Which 280zx rear setup

freekwonder

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The later one should have the better brake calipers on it. One will look normal, and the other will look weird. Get the normal ones. The turbo will also have CV shafts, and the 80 will have regular u joints. But, it will almost all eb useless to you unless you have some fab skills. The only thing that you could simply bolt onto the 510 would be the R180.

Edited by yellowdatsun

I know the r200 will need some mustach work, medium fab skills isn't a problem. Between myself and my friend that is a welder/fabricator by profession.

As for the rear control arms, I was under the impression from other forums that they bolt right up but adds to much toe in, which isn't a problem because my rear crossmember has already be modified to let me change camber and toe.

I'm leaning towards the '82 setup.

It will fit, the r200 cv's go in but it is a tight fit and they will bind a little bit. This is if you swap in the control arms as well. I did that and had to flip them over. The arm are big and clunky though. I personally would stick with the r180 unless you plan on running crazy power. The r200 with the rear arms are just heavy. Unless you cut some metal out of the arms.

Thanks for the help guys.

Are there really any real disadvantage to the '80 rear brakes, I've got ZX struts up front and I don't plan to run crazy horse power (350 max) and that is still years down the road. I was going to grab the r200 rear end then he brought up the fact of the r180 rear end. I was thinking with the r180 rear end, and the ZX control arms I would have a chance to use my stock axles?

280ZX trailing arms will not work unless you have coil overs, there's no bucket for the springs, since the 280ZX already has coilovers. I was also under the impression that the ZX arms are wider than the 510, which could cause problems on a stock 510. The R200 is HUGE, and also very heavy. Weighs almost as much as a transmission. So unless you really NEED it, use the R180.

The early calipers are very hokey, and are made from bent flat sheets of steel, not cast into a shape like regular calipers. Probably a reason nobody makes them like that anymore. Stick with the good ones.

280ZX trailing arms will not work unless you have coil overs, there's no bucket for the springs, since the 280ZX already has coilovers. I was also under the impression that the ZX arms are wider than the 510, which could cause problems on a stock 510. The R200 is HUGE, and also very heavy. Weighs almost as much as a transmission. So unless you really NEED it, use the R180.

i remember the 2 trailing arms being pretty close. But then again this was like 7 years ago and I was running box flares, so i didn't notice any change. And yah, that r200 is freakin heavy. I also used coilovers for this setup.

When i was running a l20 and dual mikuni 44's, r180 with 4:11 felt really good.

280zx arms will push your wheels outward...by how much I can't tell you. And the toe will be different...and the hub is at a different height in relation to the arm/crossmember...and the coilover mount is in a completely different location...and...and...

280zx on the left, stock 510 on the right.

DSCF2306.jpg

Edited by thisismatt

What if you swaped the Zx arms from side to side. the mount for the shock would be closer to the stock 510 one. Also this might help with the toe issue also. And from the looks it would lower it a little based on where the axle comes through the arm. I will see how it all goes together.

I am thinking of building my own pick up points. to make it fully adjustable

http://www.aa-mfg.com/pdshop/images/aa-410-a.jpg

Yeah, that's a possibility. I don't think you can easily flip them and still use CV's, but I'm not 100% sure. The coilover mount is a lot closer to the cv joint than the stock 510 arm shock mount, so if you flip the arms I think your coilover is going to intersect the cv joint. I do need to try flipping them to see if that gains me any more clearance for lowering.

Those brackets look a little thin on the outside. It's not terribly hard to make your own with basic tools - I did: DSCF2362.jpg

As for the brackets they are 3/16" and only $15, just for a reference or starting point. As for the shock mount I will cross that bridge when I get there. I am working on a similar setup. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Make my swap easier when I am ready.:D

What if you swaped the Zx arms from side to side. the mount for the shock would be closer to the stock 510 one. Also this might help with the toe issue also. And from the looks it would lower it a little based on where the axle comes through the arm. I will see how it all goes together.

Thats what i did. It works, but you still have more toe in than the stock setup. But toe is fixed by slotting or making adjustable brackets on the rear xmember. Coilovers did clear the cv shafts. But i guess it depends on what set up you use.

Thanks for the info. I thought it might work, and you confirmed it. Sweet. And knowing the Axles and coilover mount/shock mount will clear. Btw How much wider is the 280zx Set up? And What Size wheel are you running in the rear fo0manchu? I hope to run a 16x8 and am curious as to what offset I will need to run on my 2dr Dime, Or how far inboard I have to move the Arms?:D

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the r180, control arms and axles. Hopefully I can get it up in the car tomorrow and see how much they pushed the wheels out. Luckily I do have coil overs. As for the toe, I've got the penultimate crossmember from dime quarterly. I just need to get some mustache bar bushings. I ordered the ones that I found on the realm, but they are to small. I need the bigger ones.

12649_1268890438239_1109180266_844083_8166932_n.jpg