Project: '69 521 Z20ET

kaliboy96

Hey guys Im still kinda new to the Ratsun scene but this is my third datsun truck. I have owned a '71 620 a '70 520 and this is my latest and greatest project my 1969 521 with a mildly built Z20ET (NAPZ MOTOR very interesting!!). I purchased this baby half way through its build from a buddy of mine. He ran out $ :D so his loss was totally my gain. I have already spent quite a bit moolah and am sure I will spend more over the way! So here is the beginning of my thread, I am still very new to the Fabrication and Heavyline stuff so I will have tons of questions! So far this is whats been done.

Turbo Z20E Motor

EFI

Lightweight Flywheel

Mild Cam

Greddy Type RS BOV

EI Dizzy

3" Piping

Intercooler

King Bearings and Seals

Short Throw Shifter

MSD 6a

Blaster 2 Coil

Turbonetics Deltagate II Wastegate

Beebani Disc Conversion (Thanks Beebani!)

280ZX Dual Master Cylinder

Custom Gauges

8 Pt Roll Cage

and much more but I am half tired!! :fu:

Still to come:

Ball Bearing T3/T4 Turbo

Gotech Mini X Stand Alone System (goodbye MAF)

3" Exhaust Meghan Racing Muffler and Resonator

Racing Radiator

Larger Injectors

240sx EFI and Fuel Rail

Air Bag Set-UP

Carbon Fiber Hood

Racing Seats and Harnesses

Custom Stereo System

Kick Panels

Interior

Rag Top Sunroof

and whatever else I can come up with along the journey:rolleyes:

First Stages

TurboD.jpg

TurboD2.jpg

Pay not attention to the crap in the back!:fu: Its my parts storage for now!

DSCN2003.jpg

Old pic of the new engine (if that makes sense notice the plastic oil feed line to the turbo):lol:

IMAG0110.jpg

Inside and the old gauges!

IMAG0115.jpg

Greddy Blow Off Valve

IMAG0111.jpg

Look at this ridiculous 8 plug Distributor (not datsuns best ideal!)

IMAG0112.jpg

What a Mean Stance!:fu:

IMAG0113.jpg

Newer photo of engine (notice the steel braided Turbo feed line) AhA!

DSCN2007.jpg

and how pretty the standard 4 plug cap looks!

DSCN2043.jpg

New Dual Reservoir Master Cylinder (custom mounted by me):blink:

DSCN2044.jpg

aaaaand the MC's connected to D21 calipers!

DSCN2049.jpg

aaaaaand the Calipers connected to Isuzu Rotors!

DSCN2048.jpg

Some Nissan Xterra seats I just threw in. Soon to be replaced!

DSCN2051.jpg

Still a lot to be done inside but its a start!

DSCN2050.jpg

Better pics of the new gauges (Tach still gotta be mounted to Roll Cage)

DSCN2005.jpg

Think I am keeping these rims maybe have em powder coated to match?

DSCN2008.jpg

Soon all of the Civics and Integs will b seeing this in their rearview (with a hood though) :fu:

DSCN2004.jpg

I am going to put some more work in tomorrow, might even have a video of the first fire up. I ll be sure to post everything as I go. Hope you guys enjoyed thus far!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! The wheels are Primax racing wheels, the look made for racing so they are going to stay I dont need the weight of the big guys! Yes this was Charles truck he has been very instrumental in my Datsun P.H.D Im going over in a few to finish the hard brake lines and try and get her fired up! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, okay I am just about ready to start ripping up some roads, I got the drive shaft in, the slave cylinder installed, and some other minor things, but ran into a few roadblocks thought maybe I could get some help. First of I think I got all the wiring figured out, I am running a 81 200sx harness for a NapZ motor and was having some issues with not getting a spark, it used to have 2 coils now I am running the Blaster 2 so I had to play with the circuit tester to find the hots just to find out that a resistor was bad damn thing...luckily Charles had an extra harness and we were able to get it changed out quickly. So after we got all that going we tried to turn the thing over and while playing with the distributor it sounded like it was going to start but then we ran out of juice and couldnt get any turns only clicking... we swapped out the battery from charles 510 first turn sounded good then same issue. We know his battery is good because it fired his car right up when we put it back in. We had my battery on the charger and it seemed to be holding a charge but when we put it back in we get 2-3 cranks and then nothing... Any ideas on what might be draining power? I have only hooked up the gauges nothing else electrical has been added yet so I am at a lost would love to hear some ideals!!!:D

Also can anyone give me a rough course in adjusting the Air/Fuel mix via the MAF on this thing I know it has something to do with the the little gear and the tension spring but thats about it.... Thanks I look forward to the answers and I will post some new pics soon!:lol:

Battery is mounte in the back! I checked the wires and it did have a little effect but I think it was the absence of the power wire running from starter to alternator dont know why? But since then it is firing right up! I am about an hour away from getting this thing road worthy. I have a new question:

How do I route the vacuum hoses to the Blow off valve, because right now it is not doing anything. Does it need to be running from the turbo or from the EFI? A diagram or loose installation would be nice! Thanks!

run a vacuum line from the manifold to the BOV. Line needs to be some where between the throttle body and cylinder head. Don't tee it off the fuel pressure regulator though.

To adjust air/fuel, get it tuned or you can get okay adjustments from an safc. But if you are not running that much boost, you might get lucky with bigger injectors. Get a wideband, the narrowband gauge you got won't work as a tool for tuning.

Good luck! looks fun!

Does anybody know what lines should run together as far as Vacuum and which lines should be together as far as boost? Forced induction is new to me so I want to make sure everything is routed right before I get crazy!

If anybody has a basic diagram that shows me what to keep together on both sides as far as Vacuum and Boost that would be great!:blink:

oh man oh man, i suggest you do a lot more reading on turbo's. It would suck to blow your motor because its not tuned or hooked up right. Here is some good reading. http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/turbo_systems_tech_center.html

to answer your question:

Wastegate line-hook that up to a line on your compressor housing(don't tee off)

BOV- any vacuum line coming off your intake manifold, but don't tee off your FPR.

Vacuum and "boost" lines are the same. Engine sees vacuum when the turbo is not spooled up enough to make boost. Once it spools up enough to create "boost" you get pressure in the lines. So if you have a boost gauge, anything in the negative is vacuum and any thing in the positive is boost.

Yea I dont know much bout Forced Induction so I am learning lucky for me I still have the original owner helping me get things right!

I have another question though!

We got the truck running and tuned in good enough to drive until I get the Stand Alone next month but the distributor is turned past the mounting plate so we have nothing to lock the distributor in place. I am running the L base plate from an L28 motor, I bought the distributor on ebay and it cam with this piece to use. Any suggestions on how to get them to line up so I can tighten it down and drive already!! Thanks guys!

That would be great I am not sure what motor this distributor came off of but here is the link to the ebay ad I bought it off of looks just like this one!

Lemme know if its doable and how long it would take!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-510-620-E1280-Performance-Electronic-Distributor_W0QQitemZ160384743624QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2557acf8c8

Look at this ridiculous 8 plug Distributor (not datsuns best ideal!)

IMAG0112.jpg

and how pretty the standard 4 plug cap looks!

DSCN2043.jpg

Why is it not Nissan's best idea? How is 4 plug better, because it looks better?

The dual plug system has major advantages besides the obvious emissions reducing aspect. Dual plugs allow you to run way less advance than a single plug because the burn time is much shortened but you still get the same performance. Shorter burn time means less heat loss to the surrounding head and piston surfaces, more work available to move the piston. Less chance of detonation, a critical factor on boosted engines. The stock timing on a dual plug Z20E head is about 6 degrees, it's 3 degrees on a Z24! The single plug L20B timing is 12 degrees, while not a perfect comparison some conclusions can be drawn from this. Trust the Nissan engineers, they aren't idiots. Ask any serious racer if he would prefer a dual plug head over a single.

When you get this going, spend a weekend putting the dual plug dizzy and coils back on and try it then. Bet you get better boost without detonation and the timing plate will work too.

Oh, if you are going to run that single plug for a while I would remove those exhaust side sparkplugs and plug the holes. Those electrode tips will get glowing hot when boosting and be a source of pre-ignition.

Not sure how much the old style 'batch fire injection' will handle the extra air being pulled in during boost. You should have the Z18ET ECU and MAF. (you didn't say) Got O2 sensor

Edited by datzenmike

That dizzy is the same one used on 1980 720 trucks with a 4cyl. L series motor. I used to make them by using a 280zx dizzy and pulling the guts out of the inside of a early 80`s 310/210 dizzy. Simple two wire hookup, hell I used to have a whole box full of parts. BTW , very cool build. What are you using to retard timing under boost? Is the MSD 6AL box also a boost timing master? Are you aware that when using a MSD box you can wire the dizzy directly to the MSD unit and get rid of the black "matchbox" on the side. The Violet wire is connected to the "B" lead and the Green is connected to the "C" lead. I used basically the same distributor for years on my first L series 6cyl turbo nitrous motor with a MSD digital 6 and a boost timing master. If you can post detailed pics of what you need I will see if I still have a few parts lying around.

If you are planning on using the 8 spark plug distributor as datzunmike suggested and still want to use the MSD CDI here is some info on how to wire the setup from MSD. Unfortunatly it will take two MSD boxes and coils.

http://www.msdignition.com/forum/archive/index.php/index.php?t-8064.html

Edited by 510six