The Silver Bullet - My Z Car (lots of Pics)

qwik510

Well I am finally getting around to posting some pics of my Z car.

Several of you have asked me to do this but I have been way too lazy until now so finally, here I am sitting around on a snowy Saturday night posting this.

When I was younger, I used to own a Z and I always wanted another one so in 2002 I started looking for one. I probably looked at about 10-12 cars and most of the ones in this area were rusty. I hate rust and being on the east coast, I have had my share of rusty Datsuns. I decided that finding a rust free car was the most important thing to look for in my search.

I posted wanted ads on several Z car sites and a well known Z car enthusiast, Carl Beck, told me of a car he thought matched what I was looking for. He put me in touch with the owner. The car was located in NJ but it was a California car all its life until 2002 when the owner took a job on the East Coast.

The previous owner used to work for Petersen Publishing as a technical editor for several of their publications including Chevy High Performance and a couple of others I can't recall right now. He completely rebuilt the car. He kept the body stock, installed a nicely built L28 with SU's, Competition oil pan and headers, 5 speed and a Nismo R180 LSD. The emblems were shaved and all chrome euro bumpers were installed. A set of BWA wheels and talbot side mirrors finished it off.

After months of back and forth, I finally drove up to see it in July 2003. After checking it out and taking it for a test drive, we worked out a deal and I bought it. I drove it home 200 miles and it was great.

This is what it looked like when I got it.

4628My_240Z.jpg

4628img_0071.jpg

4628engine1.jpg

I took it to the Z car convention in New Hampshire in 2003 and got to meet Mr. K

4628MrK.jpg

That was a great trip but when I got my ass handed to me by a Turbo Subaru on the ride up from Maryland to New Hampshire, I knew I could not wait to start modifying it.:eek:

I never liked the BWA wheels so I sold them and installed some Konig Rewinds 14" x 7" as one of the first things I did to it.

4628My_LS1_240Z_Swap_001.jpg

I had plans to modify it before I even bought it and as nice as it was, it needed more power.

Before:

4628My_LS1_240Z_Swap_004.jpg

So out with the old:

4628My_LS1_240Z_Swap_030.jpg

4628My_LS1_240Z_Swap_020.jpg

Lots of cool engines can fit in that cavern:

4628My_LS1_240Z_Swap_023.jpg

So with all the choices, I decided I liked TORQUE:cool:

I went out and bought this::D

4628My_LS1_Motor_at_home_001.jpg

2002 LS1 with 20K miles on it.

In with the New:

No Shoe Horn needed:D

4628My_LS1_240Z_Swap_050.jpg

4628My_LS1_240Z_Swap_051.jpg

As you can see in the pics, it had a 4L60E auto trans that came with it. I installed it with the auto trans but as the car sat in my garage, it just didn't feel right. I just couldn't come to grips with owning a sports car with an automatic. So I picked up a T56 six speed:D

Well after lots of work, the car was finally back on the road in August 2005.

2007-zcon-03-0068B.jpg

2007-zcon-03-0070.jpg

On_the_Road_240Z_LS1_and_510_godbye_053.jpg

Here are the details:

1972 240Z, 2002 LS1 with T56 six speed, Sanderson Headers, Infiniti Q45 R200 VLSD Diff with Billet axles/CV halfshafts, Vintage Air HVAC heat and AC, Recaro seats, Alpine Stereo, Coilovers, Tokico 5 ways, Custom Strut Tower Bars F&R, front to rear full Subframe Connectors, 16" Panasports and more!

New_Evo_Seats_020.jpg

On_the_Road_240Z_LS1_and_510_godbye_058.jpg

On_the_Road_240Z_LS1_and_510_godbye_056.jpg

Q45_Rear_Diff_Install_001.jpg

On_the_Road_240Z_LS1_and_510_godbye_051.jpg

Z_Convention_021.jpg

It has been on the road for over 4 years now. It is a blast to drive and still puts a smile on my face every time I take it out. It has been extremely reliable and gets great gas mileage too. I have gotten 31MPG on the highway. The 6 speed makes that possible.

It made 340RWHP and 365RWT and has run the quarter mile at 12.8

I have done many track days in it and it performs Beautifully.

A friend named it the Silver Bullet after I took him for a ride.

I love my Silver Bullet. It is fast and fun and everything I had hoped it would be.

• Like 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice car David. I wish I could of seen it and rode in it when I was up that way!

You can come up anytime. I will be happy to take you for a scary fast ride that will make you want to turn up the boost on your dime:fu::D

Torque is an amazing thing:cool:

CORVETTE ENGINE! mr k would be disgusted. put a Q45 infiniti engine in that biatch! She is a pretty ride tho:)

Actually, MR. K loved it. He said "ooh, Corvette Engine" and he smiled and gave it a big thumbs up and even autographed it. He first saw it at the 2003 Z convention with the L28 and then again at the 2005 Z Convention with the new V8 swap.

Once during an interview, Mr. K was asked " If you could change one thing about the original 240Z, what would it be?" He replied " I would have given it More Power!"

And that is just what I did:D

I had actually considered the Nissan V8 but the LS1 is so much more of a drivetrain. Better power, better mileage and better aftermarket support.

modern day scarab now have some real fun and super charge that ls1!!!

I have dreamed of it many times but I am already traction limited and I don't want to cut the body to put wider tires, I have 225-50-16's on now, so I don't think spending $3500 for a supercharger and another 125 HP will be a wise investment. It would be alot of bling though:cool:

Awesome swap!! The LS is a very good engine choice I think, American shit has way more aftermarket support and comes stock with gobs of HP. I've been trying to talk Frank into getting an LS2 for his 510!

Dave that is a great looking Z. I hope to make mine as clean as yours less the LS1. do you still have the original motor? I am glad you enjoy that car everytime you drive it. a great feeling. feel the same way about my cars.

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry but I sold the drivetrain right after I pulled it.

Awesome swap!! The LS is a very good engine choice I think, American shit has way more aftermarket support and comes stock with gobs of HP. I've been trying to talk Frank into getting an LS2 for his 510!

Thanks!

Don't try LSx into a dime. It will not be a good swap. Several have tried none have succeeded.

Way clean swap and nice job on ditchin' the Konigs for the Panasports!

Thanks!

The konigs were nice and fit with stock brakes but when I added the 13" brakes, I needed larger wheels so the 16" Panasports were the best choice for that classic look.

Actually, MR. K loved it. He said "ooh, Corvette Engine" and he smiled and gave it a big thumbs up and even autographed it. He first saw it at the 2003 Z convention with the L28 and then again at the 2005 Z Convention with the new V8 swap.

Once during an interview, Mr. K was asked " If you could change one thing about the original 240Z, what would it be?" He replied " I would have given it More Power!

That right there is sig worthy!!!

• 8 months later...

Went out for a great cruise in the Z yesterday. It was 75 degrees, Sunny and no humidity.

What a perfect day for a drive. Saw a nice looking Lady in a Lotus Elise. Lots of people out cruising their classics.

Came home and washed the car and put it back away in the garage. Fall is coming so I can't wait for lots more fun cruises.

I need to schedule another track day soon. Everytime I drive it, I miss the track.

Just had to share.

there any reason to this ? .. Dont kill my dreams :blink:

The few that have tried LSx swaps into 510s have ruined their 510s and turned decent cars into parts cars. Then engine compartment is too small so the firewall and trans tunnel need major mods to do it. Unless you do like Pete Brock did with Datzilla and move the entire engine and trans back and move the seats back behind the B pillar, then there is too much weight up front and it will ruin the handling of the car.

The Z car has a much more accommodating engine bay for a V8 swap.

I used to own a 510 V8. Sold it and built the Z car. Much better swap.

Just Saying'

David