I wish i was alive in the 70's

cheg

Hey Bill the average mileage in a Cadillac in 1950 was just over 20mpg. Twenty years later it was half that.

I had a 340 Dart and could fill the 15 Imperial gallon tank for $5. That's about 32 cents a gal. for premium! Fuck those were the days!!!! Tank of gas and a 24 of Labatts 50 for about $10. FTMFW

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortunate my dad had a open mind about cars as when i wanted my first car my dad would not let me get just anything. I wanted a 240Z and he loved it. He sprayed the car for me and helped me swap a 280 motor when the 240 motor died. I really missed that car. learned a lot off that car on top of learning to drive. It was because of my dad's do it yourself background from that era helped me enjoy cars and life lessons that came with it.

Hey Bill the average mileage in a Cadillac in 1950 was just over 20mpg. Twenty years later it was half that.

I had a 340 Dart and could fill the 15 Imperial gallon tank for $5. That's about 32 cents a gal. for premium! Fuck those were the days!!!! Tank of gas and a 24 of Labatts 50 for about $10. FTMFW

And that's when LaBatts was made up north.It sucked as soon as they started making here in the states.

I graduated high school in 1974. My first job at 17 in '73 was working for a Chevy dealership part time, sweeping the service dept. floor, doing New Car Prep, service dept. car jockey, cleaning restrooms, etc. My first car was a '65 Pontiac Catalina 2 door hardtop with a 2bbl 389 V8, Auto Trans and cloth bench interior. I paid $600.00 cash for it. It had a Walker dual exhaust system and an AM/FM stereo cobbled in the dash from a Lincoln. Of course, the 8 track player in the glovebox was blasting Aerosmith "Get Your Wings". With a 21.5 Gallon gas tank, I went through two tanks of gas just cruising on a weekend. After two failed attempts at college, I joined the US Navy in 1976. I bought my first Datsun, a '77 F10 in 1982.

Dan

I heard the other day that Francis Ford Coppola bought the rights many years ago to the Jack Kerouac novel On the Road and is in the process of making a movie of it. I fantasize that these were the good old days... but I wasn't there so it's just a fantasy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Road

This should be required reading for kids coming up. On the subject of required reading should be Tom Wolfe's stuff; The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby and Electric Cool-aid Acid Test. I was here for this stuff and these were the good old days for me. Had no idea at the time because everything seemed like it was coming apart at the the seams getting crazy.

I'm waiting for them to make a movie about Ken Kesey and the Pranksters, the transition from the Beatnik era to the Hippie era. By the '70s everybody had seen Woodstock and read Electric Cool-Aid and wanted to get in on the party, but all that was already ancient history.

In the '60s here were two kinds of people, strait people and hip people. If you are coming up today, it is really hard to imagine how up tight and straight people in America were, but Donna Reed and Leave it to Beaver was what it was like. Hip people were way in the minority and pretty much underground. By the time the '70s came around everybody wanted to be hip, but they weren't OG hip, just plastic imitations of '60s hip. They saw it on TV and read about it in Rolling Stone.

The '70s were a kind of a blast however. You could roll out of clubs drunk on your ass and drive home never worrying if you were going to get pulled over, ounce bags of Columbian weed were $15, OZs of good peruvian flake were $900... chicks were all taking birth control pills, there was no AIDS and you could have multiple girl friends and probably not get into trouble. A brand new 240Z was less than three grand.

Clubs were packed. People went out to party. I remember some of the places my band worked in, I couldn't even get into the men's bathroom during the break, because there was a line waiting for the chicks to finish doing coke in the toilet stalls.

I was 21 when I bought my 620 and gas was getting rationed. Stations were running out and closing. There were gas lines and you could only buy gas if the last digit of you plate was even or odd and the date was even or odd. Then people didn't bitch so much when they jacked the price up to $.48 a gallon. When it went to $.52 around '75, the end of the world was in sight. It took five bucks to fill up the truck!! But, you didn't have to wait in lines.

I guess you could say that these will be the good old days if you are young and don't have any memory or knowledge of anything else. It seems to me everything is going down hill at warp speed. Hard to imagine how these will ever be the good old days. Would that mean that shit is just going to continue to get more fucked up to make this bullshit look good?

Scotty!!! Mutherfuker, beam my ass back to the 1970 so I could get me a Ferarri 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spider for $9000, or a Ferarri Dino 246 GT for less than $7K.

just spent a couple of hours reliving my childhood by watching Looney Tunes on cartoon network. whatever little bit I know about classical music I learned from Bugs, Daffy and Elmer :lol:.

WB re-released Looney Tunes UN-CUT and UN-EDITED!!Check Amazon.com,but make sure you're looking at the un-cut version.

WB re-released Looney Tunes UN-CUT and UN-EDITED!!Check Amazon.com,but make sure you're looking at the un-cut version.

I know they edited the heck out of Tom and Jerry :(. His African-American housekeeper used to sound a bit more old school 'urban' than she does in the modern airing of the episodes. She's gone from mammy to Maya Angelou.

Figbuck hit it right on the head. Sitting in high school looking up girl's short skirts and hoping you didn't get drafted in a couple of months. The TV had us convinced that life was short, so anything went. And even after all the abuses, most of us survived. The whole world tried to scare us about acid deforming our kids, long hair would somehow tag us as a "FAG", reading certain books would lead us towards communism, we were all going to get VD and our dicks would fall off, and those cheap import cars were death traps. Not very different from now. Fox news warns us of the country going belly up any minute. The minute our young people head over to one of the war zones, an IED will be placed under them. Smoking will kill everyone around the smoker the very minute he lights up. Altering fom the Christian right will tag you as unAmerican. And if we all drive around with 8 tons of Plastic and steel battery powered pick-ups, polar bears will still have plenty of ice to sit on. The best part of the 70's for me, was not having a clue what a colonoscopy was.:mellow:

Oh My God John (Datrod)...if you don't remember the 70s think bout me....I was already in my 30s been to the "Jungle" twice had two kids and .......sh*t I just realized that I AM OLD............................................was a really great decade.

I graduated in '74.I drove a '72-1/2 Toyota Hilux.Most kid's

drove V8's.

240Z's we're $3500 + (in '70),a 1200 was $2100 + in '73).

It was a great time to grow up in, for those of us that weren't

into drugs/alcohol.Gas was 25 cents a gallon in '72.

Thec '70's were vry affordable,but about '77 things started

getting more expensive.I bought a '77 Toyota Sr5 Longbed,it

was $4500+ - it went up over $1000 in one year.

I remember driving my Toyota Corolla 1200 to Miontana -

- gas was about 50 cents/gallon,car got 40-50 MPG.

The

70's were great to grow up in - unless you were into drugs/alcohol.

Some of us weren't into that garbage back then.

- Doug

look what you've started Cheg!! - On Any Sunday is a great movie - and gives some insight as to why the world loved Steve McQueen (or Harvey Mushman, as he called himself when he entered the race at Lake Elsinore). i was born in 71, so i heard about that movie at my cousins place for the first time in 78,he was 15 years older than me and had a 70 Boss 302 AND a 510. When the VCR first came out, we got a BetaMax and that was one of the first movies i rented! 20 years later i got a 75 Honda 250 Elsinore. unless Speed TV is lying to me, that race is still run at Lake Elsinore and its now called the Harvey Mushman Classic. Speed TV had a 'Any Sunday' Reunion special a couple years ago - it was really cool seeing the same guys from the movie today.

Interesting thing about Figbuck's post is thats all the stuff my parents tried to hide me from - and they were successful until that post!!! i didn't even know there was an R rated version of Saturday night fever...all i remember is Starwars, i was 7. saw it twice!

Look up Gumball Rally - one of the best movies ever. they beat on REAL Cobras and REAL Daytona Ferrari's...

that movie is excellent!

That's funny. I lived the 70's but I don't remember much.

:lol:

almost made it into the 80's before i started "forgetting" :blink:

Figbuck hit it right on the head.

he's good like that!

sounds like Big Wednesday.