Project N320 "N" for not sure

Bob3

I got my boys to help me move the 1963 320 into the main shop today. I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm thinking stock for the most part. Lower it some and get some good brakes on it.

Here are some pics . . .

Project320Hmmmmm003.jpg

Project320Hmmmmm004.jpg

Project320Hmmmmm002.jpg

Project320Hmmmmm001.jpg

Project320Hmmmmm006.jpg

Project320Hmmmmm005.jpg

This and finishing up the MX520 should keep me out of trouble all winter!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought this and the 520 from the same guy at the same time in 2008. I had them both in the main shop. I started on this one first, but the 520 was really growing on me. Obviously the 520 won that fight. Now it's winter again and I've decided to get this one running. I'm not going to go crazy, I don't think? I'd like to drive one of these with the column shift. I wonder if the 1.3 motor from the 520 would work with this trans, or if I should just drive it stock?

The nice thing is it is rust free!

Good brakes for certain. Lowered....coilovers front and rear, with a proper triangulated 4 link on the rear. And a turboed/intercooled 13B rotary/5speed into 4.37 gears. Personally, I would ditch the bed for a stepside bed with the round trailer fenders.

But that's just me....

Crabby

I cleaned all of the junk out of the bed, installed 3" lowering blocks in the rear and put the wheels on that came on my '78 620kc. I also adjusted the front bars as far as I could to lower it some. I still need to re-index the front bars to get it down some more. I did a little work on the R/F fender dent too.

What do you think?

project320001.jpg

project320009.jpg

project320007.jpg

project320005.jpg

project320002.jpg

project320003.jpg

Dang man, you did a hell of a job pounding that dent out. Looks pretty good. I say leave it flat/satin black, lower it more, and do kind of a lowrider thing to go with your scallops on the bed. No need for a motor swap then, be cruisin slow anyhows. Kind of a rat-rod lowrider. You already have a fast pickup with the MX520, so you don't need another one.

Looks like a nice start!

I love the garage the most... I dream of a garage like that!

The wheels are great too. I finally found a set after looking for a couple years. I still need to polish mine up and put some tires on them. I also need to find some center caps that will work on them. But I like the look of those on the 320's. Can you tell me what size tires are on your truck right now? Also if you know, what size those wheels are? 15x7 I'm guessing? I'm just trying to decide on what size tires I want to put on my wheels. I really like the look of my stock steel wheels and caps, but sometimes I want to change it up a bit and go with the slotted mags. :)

Thanks,

Dale - AZ_L320

I really like the slots on your L320. For informational purposes, the J-13 will bolt right up to the stock trans, the only piece you will most likely have to swap is the bellhousing adapter plate. This is the plate that is between the flywheel and the block. The E-1 and the J-13 have the same block bolt pattern, so the plate from the E-1 will go right up to the J-13 and then you can bolt up the J-13 to the column shift 4 speed. You may have to use the E-1 flywheel and starter, but that will become evident when you pull the two apart. My 1963 NL320 has a later J-13 to the column shifted 4 spd and runs like a dream.

I really like the slots, since that is what is on my 66 520 ;-)

Have fun working on the datsuns, as I wish I had mine here in Alaska, and a shop like yours too...

Garry

I really like the slots on your L320. For informational purposes, the J-13 will bolt right up to the stock trans, the only piece you will most likely have to swap is the bellhousing adapter plate. This is the plate that is between the flywheel and the block. The E-1 and the J-13 have the same block bolt pattern, so the plate from the E-1 will go right up to the J-13 and then you can bolt up the J-13 to the column shift 4 speed. You may have to use the E-1 flywheel and starter, but that will become evident when you pull the two apart. My 1963 NL320 has a later J-13 to the column shifted 4 spd and runs like a dream.

I really like the slots, since that is what is on my 66 520 ;-)

Have fun working on the datsuns, as I wish I had mine here in Alaska, and a shop like yours too...

Garry

Thanks for the great post!

Happy New Year Garry

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old but here is my two cents. I say you should have an extra set of dog dish or stock rims to put some thick white walls then give it a lower stance either way. I would love to see more well maintained Japanese cars with a rat rod appeal to them.

+1 on that garage. If I were still single I could seriously see myself sleeping or rooming in the garage it's so clean.

It is still tucked away waiting for it's turn under my knife! :D

The problem is I now have 13 Datto's and my current focus is 510's. I'll soon get the truck bug again and roll it into my lab.

• 3 weeks later...