done anything to your fiberglass kicks yet? I would recomend stuffing them with polyfill. I love this stuff. Cheep way to squeeze more bass from a small box. Only good for sealed enclosures. Not many people know about this method. I read about it 10yrs or so ago and have used it lots. works wonders!

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/1348/ultimate-polyfill-subwoofer-enclosure-resource

Hey Sanity have you done anything to your fiberglass kicks yet? I would recomend stuffing them with polyfill. I love this stuff. Cheep way to squeeze more bass from a small box. Only good for sealed enclosures. Not many people know about this method. I read about it 10yrs or so ago and have used it lots. works wonders!

http://www.audiojunk...losure-resource

I have not worked on the kicks at all. I do know about poly fill. It is recommended for the subwoofer I just picked up. Its a Stereo Integrity BM MKIII. The pictures dont do it justice. Recommended enclosure is 0.5 cubic ft w/ polyfill

DSC01917.jpg

DSC01918.jpg

DSC01919.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering how many people have aftermarket stereos in thier cars and more specificaly where did you mount your front speakers.. I had my fronts mounted in my defrost vents when I got my car but now I am going to be adding a heater / ac I pulled them out to make room for the stock ducting. I was going to cut holes in my door panels for 6.5 fronts but noticed the opening in the doors themselves arent very big and the speakers would either have to sit on a 1-2 inch spacer or the door would have to be cut. .. I also dont have room in my kick panel area because of my painless fuse block on one side and my porportioning valve and line lock on the other.... so just curious as to how others have made room for a sweet sounding system...

Hey Ben how's the stereo coming? I have 5&1/4's in my doors and they sound great. I too was ify about cuting my door panels but decided to go for it. My speeks are deep with a large magnet so they have 1/2" mdf "spacers". I recomend some deadening material like dynamat if you want it to sound good.

Rich

PB010767.jpg

PB010766.jpg

PB010765.jpg

Just curious. Does any know how mounting a speaker close to the or highe up by the dash affects the accoustics?

Also angled up down sideways?

What would be the ideal way to mount speakers for the best sound?

Depends on what you are running, I am using a Zapco DC 650.6 a set of Zapco Comp 6.5's on 10 gauge wire and 2" on 12 gauge wire with a couple of Zapco IForce 10" Subs on 8 gauge wire. This amp is for SQ, sound quality not SPL, and requires a laptop to program everything. So how picky do you want? The mids are ok at the floor kicks with a bit of angle to the drivers' head and the tweets need to be more or less directly aimed at the head and if you can adjust for delay+distance they can be nearly anywhere. Subs do not matter if you have one or two, anyone tells you there is a such thing as stereo bass needs to learn a bit more about accoustics. Anything under 80 hertz is difficult to tell where it is comin from anyway. The one thing you MUST remember! The box has to be built+tuned to match the speaker!! You can bend that rule to a point but not far. But you primary issue that alot of people forget, is feed your amps!! oversize your powerwire, good same size but short length grounds, and most of all good battery and altenator! I have an 8 gauge wire to the deck and 4 gauge to the amp. You can overpower you speakers if you have good CLEAN power. Distortion will kill your speakers faster than anything. Crossover points need to be correct as well, send each speaker only the sounds it is suposed to play. Feel free to pm me if you need more help.

Depends on what you are running, I am using a Zapco DC 650.6 a set of Zapco Comp 6.5's on 10 gauge wire and 2" on 12 gauge wire with a couple of Zapco IForce 10" Subs on 8 gauge wire. This amp is for SQ, sound quality not SPL, and requires a laptop to program everything. So how picky do you want? The mids are ok at the floor kicks with a bit of angle to the drivers' head and the tweets need to be more or less directly aimed at the head and if you can adjust for delay+distance they can be nearly anywhere. Subs do not matter if you have one or two, anyone tells you there is a such thing as stereo bass needs to learn a bit more about accoustics. Anything under 80 hertz is difficult to tell where it is comin from anyway. The one thing you MUST remember! The box has to be built+tuned to match the speaker!! You can bend that rule to a point but not far. But you primary issue that alot of people forget, is feed your amps!! oversize your powerwire, good same size but short length grounds, and most of all good battery and altenator! I have an 8 gauge wire to the deck and 4 gauge to the amp. You can overpower you speakers if you have good CLEAN power. Distortion will kill your speakers faster than anything. Crossover points need to be correct as well, send each speaker only the sounds it is suposed to play. Feel free to pm me if you need more help.

Well I think I found someone finally that knows sound!!!

Elmer I will have many questions for you when I get to the point of doing sound. I fust set the motor in and thought it was all dialed in. I found out different. I have to move the motro back an inch mod firewal mod radiator support and swap out and mod steering to clear. So it will be a little longer time getting into the sound. When I do do sound I am aiming at sound quality. I want some thing I can listen to and enjoy the highs lows and mids. I want no distortion as I think it sounds like crap!!!