Advice on VG30 510

sjg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have driven a couple of them and to be honest wasnt to impressed decent power and a very good amont of torque but for the extra 90 lbs build a KAde and turbo it and have more of both HP and Torque. then again I havent driven a turbo version of the VG yet

Clayton

All depends on your intended purposes. I am building a VG car now and have driven one before I decided to do the swap. I plan to use my car as weekend cruiser for the street. No track days or auto-x events. I want a car that drives nicely, has good power, lots of torque, reliablity and fuel economy too. Ease of access to parts, etc.

The KA is almost as heavy as the VG and the KA has less torque. Mileage might be better in a KA but not enough difference to matter.

To answer your question, any additional weight will affect the handling of a 510 but when you swap a VG or a KA, some of the extra weight is in the trans which more the weight more towards the rear and if you move your battery to the trunk the additional weight on the front wheels will not be all that noticable. If you are building a track only car, you will probalby feel it, if it is mostly a street car, I would not worry about the extra weight. Keep in mind the other things that will add weight too. Like brake upgrades, larger exhaust, turbos, etc.

As someone eluded to the extra weight is in the transmission. The weight difference between a L-16 and a vg 3000 is 40 lbs -headers. The way my thinking works is why build the crap out of a 4-banger and sacrafice smoothness and reliability. With a nice installation the v-6 looks like it belongs in there.

As someone eluded to the extra weight is in the transmission. The weight difference between a L-16 and a vg 3000 is 40 lbs -headers. The way my thinking works is why build the crap out of a 4-banger and sacrafice smoothness and reliability. With a nice installation the v-6 looks like it belongs in there.

Agreed.

A VG33 makes 180HP in stock form and 195 ft/pounds of torque. Once you gfet rid of the restrictive exhaust and the catalytic converter and add a cold air intake, it will be plenty of power for most street driven 510s.

thanks everyone. my thoughts are of a car for the weekends that stays in turne between runs and is easy/easier to service. I'm buying the vg30 car. Any advice on adding sway bars or not to the car? It has a full suspension (coil overs) with 200+ spring rate to accoomodate the bigger motor. I was told sway bars might be over kill to the suspension and create "bindindg"? What kind of front sway bar would i purchase? The car obviously wont use stock with a 6 cyl under the hood, do they make bars for this set up?

thanks again.

I've ridden in a VG30 powered 510 around Willow Springs raceway, so I can honestly say that there are NO ill effects on handling. I have a VG30 in my car as well and absolutely love it. Something to be said for mashing the throttle at 1k rpm's and breaking the tires loose. Not peaky like a turbo motor. Plus, as mentioned earlier I can find any part I need, anywhere I go.

We have a KA SR and VG at Franks place, I've been looking for a scale at work to find out what the real weight difference is. I would like to weigh all 3 with the same scale and the same bolt ons.

We have a KA SR and VG at Franks place, I've been looking for a scale at work to find out what the real weight difference is. I would like to weigh all 3 with the same scale and the same bolt ons.

I would love to see this info so please do it. We would finally have the true weights.

I have read that the vg30 was the lightest production V6 of its day. I am really a power hungry guy. One of my other cars is a highly modified BMW M Coupe that had been dyno'd at over 600 wheel. I have considered turbo charging my car, but the VG has great power, a great power band (especially if you do a cam) and great flexibility.

I have run the full 4.5 Mile road course out at Miller Motorsports park with the local porsche club chapter. I usually stage in front. Of 20 cars in the intermediate run group I only get passed 3 to 5 times. Last run was especially epic because I was chased by a GT3RS for about 3/4's of a mile through the twisties, and I waved him by on the main straight as he was on his way to 145 MPH where my flying VG powered brick only hits about 110. (I hit 175 in the BMW and I lost my nerve to go any more!). Other cars I got passed that run group was a 996 turbo, 996 gt3, and a cayman s. My 510 can hang with all of them in the tighter section of the course.

I think eventually I will bump the compression up, go to a 3.3 liter, and modify the restrictive 200sx plenum. Also remember that I live at about 4500' of elevation. At sea level, its a beast.

I have a turbo kit engineered for it on paper (dual gt28rs turbos). It will take lots of money to do correctly, but part of me just loves the way it is. I like the sound of a N/A VG30 in a 510 also. In mine also, the motor sits really far back. Many comment on how well it fits in there.

im really interested in more info about weight differences i love how my car drives and handles now and i would love to do a vg swap (i cant justify a swap without getting more cylinders) and i like tourqe orver peak power so the vg seems to be the way to go

doing a cam is a great upgrade. Before the cam power fell completely off at between 5000 and 5500 rpms, now it maintains power all the way up to 7000. Having an wider power band, with no noticeable difference in idle or low end power transformed the vg. I went with the Jim Wolf Cam. I wish I would have documented the before/after with dyno's. Bottom line is its a great upgrade.

• Like 1

Here are a couple of pages on weights regarding 510's and engine swaps:

http://www.datsuns.com/510/pl510weights.htm

http://www.datsuns.com/510/510_weight_discussion.htm

From the 2nd link: " hung a VG30 with manifolds, headers and flywheel from a 1000lb scale. Came it at 355 lbs. A similarly equipped L20B, with SUs came in at 260lbs."