My lil mule

elmerfudpucker

Yeah workin two jobs and giving your money to landlord is brutal for you in the long run,, glad you have it a little easier now man...You should think about planting a small vegetable garden in the spring ,,I know it sounds boring and sucky but a tomato sandwich made with vine fresh maters ,,,damn...And it`s very zen to sit and watch your sprinkler for hours in the summer,, it will add years to your soul..

Anyways... :lol:

What color are you thinking for the rig ??

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well money may get better soon, had to pay off the GF's truck, the car dude really pissed me off so I cashed him out and told him to go #$%^ himself. I hauled a display case to the Lexington Peddlers mall (booth # 86, go in the front door and turn right, case has swords and smoking accessories DMT+Ratsun Members hollar at me for a discount) and got it set up, so my Lil Mule got to come out during the break in the weather. Meanwhile I am DD the GF Dodge for now, KY uses way too much salt so the Mule will stay in the stable till it clears up. Trying to get the apartment over the garage remodeled so I can rent it out. way too many things on my plate....

• 2 months later...

Well I guess it is not my day, backed up and ran a trash can over, passenger rear tail light assembly is now fubared. I bent everything back and pieced the lens back together, I am not very happy at the moment, my parts truck is an 85, different bed so I put the call to the Pumpkin and he said he would look. I thought I had a spare set of lenses but I can't find them and I dont have the metal bracket either, this sucks.  :(

OK, this is what I have.

DSCN1283.JPG

DSCN1284.JPG

DSCN1285.JPG

I have seen better, but this is what I have, even though it is rusty around the holes, all the springs work inside the holes, but I would think they should be media blasted before use, I have never tried this to see if it works.

DSCN1289.JPG

The photo below I used PB blaster on, I couldn't see the metal buttons/contacts for the bulb until I did.

DSCN1290.JPG

I don't have the metal part for the passenger side, if your housing is good I can just send the lenses.

• 1 month later...

Well my tail lens issue is on the way to being solved. I decided to give the Mule a new face, what do you all think?

striped:

20130518_151601_zps420245b3.jpg

and from this:

IMG_20120626_205837.jpg

and done, sort of, gotta tweak a few parts.

20130518_162457_zps7dbd011b.jpg

Swapped the bumper for now, this one has steel end caps, little bent but better than the old one:

20130518_160850_zps23928860.jpg

gonna give this a run and see if I like it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the taillights 420n620! good packing and it was as offered! still need a drivers lens tho, anyone?

glad to help elmer.

I'll keep an eye out for a left lens and a better left TL housing. 

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Ok to better explain the madness I will start with what sent me in this tangent. I want to let everyone know there is no rush, I want to do this right the first time. I seen an oic of a Datto tow truck, it is reason I named my truck, "My lil Mule", and one of these days I will build one. And on top of that I have been poked more than one of you with" you have most of the parts, build the LZ!"

I have seen the 720 Datto motorhomes with L20's but havent seen one with a z yet, kinda like the 40' shark you know they are out there but never get to see it. But I also understand the Z22 bottom to have more torque and the L head makes the power. I also seem to remember reading somewhere that Datto RV's had a special cam usually in a peanut head. So I figure a rv cam + L head + Z22 bottom (avoiding the overheating issues of the Z24 bottom) and that would do the trick. I am looking for more power in the 2.5-3k range, for one day an old ass 81 720 KC is gonna back up to a bigger ride, pop a tow rig off the back, and haul it off!

Motor is part one of the puzzle, I figure a transfer case with the front link redone for a PTO will be part two, then the monster H233 LSD rear axle with disks and four link will be part three. The tow rig will be built when I get the truck done. That will be the easy part in comparison to the rest ;) Anyone that has ideas on the motor build is welcome to say your peace if you have the experience to back it up. Even if you don't know but have a link, (I got the grey #'s already thank you) to a interesting LZ build, please drop it here. 

I know I can VG, turbo, supercharger and all that but the LZ setup intrigues me to the point of I can do that with most of what I already have and I don't have to loose the truck (my DD) to the garage for long stretches of time.  

Well I have a Z22 and a Z24

There are 4 Frankenstein Motor setups that have caught my eye from the grey page I have been poking thru. I am still looking for the right match, I am looking for more low + mid range torque for the truck for pulling and hauling more reliably. Plus I don't have shit else to do out here with my money at the moment other than buy more guns.

So what one would best fill the bill to give me more tugging power for my Lil Mule and hopefully make it a bit more bulletproof against the downward torque of my right foot?

Shamelessly stolen info from another thread, that was pulled from someone else...and so on...

Keep in mind I still need whatever L20, vg, or ka parts that would be called for.

Frankenstein motors: 

I think this would be the best for what I have on hand atm.
Medium block 2.4 Liter. 
Parts: modified Z22 block, modified Z24 crank, modified Z24 pistons, Z22S/ L20B rods 
s/2+r+p: 227.7 
piston deck height: 0.45 (above deck) 

Wondering if my z22 block is that much different from a z20?
Stroker 2.3 Liter 
Parts: Z24 crank, Z22E pistons, Z22S/ L20B rods in a Z22 block or +2mm bored Z20/L20B block. 
s/2+r+p= 96/2+145.9+32.1= 226.0 mm 
piston deck height: -1.45mm below deck 

looks good here due to my z22 is already bored
Big Bore 2.3L Parts: Z22 crank, KA24 pistons, Z22S/ L20B rods in a +2mm bored Z22 block or +4mm Z20/L20B block. 

s/2+r+p= 92/2+145.9+34.0= 225.9 mm 
piston deck height: -1.55mm below deck 

I need the pistons and rods, but doesn't seem that bulletproof, isnt this for "all out" racing?...but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.
Longrod 2.19L/2.24L 

This engine with custom 89mm pistons is rumored to be the basis for the "rebello 2.3L". 

parts: Z22 crankshaft, Z22 block, Z20E rods, milled VG30E pistons. 
s/2+r+p: 227.5mm 
piston deck height: +0.05mm (above block) 

So those of you that have built such, please step up and toss me your 2 cents via PM please. Or point me to who does know. I am not in a rush, like always! lol, but I think it would be a great deal to have just prior to the truck getting a paintjob! And yes that is in the works too!

I guess I went the easy way, Z22E block/crank/rods, Z24 stock pistons, with a W53 head with 260Z valves and a stock L20b cam, this setup has torque, as you have seen the loads of wood I haul with this 521 work truck, but on the hiway with the trailer it just doesn't get good mileage, and top speed is about 80mph, keep in mind that I am moving a bunch of weight.

When this truck is empty, it's a different story, I broke my speedo needle off breaking it in, it goes real good empty, even though I have 437 gears in the rear, and it's also a dually, I feel good going about 75/80, this is what I towed about 6 months ago, it was a piece of cake, I went 65mph most the trip home without any scary moments.

DSCN0597.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Hey man i never found that extra storage box thing in the front shed,, and was wondering ( cuz i'm to lazy to go look) does it just pry out or is it bolted or clipped from the back somehow??  Now i could just go out and look but with this new high speed internet i should be able to do it from the PC ,,,,,,,,,,,,, right?

DONOVAN !!

:rofl:

After a few days, half a can of WD40, a pile of air tools and several bandaids, I now have all the parts I need except the power windows to make my 720 a fully loaded one! WOOHOO!! My lil Mule will come out of the garage next spring with power steering, tilt column, and AC! Now if I could only find the power window regulators and door switches...

• Like 1