Project possible(ish)

Alright fellas. I might have found a chassis so, if that goes through step one will be complete. :D

Now I am looking at the 4.2 i6 with 4L60E and 8.5 with 3.42s for a drive train. I do realize this will require a bit firewall loss. But how hard do you think it will be for me to get this combo into this tiny truck??? Can anyone provide me the dimensions for the rear end space in these trucks? I'm kinda throwin this together with out having a clue of what I can actually make fit. But I would like to have some sorta game plan.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to see a good truck cut up for a mere engine swap. Doesn't GM make a V6?

Have you done this before?

What are your fabrication skills?

Can you use, and do you have a welder?

Access to the tools needed for this kind of job?

Do you have the funds to see this through? (rear end shortened, exhaust system, drive shaft, custom rad.....)

...or will this end up as an unfinished project that no-one will buy and it get parted out?

Do you have the funds to see this through? (rear end shortened, exhaust system, drive shaft, custom rad.....)

...or will this end up as an unfinished project that no-one will buy and it get parted out?

SHE does have the skills or has friends that have the skills. There is another thread with a few trucks she has done. Including a v8 s10. You just need to put a V8 in that truck. haha

Here's the link to the other thread.....http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=17239

Edited by 72 327

Kinda being a dick there don't you think? I am getting a chassis that was junk yard bound (or close to). Second it wouldn't matter my qualification.. I'm not asking permission, I'm asking for advice because I've never worked on THIS truck before.

I highly doubt anything I say will make you feel that I am qualified, and I'm fine with that. :fu: I have never been to school for this, I dont have a daddy whos into cars, just me, my collection of tools and a desire to tear shitt apart(learn).

This will be a learning experience for me...but I think I can handle it just like the rest of my projects which I have completed.

This is also not JUST an engine swap.. and even if it was, the engine I have chosen would make a wonderful quarter mile adversary. I plan on having it lay out. AND YES.. I have experience with such challenges.

So now that you realize Im a bitchh when some asss puffs his chest at me.. Would you like to offer any USEFUL advise or are you just going to continue playing the roll of the forum douche?:rolleyes:

Drop in a Vortec 4.3L v6 easy to find and that tranny will work. My other truck has a turbocharged V6 4.3L motor and if you want some more power out of it parts are easy to find.

Ive owned six of the v4.3 I am not interested in doing another one. I havn't played to much with the i6 which is why I am choosing it. Which its actually going to be easier than the original thought of throwing in a merc diesel. :D

the 4200 is more than 1hp per sq" and is something I could put on propane when I get that far. It is a torque heavy engine that will help me make this truck mean. :cool:

Drop in a Vortec 4.3L v6 easy to find and that tranny will work. My other truck has a turbocharged V6 4.3L motor and if you want some more power out of it parts are easy to find.

x2 i personally think this would be the best swap if you want to put a chevy power plant in any datto vehicle that was originally a L4 it would fit perfect and with somthing as light as a 510 or a 620 you couldnt touch it plenty of power and plenty of tourqe

if you wanna run an inline 6 get an apache like in you sig i have a 56 chevy with a 235 I6 i havent decided if i want to keep it and hot rod it or just say fuck it and go 572

Edited by bonvo

Oh, wow, you're putting it into a 620? I think that's gonna be a bit of a quest. You're gonna have to do some major surgery on the firewall. But it's no way impossible(especially if that's what you really want!).

As far as the rear end, I'm not sure the exact dimensions, but I think that they use a rear end that's pretty close the the same one as the 521's(may be the same housing, not sure). And the 521's use the same one as the wagon, if I'm not mistaken. I have heard that it's fairly common for guys that have wagons to swap in a Ford 9". Makes getting an LSD cheaper and gives a little more stoutness. So.. all that to say, that it's probably not too far off of the dimensions of a Ford 9", or if you were gonna go that route anyway, it's totally do-able.

Hope it helps, good luck with the project.

Kinda being a dick there don't you think? I am getting a chassis that was junk yard bound (or close to). Second it wouldn't matter my qualification.. I'm not asking permission, I'm asking for advice because I've never worked on THIS truck before.

I highly doubt anything I say will make you feel that I am qualified, and I'm fine with that. :fu: I have never been to school for this, I dont have a daddy whos into cars, just me, my collection of tools and a desire to tear shitt apart(learn).

This will be a learning experience for me...but I think I can handle it just like the rest of my projects which I have completed.

This is also not JUST an engine swap.. and even if it was, the engine I have chosen would make a wonderful quarter mile adversary. I plan on having it lay out. AND YES.. I have experience with such challenges.

So now that you realize Im a bitchh when some asss puffs his chest at me.. Would you like to offer any USEFUL advise or are you just going to continue playing the roll of the forum douche?:rolleyes:

<3 ;)

Not a 620, but it is (was) an L series powered car (L6 not L4)... This motor's HUGE!

http://forums.hybridz.org/showpost.php?p=952613&postcount=75

That said, I'm gonna guess you wanna keep it in the bow-tie family?

Why not one of those nifty Turbo Ecotech motors out of those Hideous roadsters? Those things scoot!

Or an LSx. An LSx in a 620 would just be silly. Do it.

this tread is not going the way you had hoped.....i love the sound of a push rod inline motor and you already know what you have to do to make it work....firewall,motor and trans mounts, narrow the rear end,bags all the way around and that motor at best in stock trim is 291hp with 271 ft torque..you can get that from a v8......but on the scale of not been seen before you get a 10...i say go for it

Thanks fastdadd you see what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for something that is gonna break 9s in a quarter mile. I'm not looking for something easy. I'm not looking for the prettiest truck on the block. NOW. The fact that I can get the same hp and tq outa this inline as I can a v8 is one reason I am going for it. Like I said Im not looking for nothing but speed, I simply want a respectable motor for it, something you dont see every day (which this thread makes me pretty confident that I wont see another 620 with this drive train any time soon lol) I have done my fair share of SBC swaps, and see them on every block corner lol.

Thanks again fastdadd :)

If you wana turn some heads with a motor that might fit you could consider the 20B rotary I wouldn't say they are a dime a dozen, least here in the south. Not going to argue on whats the better motor as the real thing that makes a fast car is money thrown at it.

again, not looking for the quickest ride... also again, not looking to leave the bow tie family which especially means no Doritos lol.

How is the structure of these trucks? Can anyone give me any insight one their truck builds? Are there any especially difficult areas/jobs when it come to cutting into these trucks?

again, not looking for the quickest ride... also again, not looking to leave the bow tie family which especially means no Doritos lol.

How is the structure of these trucks? Can anyone give me any insight one their truck builds? Are there any especially difficult areas/jobs when it come to cutting into these trucks?

Oh I doubt the 20B would beat the V8 trucks, just was a suggestion on the uniqueness factor. As for what bow-tie engine I'd go for I'm kinda partial to the 2.8L from the 80's... Most call it a lame duck but you can make some nice power from them after stroking and boring the engine.

I think it would be cool if you could find one of those inline 5 engines chevy makes. lol

if you do choose to go the 4.2 route ,,please give us some dimensions, bellhousing boltpattern and static compression ratios ,,as i could not find clear info on this eng,,thanks,,this looks like an interesting thread,,

keep us posted on your progress,,it doesn't sound like the ney-sayers can dissuade you,,which is refreshing

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't done as many builds as you have, my only other build was a 65 Chevy truck with a 292 in it. BUT, I did read on this forum, and some book (but I forgot which one) that the frames are the ladder-type which is popular style for rodders. I suggest you look at Bob3's "MX520 Top Secret" build and impala_631 "bagged 67 520"for some ideas on frame and some of the challenges they encountered.

Some good advice that I had received was around the VIN plates and ensuring that the body plate and the frame plate stay together, but I'm sure that is old hat to you..

The frame dimensions are on olddatsuns.com I think. http://www.olddatsuns.com/index.htm

I'm wondering how this is going? Do you have everything plotted out now? Is this thread going to be subscription worthy? I don't doubt your ability, but with the amount of direction you posted in your first post, I wonder about the steam you have for this project. I think your engine choice is yours to make and I think you can make it work.

From what I can see from your link above, there's nothing in a Datsun that you cannot handle, so git to it girl!!!:cool: